Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Going Core Duo, confused about motherboard, memory, and overclocking

After getting my first dose of asswoopin from supreme commander, Ive decided to go core duo. As much as I would love to hold out for whatever AMD is cooking, I dont think I can. Anyways, Im gonna do a total systems overhaul by april, so between now and then, I need to be educated on whats happening. Ive been outa the loop for way too long.

1. Whats the deal with DDR2? Should I go 533, 667, or 800? With DDR 1 it was so simple since the stock was always 400.

2. Should I get a budget conroe and overclock it with good memory or a med level conroe and budget memory? Which one is the better value once you factor in OC costs like cooling, motherboard, and power? Lets say my budget for CPU, motherboard, and memory is 500$.

3. How do you overclock intel? Does the memory and cpu have to be in sync?

4. Why is the mid level motherboard in the leaderboard 200$? Is that really necessary for conroe?

5. When is Intel or AMD's next move?

Re: Going Core Duo, confused about motherboard, memory, and overclocking

As you've probably noticed, AMD is still popular here even though it's not amdmb.com anymore. Having said that, intel has clearly taken the performance crown from AMD with core 2 duo, aka conroe, which is different than core duo.

Right now your choices for performance chipsets are intel P965, which has been out for a little while, is relatively inexpensive, and there are many good products to choose from. nVidia has also gotten into the game with their nForce 6xxi series of chipsets, but motherboard manufacturers are taking their sweet time releasing boards. They are also quite expensive for the most part.

If I were buying right now, I would go with P965. Boards from Asus, Gigabyte and Biostar are quite good.

One of the things that makes conroe so great is that the processors are very overclockable across the board. For this reason I would suggest going with a lower-end processor and overclocking the hell out of it.

DDR has gone the way of the dodo. When it comes to DDR2, the overall performance of your system isn't tied into the memory as much as it was with DDR. You can get quality DDR2-800 from a known brand like Corsair without spending a lot of money. It doesn't pay to shell out twice as much money for so-called DDR2-1111 "dominator" and the like, in my opinion.

Overclocking with intel is a simple affair, basically you can just crank up the FSB and get an impressive overclock without much fuss.

If you go with a P965 board, you should be aware that intel has attempted to kill off IDE by not supporting it with their newer chipsets. All boards that I have seen have a third party controller with one IDE port, and a few have two.

As far as AMD, they are up a creek until they come out with something competitive. I don't know what they have planned.
    -soplcod

Check out the Intel > Gigabyte forum here - the G965P-DS3 looks VERY popular and it overclocks well.

If you go for some decent DDR2-800 memory, then you should be able to bump up the FSB/CPU from 266 to 400 (DDR2-800) so you'll be overclocking the processor but still running the memory within spec. Go with an 6300 or 6400 chip if you plan to overclock.

The guys over at Gigabyte should be able to give you lots more advice

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Im going to pick up a E6320 when it releases, cause it has 4mb of L2 at the same price. As for memory, whats about right for 2 gigs of solid DDR800? Cause OCZ has 2gb of DDR900 for 179$ -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227153

I just read another hardware review on SC. Turns out it really benefits from 4 gigs of memory. So should I go 4X1gb sticks or 2X2gb?
    Last edited by fatlazyhomer; 02-22-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Yeah the 6320 & 6420 should make for some nice chips for the money! DDR2 seems to be dropping back down in price finally so picking up 2gb of ddr2 800 from a reputable vendor should work fine.

AFAIK the only things that will actually benefit from 4gb of ram are apps specifically coded to take advantage of the extra ram or if you want to run a bunch of applications in the background without thrashing the swap drive.

Vista 64bit will allocate all 4gb or ram if you install it rather than let it sit there idle. I'm guessing it allocates it all and uses it as cache memory but personally I'm not sure if it's made any significant impact on performance, at least nothing I can tell.
    i7 Beast: Asus P6T Deluxe, Intel i7 920 21x191 (4000) HT on 1.3875v, Swiftech GTZ/D5/BIX2
    6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill pi Black DDR3 1600, ECS 9600GT
    CM STACKER 810, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

i7 Game: Asus P6T, Intel i7 920 20x180 (3600) HT on 1.275v, TRU-120
    6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1333 7-7-7-18, MSI GTX260 OCv2, Dell 3007WFP LCD
    CM STACKER 830, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

AMD: Biostar 790GX A2+, PII X4 940BE 17x200, Freezer 64 Pro
    4GB (4x1GB) Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800, Powercolor 4850
    Corsair VX450

As far as the IDE ports, AFAIK the intel 965 and 975 both support one IDE port. So many boards use a separate controller, often Jmicron to control another IDE port and some of the SATA ports.
    My recommendation is to disable the Jmicron controller, it tends to really slow down boot time and can be a bit troublesome, and live with the one IDE port. Especially with SATA DVD burners available for under $40.

Oh shoot! I am currently still pretty wired to IDE. Hm... this is gonna be more complicated than I originally predicted. Does anyone know when Q2 officially starts?

Quote Originally Posted by fatlazyhomer View Post
    Oh shoot! I am currently still pretty wired to IDE. Hm... this is gonna be more complicated than I originally predicted. Does anyone know when Q2 officially starts?
    I know where you're coming from - IDE seems poorly supported on the better motherboards and you don't want to compromise on getting a good board just because you still need IDE.

As a possible solution - consider an add on PCI IDE controller card - both Promise and Adaptec make some really good ones and they're not that expensive. Should even be able to pick one up on ebay. Problem solved

Do controllers compromise performance?

you could also get a ddr mobo,and pin mod it so it boots at 266,2.3 out of teh box.then push teh bus a lil and get there.thats the cheapest way

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Do controllers compromise performance?
    Not that I'm aware of.

If you're seriously going to consider that as an option, might want to just double check your plans first with the guru's over at storage

You can always try those sata to ide adapters, no experience with them personally but its an option.

The only drawback that comes to mind with using pci ide controllers would be the sustained data rate being limited by the pci bus, not sure if there are pci-e ide controllers yet.
    i7 Beast: Asus P6T Deluxe, Intel i7 920 21x191 (4000) HT on 1.3875v, Swiftech GTZ/D5/BIX2
    6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill pi Black DDR3 1600, ECS 9600GT
    CM STACKER 810, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

i7 Game: Asus P6T, Intel i7 920 20x180 (3600) HT on 1.275v, TRU-120
    6GB (3x2GB) G.Skill DDR3 1333 7-7-7-18, MSI GTX260 OCv2, Dell 3007WFP LCD
    CM STACKER 830, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

AMD: Biostar 790GX A2+, PII X4 940BE 17x200, Freezer 64 Pro
    4GB (4x1GB) Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800, Powercolor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Hmm.. well, I guess I COULD convert all my hard drives to SATA, would certainly save alot of space.

Hmm.. well, I guess I COULD convert all my hard drives to SATA, would certainly save alot of space.
    I recently did that, very nice to get rid of all that clutter.

One thing to be aware of if you decide to go with the Gigabyte 965-DS3 (or S3) is that they don'w play well with Value ram and can only boot originally with mem that runs at 1.8 or 1.9v. Some of the faster ram requires 2.0 or more to run and won't allow the Gigabytes to post. They also haven't played as well with OCZ ram. Try Corsair instead.

If you want to go with 4 gigs, get two 2 gig sticks. Overclocking with 4 sticks is much more difficult and usually not as successful.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.