Cable management help?

I just built a new PC and as usual, my cable management is a nightmare. Initially I had cables everywhere clogging up nearly the entire glass window on my Raidmax Smilodon. After attempting to fix the problem, I managed to get one fan cable snaked along the side of the case, and the rest of the cables were still everywhere. I sort of just jammed them all into an open 3.5 floppy area and well, I don't like it.

Are there any posts or sites that can detail how to properly manage cables, because I have yet to figure it out?

Re: Cable management help?

It's going to be a bit different for every case and given set of components and mobo.

Tip: Zip Ties / Bread Twisters / velcro straps are your friends. I ordered a 5 pack of the velcro straps and use those for the larger cables coming out of the psu in order to keep them from going all over.

I use the zip ties or bread twisters for the individual cables whre I have to put 1 or 2 together and then find a hole in my case to tie it off and keep it out of the way. I dn't have a window, so I don't care a whole lot about what it looks like, I focus on moving things out of the way of fan blades and for air flow.....but it usually looks decent enough.

If you want to get really adventurous, and don't spend the extra money from company that does this for you, you can get into shrink-wrapping your cables - looks good and you can get sheathing that is UV sensitive or temp sensitive.

http://www.xoxide.com/wiremanagement.html
    http://cableorganizer.com/computing/
    http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2005...g_guide/1.html

You'd be surprised at how much you can tuck down the back side of the 5¼" and 3½" bays. The cable for the ATX main connector usually fits down the side nicely. I usually plug this in last 'cos it helps keep everything under it (like ribbon cables and power cables) from popping out. Probably not the best way to go for eliminating interference or radiation but usually the 80 core IDE cables are grounded well enough to deal with this.

The front panel connector cables can usually be cable-tied down the side of the 3½" bays. The black and yellow 4-pin 12V connector that usually plugs in up near the CPU can usually have it's cable stuffed under the motherboard and quite often you can squeeze leftover cables between the top of the PSU or optical drive so it's wedged between that and the top of the case. If I'm working with ribbon cables, I'll usually run them parallel to the back of the case (alongside the motherboard) so they don't interfere with airflow, With fan cables I'll usually look for anything and everything that they can be tucked under so they run along the edges or out of sight.

PSU's play a big part in cable management. Lots of PSU's have a horrible intertwined mess of cables coming out of the main unit. Some are well arranged. If they're not arranged nicely, it's a labour intensive job to rectify that. I have an Antec NeoHE PSU (and a Neo480). Both are modular and both have all sleeved cables. I'd rather do that than go through the headache of rearranging and sleeving them myself. That's just me though.

A word of warning, don't use rubber bands to secure cables. They will disintegrate into a sticky mess. It's pretty easy to get a good cabling job done with no more than 2 or 3 cable ties and a bit of ingenuity. Maybe check out some computer shop display PC's and see how they're cabled. Usually a good PC shop will practise good cabling.

if you ever buy a new cpu i highly recommend performance pc's, with frozen cpu coming in a close second. performance pc's has tons of psu's to choose from and they'll sleeve your psu to your likeing, heck they'll sleeve anything and everything you buy from them if you want them to. the extra cost is well worth it. you can choose your sleeve color and shrink warp color as well as chose a differetn color or type of molex connector.

frozen cpu does much of this as ell but i find them a bit more expensive and they don't seem to have as big a selection.

a nice sleeved psu is very attractive in a windowed case.

i have a lian li pc75 with a very large window and i have managed to keep my wiring very tidy, i'd like to do better but it gets expensive when you have to buy special length cables just to have them hiden away.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

btw, here's a few pics of my cable management. the first two are my current a64 rig, it's chnged a little bit since i took those pics, actully a bit tidier now, should be more so when i get my new parts tomorrow.

most cables are hidden behind the mobo tray, some i snaked out between the frame of the case and the front bezel of the case, and others are hidden behind the 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch bays.

