Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Re: Fred Thompson to run for Pres ?

Ted Kennedy, the legislation's initial sponsor, has claimed: "The tragedy is that these long overdue reforms are finally in place, but the funds are not."[6] Organizations such as ACORN (a community organization of low and moderate-income families and itself the subject of controversy [2]) have criticized the unwillingness of the federal government to "fully fund" the act. Neither the Senate nor the White House has requested funding up to the authorized levels for several of the act’s main provisions (for example President Bush requested only $13.3 of $22.75 billion in 2006) [3]. State education budgets are in very bad shape these days as declining tax revenues have forced many governors and legislatures to make deep cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    ...(no child left behind).

Dem's had nothing to do with it...
    Changing history, one post at a time...

nvm

I was convinced it was a Bush deal as well.

^^^ It shouldn't surprise any of us here that things are assigned to the wrong party over time. It happens all too often, especially in politics.

Jeez guys...what short memories we have.

No Child Left Behind was initially introduced in the house, by:

...drumroll please...

John Boehner, a Republican

No Child Left Behind was a big part of Bush's platform.

The liberals latched onto it because it was a very liberal bill. They also tried to attach rollbacks of certain tax breaks to it.

Thus Kennedy signed on as one of the initial Senate cosponsors. But he was in no way "the" initial sponsor as the wiki quote claims. He was one of many cosponsors in the senate.

This program was pushed hard by the Bush administration, are you guys really trying to deny this? Are you trying to say that the Dems wrote and pushed this plan on us?
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Quote Originally Posted by smoked trout View Post
    Jeez guys...what short memories we have.

No Child Left Behind was initially introduced in the house, by:

...drumroll please...

John Boehner, a Republican

No Child Left Behind was a big part of Bush's platform.

The liberals latched onto it because it was a very liberal bill. They also tried to attach rollbacks of certain tax breaks to it.

Thus Kennedy signed on as one of the initial Senate cosponsors. But he was in no way "the" initial sponsor as the wiki quote claims. He was one of many cosponsors in the senate.

This program was pushed hard by the Bush administration, are you guys really trying to deny this? Are you trying to say that the Dems wrote and pushed this plan on us?
    Heh, I was about to say all that. Thanks for saving me the trouble.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

As I read the Senate vote it doesnt seem like anyone particularly "pushed" the act down the others throat.
    And I cant really take responsibility for WIKI accuracy.

Also, as I read background...I find this

From ESEA to NCLB
    NCLB is actually the 2001 reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, which was originally signed into law by President Lyndon Johnson in the mid 1960s.
    The Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) was the first comprehensive federal education law providing substantial monetary funds for K–12 education to schools serving children from low-income families. ESEA was developed as part of Johnson’s “War on Poverty” and was signed into law on April 9, 1965.
    ESEA authorized funds for:
    • Educator's professional development.
    • Instructional materials.
    • Resources to support educational programs.
    • Parental involvement promotion.
    The law outlined and provided funds for many education programs deemed essential for children living in poverty and was originally authorized through 1970. Since then, it has been reauthorized every five years. ESEA has survived eight presidencies and undergone numerous name changes. But the basic premise of the law still stands today; it "provides targeted resources to help ensure that disadvantaged students have access to a quality public education"(Section 201, Elementary and Secondary School Act, 1965).
    Today's ESEA, now known as the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, or NCLB, passed with bipartisan support by Congress in 2001 and was signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2002.

a fair history here

http://www.hoover.org/publications/ednext/3346601.html
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-12-2007 at 03:00 PM.

No, it was never assigned to the wrong party. I am just not going to fight this arguement.

NCLB has proved its worth in problems over the Bush years.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    Keep the blame where blame is due buddy. Conservatives came up with it and passed it into law (no child left behind).

Dem's had nothing to do with it. I love it how Conservatives try to spin NCLB as a liberal idea. Hogwash
    I didn't blame it on the Dems. I blamed it on liberal Republicans and why I stated that many of the current crop of Republicans are just as liberal as LBJ and why I would support a REAL conservative like Thompson.
    Brian

heh, Thompson voted for it too.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

all but 10 right?[senate version]

a month or two after Bush was sworn in?
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-12-2007 at 05:45 PM.

My bad. I was off by a vote and a couple with the time frame.
    As we see here....well underway before Bush

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...:@@@D&summ2=m&

And sheesh. Im not trying to be argumentative. I never looked at this stuff till today. Its a history lesson for me.
    Just as Liquidsoul thought? So did I. I hadnt realized Bush sorta swiped what Clinton was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by smoked trout View Post
    heh, Thompson voted for it too.
    dang, maybe he's not as conservative as I thought.
    Brian