Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The President & the Revolution

The Pres compares the war on terror with the Revolutionary
    War..
    http://www.yahoo.com/s/511322

MOUNT VERNON, Va. -
    President Bush honored the 275th birthday of the nation's first president on Monday, likening George Washington's long struggle that gave birth to a nation to the war on global terrorism.

"Today, we're fighting a new war to defend our liberty and our people and our way of life," said Bush, standing in front of Washington's home and above a mostly frozen Potomac River.

"And as we work to advance the cause of freedom around the world, we remember that the father of our country believed that the freedoms we secured in our revolution were not meant for Americans alone."
    I wonder if the terrorists are thinking the same thing..?

Re: The President & the Revolution

Who cares...

That's a terrible comparison. Why? Because it's easier to compare the terrorists with the Revolutionaries and us with the tyrannical British. Does it hold water? No, but it's a lot more valid than his.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Bull Shit. Washington just threw his wood teath at Bush in his grave.

What a pussbucket.

What does Mr Bush now about revolution ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzo View Post
    Eve of Destruction

I read and remember a few things about the British insurgency in the 1780's it took years to stabilize the country after we defeated the British.Not everyone wanted to become separated from the English however . I am not an expert on the revolution I do however remember learning some of that back in school years ago. I'm sure Bush has a little knowledge of the revolutionary War.

What do you "know" about the American revolution Ezzo?

I don't agree with the Revolutionary War analogy but I do agree with this: "Today, we're fighting a new war to defend our liberty and our people and our way of life"
    Brian

And by "defending" our way of life, we will sacrifice every civil liberty we can

He is all talk, and the talk is thin. Can't wait for '08.

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    What do you "know" about the American revolution Ezzo?
    I understand that when the people are suppressed by the goverment
    They will fight for their freedom.

And that is, what started the independece war in 1775 - 1783.
    If I had been there I would have been fighting England, until I dye.

Even if live in Sweden and had limit resources back in the 70'ths to read about the US independece war ,
    I know by heart that I have always been fighting for the the people that has been mistreated.

I can not say that I understand everything, since I didn't live in that period of time.
    But I know I hate goverment suppression.

George III was a stupied King in England !

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    And by "defending" our way of life, we will sacrifice every civil liberty we can
    Ya... a vocal few claim our liberties are being infringed... so it must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    He is all talk, and the talk is thin. Can't wait for '08.
    As opposed to the "new" majorities in the congress and senate who are busying themselves debating non binding resolutions. And GWB is all talk? If so.. he has a LOT of company. Why wait for "08"? You can watch the same do-nothings that will be running for office in "08" right now.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Bush is clutching at straws on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzo View Post
    I understand that when the people are suppressed by the goverment They will fight for their freedom.

And that is, what started the independece war in 1775 - 1783.
    If I had been there I would have been fighting England, until I dye.

Even if live in Sweden and had limit resources back in the 70'ths to read about the US independece war ,
    I know by heart that I have always been fighting for the the people that has been mistreated.

I can not say that I understand everything, since I didn't live in that period of time.
    But I know I hate goverment suppression.
    Well let's first look a little closer to home shall we? What about Norway's 91 year (1814-1905) independence struggle from Sweden?

George III was a stupied King in England !
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    Bush is clutching at straws on this one.
    Well let's first look a little closer to home shall we? What about Norway's 91 year (1814-1905) independence struggle from Sweden?

Ref: Norway

After Denmark-Norway was attacked by Britain, it entered into an alliance with Napoleon, and in 1814 found itself on the losing side in the
    Napoleonic Wars and in dire conditions and mass starvation in 1812.

The Dano-Norwegian Oldenburg king was forced to cede Norway to the king of Sweden.
    Norway took this opportunity to declare independence, adopted a constitution based on American and French models, and elected the Danish
    crown prince Christian Fredrik as king on May 17, 1814.

However, Sweden militarily forced Norway into a personal union with Sweden, establishing the Bernadotte dynasty as rulers of Norway.
    Under this arrangement, Norway kept its liberal constitution and independent institutions, except for the foreign service.
    Denmark tried to uphold control over Norway, even after they signed the treaty with Sweden.
    What Sweden wanted in this time, was to disable Denmark from attacking us from Norway.

Sweden had at this time, been in war with Denmark, from time to time, over several 100 Th's of years.
    Denmark of course didn't liked the fact that Sweden had taken Skåne from them.

And yes it would have been good if Norway had been independent in 1814, but could they ?
    The Danish influence was to great.

Anyhow I feel that Sweden was fortunate to have a new crown prince in 1810, Charles XIV John of Sweden.
    With him, Sweden's war on foreign soil ended, apart from 1814 with Norway.

I like the fact that Norway become independent in 1905, it could have happened a lot sooner though.

As you probably know, United Kingdom was behind the union between Sweden and Norway.
    Norway's capital town Oslo, has a famous street, "Karl Johan".
    After some time they started to like him too.

Reference,

Note. Sweden was an driving factor in the 30 years of war, until peace in 1648.

The 30 years of war, occurred over 150 years before the American independence war.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, no2guncntrl
    Last edited by Ezzo; 02-20-2007 at 08:54 AM.

Dig a little more on the American revolution and you will see

I have the film "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson.
    No need for digging

Edit,
    I'm into the War of 1812-1815, now .
    Last edited by Ezzo; 02-20-2007 at 11:10 AM.