FM/AM radio tuner for PC

Any free software to do this?

What I meant is not internet radio, but local (FM/AM) radio channels

Thanks
    Mozilla Firefox 2.0: Easy to use, simple yet customizable, and it's FREE. (Well, 2.0 is kinda suck actually, I went back to 1.5)

Rig II: HP Compaq dx6100MT (P4-520, 1GB, 40GB), Winfast Geforce 6600 128MB, Logitech diNovo (RF)'s Cordless Ultra-Flat, Logitech MX610, Kingston DataTraveler ReadyFlash 1GB, Windows Vista Ultimate. (WEI: 4.0)

Rig III: Mac Mini (1.66GHz, 1GB, 60GB), Logitech Cordless Desktop S530 Laser for Mac, Mac OS X 10.4.10

Both sharing a GTC 17" TFT LCD Monitor

Re: FM/AM radio tuner for PC

You are going to need an add-in card to do this, there is no way only software will do it. I did a search and you will probably have to get a TV tuner card that also has an FM tuner built-in. I dont see any radio only cards.
    Your other option would be to find a regular stereo tuner, not a receiver, but just a tuner. These used to be very popular, and many are available used for cheap. Then just feed the output from the tuner into your sound cards input.

most the programs are proprietary .. that come with the hardware . the only ones ive seen that are free and dont come with hardware were for linux.
    I have a dlink usb radio
    : on the otherhand there are free video capture programs they may have that functionality built in
    Last edited by PaternityTest; 02-20-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    You are going to need an add-in card to do this, there is no way only software will do it. I did a search and you will probably have to get a TV tuner card that also has an FM tuner built-in. I dont see any radio only cards.
    Your other option would be to find a regular stereo tuner, not a receiver, but just a tuner. These used to be very popular, and many are available used for cheap. Then just feed the output from the tuner into your sound cards input.
    That's what I did (buy a tuner). I was unable to find a TV/radio card that had AM. Some have FM but I found nothing with AM.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

I've never seen AM. I don't know why they're not made, but they pretty much don't exist.
    -soplcod

is the d-link usb radio still exist, i can't find it on their website?

is it discontinued?
    Mozilla Firefox 2.0: Easy to use, simple yet customizable, and it's FREE. (Well, 2.0 is kinda suck actually, I went back to 1.5)

Rig II: HP Compaq dx6100MT (P4-520, 1GB, 40GB), Winfast Geforce 6600 128MB, Logitech diNovo (RF)'s Cordless Ultra-Flat, Logitech MX610, Kingston DataTraveler ReadyFlash 1GB, Windows Vista Ultimate. (WEI: 4.0)

Rig III: Mac Mini (1.66GHz, 1GB, 60GB), Logitech Cordless Desktop S530 Laser for Mac, Mac OS X 10.4.10

Both sharing a GTC 17" TFT LCD Monitor

If you Google Search: USB AM radio tuner, you'll see a few different products exist that can do what you're after. Easier to find than PCI AM/FM tuners. It might be cheaper to buy a little radio with headphone or RCA output and connect that to a line in on your sound card.

Cool, I've never seen those! That would be nice and simple. You learn something new every day.
    -soplcod

I picked up the RadioShark at CompUSA for 50% off. Tuner sensitivity is poor and the sound quality sucks for music, but talk radio is okay. I use it to record Art Bell and George Noory on Coast To Coast AM and it works fine for that.
    Never deprive someone of hope... it may be the only thing they have.

Quote Originally Posted by sopclod View Post
    I've never seen AM. I don't know why they're not made, but they pretty much don't exist.
    Take a small AM radio and tune it to a station. No set it inside your computer and see what happens. That's why they basically do not exist or are rather expensive. I have a small portable Grundig AM/FM radio at work that I ran a cable from the headphone jack to the line input on the sound card, it works really well, but consider when getting one make sure the headphone output is stereo.

Now when I had a Dell GX-270 I had the stretch the radio as far away as the audio cable would allow and do some strange acrobatics with the wire and the radio to get relatively noise/buzz free AM sound. Now that I have a machine that I built, the radio sits on top of the case all the way toward the front and is mostly quiet. If you move or twist it the wrong way though it will still get noise.
    ------------------------------------------------