TForce 6100 won't boot... Power problem?

I just bought this board and tried to use my Antec Aria's 300 W psu as the main power source. The main power connector is only 20-pins from the psu, but the female power connector on the mobo is 24-pin. Leaving 4 empty power pins. I plugged the other 4-pin square power plug into the CPU power on the mobo.

There is 2 red LEDs that light up when I connect the the AC, but it won't power on. Is there any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Do I need a different PSU? If so, I probably need a new case because I couldn't find any Antec Aria replacement PSUs with more power.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: TForce 6100 won't boot... Power problem?

This seems to depend from motherboard to motherboard, some need the 24 pin power and others seem to work with 20 pin. If that PSU came with the case then its probably not going to work, sorry. If its only a 20 pin and just 300 watts, i dont think it would work. Is this a standard ATX PSU? If it is then you should be able to pick up a Forton fairly cheap. However if its a mATX or something wierd then you might in fact want a new case.
    Asus A8N SLi Premium
    AMD Opteron 170 @ 2.735Ghz (1.45 Vcore)
    2 gig Muskin pc4000 performance ram @228 Mhz
    1x 500 gig western digital
    1x 74 gig raptor
    XFX geforce 7900GTX
    GameXstream OCZ 600 watt PS
    Lian li pc-7fn
    Clawsome

Quote Originally Posted by seantbro View Post
    I just bought this board and tried to use my Antec Aria's 300 W psu as the main power source. The main power connector is only 20-pins from the psu, but the female power connector on the mobo is 24-pin. Leaving 4 empty power pins. I plugged the other 4-pin square power plug into the CPU power on the mobo.

There is 2 red LEDs that light up when I connect the the AC, but it won't power on. Is there any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Do I need a different PSU? If so, I probably need a new case because I couldn't find any Antec Aria replacement PSUs with more power.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I was able to get mine running with only the 20 pin and the other 4 pin, but it was a 380W PSU, not a 300. It's doubtful that a 300 would be enough, but it would depend on what cpu, vid card, how many drives, etc.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

my tforce 6100 ran flawlessly with a fortron 300w matx psu. it was however a slow starter. by that i mean that going from a zero power state (switched off / unplugged) to a powered state (switched on, waiting for me to press button) i had to wait 3-5 seconds for the capacitors to charge up. then it would fire right up. methinks you need a stronger psu. that said, the fortron ran a sempy @ 8x300 then an a64 @ 12x234, along with a highly clocked 7600gs then 7900gs and 2gb ram...right up until it overheated and popped lol. about 7 months. i would've rma'ed it but i had taken it apart for paint and sleeving. the new one is running solid with the sempy again.

if you are talking 6100-939 then i havent experimented with that.
    TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

I had a similar problem with a new 300 watt Antec psu that came with the case. I went to a 430 watter and booted right up. With the Antec, I could get it to boot into the bios but only for a few seconds. I'd unplug it for a while and the same thing. What light codes are you getting on the mobo?
    Bronson

Im getting this problem.

Its the first two lights that are red and it won't power up at all. Nothing at all.

Man...I just got this board today too.

I have a 400w Antec Smartpower, that should be good enough.

I just fixed it.
    I just pushed the physical power ON button with the lightbulb and it started up.

wtf? why then is my case power jumper not working.

ive seen so many boards not boot or being flaky with the 24 pin thing that i always use 20+4 pin from the start
    dan

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
    I just fixed it.
    I just pushed the physical power ON button with the lightbulb and it started up.

wtf? why then is my case power jumper not working.
    Are you sure that you have it plugged onto the correct pins?
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Thumbs down Re: TForce 6100 won't boot... Power problem?

Yup, I had a power problem too.

I found new Tforce 6100 939s for $72, so I bought one to build with a new retail 3800 X2 from the Egg. I even got a new sata drive, burner etc. I put it all together in a very nice $29 Microfly case, tied up the wires nice, and it looked so purrrdy.

I turned on the Seasonic PSU and diagnostic LEDs came on and said it was ok. Then I hit the power switch and fans all spun up nicely, but there was no video. I started removing all my purrdy wiring and hardware one at a time, but still no video on post. Zero.

I tried different known good RAM, nothing. I tried one stick in every slot, nothing. I tried using a known good 6600, nothing. I tried different monitors for some reason, nothing. All this basic hardware has worked fine for 2 years except the new CPU and board, hmmm.

I decided to take the board out and try it out of the case and test on the foam pad that was in the box since there is a switch on the board. When I took the board off the motherboard tray and flipped it over, there was a nice burned trace about 1/16" wide, 2" long near the CPU, near a sticker where they said it passed QA testing. Yeah, right. I didn't see smoke or smell any fried hardware.

I said bad words, not to mention straightening the pins on the brand new CPU. That AS5 is good stuff, but it is like glue, especially when you haven't run the computer to get it hot.

I have been at this since the mid 80's and have never come across a "new" country fried motherboard, my very first failure. I can't decide to try another Tforce or sumpin' else. This left a real bad taste in my mouth.
    najames