Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An age check

An age check

Tell me the wage you earned at your first job.

If you fell under the wage laws let's have the $/hr. If you were a paper boy or some such...do the math and come up with a number.

Some of you members may have to translate bronto bones and a flint into an hourly. Make it so.

Mine was $40 bucks a week for ~20 hours work tossin the daily. $2 an hour.

Re: An age check

I worked for the guy next door who was a cabinet/ furniture maker. Maybe $10 - $30 a week in 1970 or so. I sanded, some staining, cleaning up the shop, deliveries. 10 to 15 hours a week. It wasn't regular hours. I got bonus when we delivered something special like a bedroom suite or really nice ash or maple kitchen cabinets, etc. His work rivaled that of the North Carolina factories.

Oh. Well actually my first job was a corner paper boy. If you remember in large cities there might be boys on corners at major intersection selling the evening newpaper. That was the first "job" which I did for several months. RC cola and sweet and sour plum money a couple of hours a day. That was the first job other than chore money from my mother or a neighbor. That was in the early to mid 60's.
    Last edited by Apogeal1; 03-02-2007 at 11:02 PM.
    "I despise people who go to the gutter on either the right or the left and hurl rocks at those in the center." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

My first wage? $1.15 an hour delivering groceries to rich old hags around town. It was a good way to learn to drive a standard shift.
    Especially cause I was 14 or 15 at the time.

I was Lent out to the relatives for manual labor in exchange for other things. Realize these people were late 1800 early 1900's birth dates so this was normal. I also worked as a farm hand in exchange for feeding me. A break even deal at that time of my life. I learned more from those people than anyone else in my life. Can't put a dollar value on that. I still owe them, wish I could go back and do more.
    "The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church"[Ferdinand Magellan]
    "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." [Albert Einstein]
    "With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[Physicist and Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg]

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight View Post
    I was Lent out to the relatives for manual labor in exchange for other things. Realize these people were late 1800 early 1900's birth dates so this was normal. I also worked as a farm hand in exchange for feeding me. A break even deal at that time of my life. I learned more from those people than anyone else in my life. Can't put a dollar value on that. I still owe them, wish I could go back and do more.
    Wow. What an amazing history you have in your head about all of that.
    Sometime... when you have the time... do a really explanatory thread at TLR.
    Thats a learning experience alot of guys cannot understand.

I read a book this summer that meant a lot to me. I don't necessarily agree with the author on his political views but this was a great book. Wisdom of our fathers by Russert. Many of those stories really took me back to people I miss.
    Last edited by darkknight; 03-02-2007 at 11:34 PM.
    "The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church"[Ferdinand Magellan]
    "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." [Albert Einstein]
    "With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[Physicist and Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg]

Washing dishes. $5.25 an hour. I worked hard and it was just a couple months until I was making $7.50 at age 16.

My first job was a skateboarding instructor. I was 15 at the time and I made anywhere from $10-$30/hr depending on how many students I had. When I was 17 I picked up a motocross as sort of second hobby, after a few months of it I took a really bad fall and completely screwed up my left knee and ankle and have since had to give both up.
    Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

^^^^AFLACK!
    Just kidding that sucks!

4.25 p/h @ McD's

The first job I ever got paid for was shoveling snow for $1.25/hr. I used to pray for snow.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

I used to be a waiter at Shakey's Pizza back in Malaysia. Paid me RM3.55/hr. Peanuts then.

$6/hr, McD's
    TForce550se|brisbane3600@2.4ghz|2x1gb|7900gs@550/800

$3.35/hr cleaning, cutting grass, and working maintenance at my school/church.

$2.25/hr washing dishes at a rich boys prep school. Three hours an evening, seven days a week. I hated that place and all those rich boys in their suits. Then one day when I was watching them I realized these teenagers never saw their parents, or a girl (besides a couple of hag instructors and the crater-faced cook), and were herded around like cattle all the time. I figured then I had the better end of the deal.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!