Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Vista & Router Problem

I have a BEFSR41 V.2 Linksys Router that is connected to my 2 PCs using Cable Modem. I have been having an occasional problem with Vista dropping my internet connection. It occurred this morning and I unplugged/replugged the Router and I was able to get online ok.

I looked in my Vista Event Viewer and see that the following error has occurred 5 times in the last 7 days. The error is:

Event 1002, DHCP-Client

"The Ip address lease 192.168.1.35 for the Network address 0018F390EEC6 has been denied by the DHCP Server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)."

The Linksys Support people told me today that v.2 is not Vista compatible and that I need to upgrade to V.4.2.

Before I rush down to buy a new BEFSR41 v4.2, would one of you Pros please give me your advice as to whether I should get the Linksys or perhaps is there a better router for me. Plus, I don't want to buy a router that does not eliminate my problem.

I'm not a gamer and I need the setup to be simple. I found only a few reviews on Wired Routers and one of them was not complimentary of the Linksys BEFSR41 but I'm never sure if it's applicable for my use.

Last edited by megatonone; 03-01-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Re: Vista & Router Problem

Have you tried statically assigning an IP address?

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Have you tried statically assigning an IP address?
    I have not tried this. I'm not sure how to do it. Do I set this in Vista or the Router?

Last edited by megatonone; 03-01-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Select TCP/IP (V4), and manually enter an IP, subnet mask and default gateway. You may like to manually enter your DNS settings too.

Does your router even support IPv6?? Personally, I'd disable that unless you specifically know that you need it and use IPv4.

Select TCP/IP (V4), and manually enter an IP, subnet mask and default gateway. You may like to manually enter your DNS settings too.

Does your router even support IPv6?? Personally, I'd disable that unless you specifically know that you need it and use IPv4.
    Well, I really don't know for sure. Nothing in my Linksys Utility that mentions it. Also, following is a look at my network connection details. I don't see any ip settings under IPv6.

Last edited by megatonone; 03-03-2007 at 10:42 AM.

From what I've seen of Vista through Beta's IPv6 is enabled by default. Best to untick it regardless of whether the router supports it as it can cause problems if you're trying to connect through IPv4. You don't need it.

To add to what Ned said, most of the settings you need to enter in are already listed that last image you posted, so all you need to do is plug those into the IPv4 settings, choosing an IP in the 192.168.1.??? range (not 192.168.1.1) and choose "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" which can be found in the IPv4 properties > Advanced options under the WINS tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    From what I've seen of Vista through Beta's IPv6 is enabled by default. Best to untick it regardless of whether the router supports it as it can cause problems if you're trying to connect through IPv4. You don't need it.

To add to what Ned said, most of the settings you need to enter in are already listed that last image you posted, so all you need to do is plug those into the IPv4 settings, choosing an IP in the 192.168.1.??? range (not 192.168.1.1) and choose "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" which can be found in the IPv4 properties > Advanced options under the WINS tab.
    Thanks for the excellent help! I'll give it a shot and post back after some observation time.

Quote Originally Posted by megatonone View Post
    Thanks for the excellent help! I'll give it a shot and post back after some observation time.
    Thanks - it would be useful to know if that solves the problem for you

Thanks - it would be useful to know if that solves the problem for you
    Well, here's the latest results (or lack thereof:

I set the static Ip, submask, and Default Gateway using the settings indicated below and Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Although not shown in the image below, I unticked the IPv6 in network properties and the results were that I was not able to connect to internet. I'm no whizbang at this so perhaps you'll see some errors/omissions I made.

I should also note that I tried a suggestion from others to disable the autotuninglevel in Vista (netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable) using cmd prompt. I thought it was going to work but after several hours with it disabled, I did lose my internet connection.

Thanks for any comments.

Do you think my problem will be solved with a new Vista compatible Router or is the problem more complex?
    Last edited by megatonone; 03-03-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Might be a good idea to blank out your NIC MAC address in that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by megatonone View Post
    Well, here's the latest results (or lack thereof:

I set the static Ip, submask, and Default Gateway using the settings indicated below and Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Although not shown in the image below, I unticked the IPv6 in network properties and the results were that I was not able to connect to internet. I'm no whizbang at this so perhaps you'll see some errors/omissions I made.
    Looking at your screenshot, it looks like you forgot to manually set your DNS servers.

To test this, try pinging google by name and IP (66.249.93.99). If you can ping by IP but not by name, then it's DNS.

Your DNS servers are shown in one of your previous screenshots - enter them manually (you'll probably only be able to enter the first two, but that's fine).

Looking at your screenshot, it looks like you forgot to manually set your DNS servers.

To test this, try pinging google by name and IP (66.249.93.99). If you can ping by IP but not by name, then it's DNS.

Your DNS servers are shown in one of your previous screenshots - enter them manually (you'll probably only be able to enter the first two, but that's fine).
    Thanks for staying with me on this...I made the changes you suggested but was not able to connect to internet until I disabled DHCP client service on Vista. Now I'm connected and will monitor this. Current setup is below:

Thanks for the comment AZ

OK - lets see how you get on with that

OK - lets see how you get on with that
    I've been monitoring this all day and have not lost connection...However, I am receiving an Event 7001 Error a bunch of times...is this something I need to be concerned with or is there a solution for this? Is this a Vista serive I can turn off without further issues? This service is listed under Vista Services and is set to "Manual". Description is as follows:

"(WinHTTP implements the client HTTP stack and provides developers with a Win32 API and COM Automation component for sending HTTP requests and receiving responses. In addition, WinHTTP provides support for auto-discovering a proxy configuration via its implementation of the Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) protocol"