the last pic is of my axp rig, it has windows on boths sides as well as the top, makes hiding anything nearly impossible, my solution was to let it all show and i applied split wire loom to try and make it look nice, it's ok, but the loom is bulky and the sheer number of wires is kind of hard to make look nice.
    Last edited by Brandito; 02-22-2007 at 01:25 PM.

i dont know if its a good idea or not but on the last pc i made for my dad, i ran alot of the wires behind the motherboard, that got a really clean looking case...if i can get a pic of it ill post it.
    Asus A8N SLi Premium
    AMD Opteron 170 @ 2.735Ghz (1.45 Vcore)
    2 gig Muskin pc4000 performance ram @228 Mhz
    1x 500 gig western digital
    1x 74 gig raptor
    XFX geforce 7900GTX
    GameXstream OCZ 600 watt PS
    Lian li pc-7fn
    Clawsome

i dont know if its a good idea or not but on the last pc i made for my dad, i ran alot of the wires behind the motherboard, that got a really clean looking case...if i can get a pic of it ill post it.
    Great idea, taping wires in behind the mb is rule #1. Hiding the wires behind anything else that will hide a wire is rule #2. IMO sleeving only results in a nice looking mess of wires, but still a mess of wires. Here is a busy mid tower:

Asus A8N32SLI Deluxe
    Opty 170
    2x512 Shikaxram
    Acoustic Edge Monsoon MM2000
    Chenbro SR107
    wc'ing XFLOW GTS360, Storm G4, mcp350
    EVGA 8800GTS
    Neovo E19A Display

Quote Originally Posted by Fillman View Post
    IMO sleeving only results in a nice looking mess of wires, but still a mess of wires.
    all well and good if you don't use a windowed case. if you do sleeved wires sure make those rainbow colored wires look silly.

if you have a non-windowed case then excesive cable management is almost pointless to an extent. improving airflow is the main goal, to do that you don't need them completely hidden, if you use a windowed case then hiding them completely is pretty cool, but why bother if no one will ever see it?
    Last edited by Brandito; 02-22-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks everyone, this has been very helpful. I didn't even know running cables behind the mobo was an option until this thread! Hopefully I can get this cleaned up a bit and increase my airflow in the process.

Let us know how you go! Although you can stuff wires behind there, be sure that they're not too tight in there. You'd hate for a solder end to pierce the insulation on some cable and short the system.

Fillman, I think you did a great job on yours. I spent a good amount of time on mine and this was the best I could do:

Last edited by Lenny; 02-23-2007 at 10:00 PM.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

I've spent a lot of time on mine and haven't gotten it too great, but I don't think the airflow is terrible, most of the mess is out of the way of the fans that actually run.

Here's mine (click for a bigger version):

I maybe spent a little more time on my dad's. I also did the cable management as I built it since there was no rush on his (total replacement vs. innards swap for me).

Dad's:

Of course, the cable-management hooks built into the back side of the HDD cage were VERY handy.

Last edited by mlevy; 02-24-2007 at 11:10 AM.
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 700 watt Thermaltake modular PSU
    Asus Crosshair III Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 BE
    4 GB OCZ BE
    EVGA GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896 MB
    WD 1600JB (7200 RPM, 160 GB, 8 MB cache), external drive now
    Samsung DVD burner
    WD1000FALS 1 TB

Here's mine (click for a bigger version):
    May want to try that one again, links to another even smaller thumbnail. Other pics are OK, middle one is a bit dark though. Those hook things do look convenient.
    Asus A8N32SLI Deluxe
    Opty 170
    2x512 Shikaxram
    Acoustic Edge Monsoon MM2000
    Chenbro SR107
    wc'ing XFLOW GTS360, Storm G4, mcp350
    EVGA 8800GTS
    Neovo E19A Display

Thanks, fixed...
    Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 700 watt Thermaltake modular PSU
    Asus Crosshair III Formula