Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: Fred Thompson to run for Pres ?

Quote Originally Posted by smoked trout View Post
    Jeez guys...what short memories we have.

No Child Left Behind was initially introduced in the house, by:

...drumroll please...

John Boehner, a Republican

No Child Left Behind was a big part of Bush's platform.
    That's a far cry from saying, "Democrats had nothing to do with it".

Its a crappy program because it sticks the federal grubberment smack-dab in the middle of education... something that's better left to the states... and its understandable that the left wants to act like they had nothing to do with it. Not unlike Iraq... they like to act like they had nothing to with things that lose popularity.

The left had little chance to kill it, remember the 2000 voter mandate that left them with little power. Bush wanted it, and had a majority in house and senate to get it thru. That's why the left kept trying to attach tax break roll-backs to it.

Bush's version is a lot different from Johnson's, including vouchers and mandatory 'performance based' testing, which I'm sure your wife has told you all about.

The program was written for cities and applied blanket like to the whole US. Rural America got the shaft. But regardless, yes the liberals voted for it because they liked the dollars that went to schools, the 'conservatives' liked it because of performance based stuff, the schools all hated it, especially rural schools where it became an excercise in spinning your wheels.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

PJM Seattle
    March 19, 2007 12:57 PM

by Fred Thompson
    The comic book movie “300” about the Spartans and the Persians in 480 BC is still breaking box-office records. Now it seems the rulers of modern-day Persia, Iran, are not amused.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    document.write('');if ((!document.images && navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Mozilla/2.") >= 0) || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("WebTV")>= 0) {document.write('<a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/osm.pajama.tmus/comments;tile=4;sz=300x250;pos=1;ord=' + ord + '?" target="_blank">');document.write('');}
    “300,” shows a small band of Spartans saving the lives of their countrymen AND the seeds of modern Democracy by kicking the much larger Persians forces effectively in the backside at Thermopylae until the sheer numbers overwhelmed them. If I remember my history, that’s exactly what happened.
    But the Iranians have filed a flurry of complaints with the United Nations, claiming “300” is “cultural and psychological warfare.”
    Who are these guys who are getting all flushed over our cultural insensitivity?
    People who want to blow Jews off the face of the earth. The regime that stormed our embassy in 1979 and kept Americans captive for 444 days. Iran’s Hezbollah puppets have killed more Americans, than any other terrorist group except Al Qaeda. Explosive devices from Iran are being used right now against our soldiers in Iraq. They’re clearly more skittish about cultural warfare than the sort that actually kills people – like the one against Israel that Iran financed just a few months ago.
    I must say that I’m impressed that Hollywood took on a politically incorrect villain. Must have run out of neo-Nazis. So now these sensitive souls in Iran think that Hollywood is part of a U.S. government conspiracy to humiliate them into submission. I can only wish we were that effective.

There was poll on GOP candidates for 08 over at www.realclearpolitics.com Interesting results.
    http://www.gopnation.com/

Heh.
    Fred Thompson: The Hunt For Red November

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/opinion_...443393,00.html

War-Funding Puzzlement

By Fred Thompson

Editor’s note: Click hereto listen to the original radio commentary this transcript is based on.

The House’s emergency war-funding bill contains several conditions on how the war should be run. They’ll never become law but they “send signals” they say. They’re big on sending signals in Washington. But what I was really surprised to find in the bill was what looked like 25 billion dollars in pure pork. Since a lot of the people who voted for the bill campaigned against pork, I was puzzled.

I’m puzzled there’s $283 million for dairy farmers in an emergency war-funding bill. But there’s also $74 million for peanut farmers so, I figured our soldiers are eating a lot of peanut butter sandwiches; they need more milk to wash them down with.

Hey, I’m trying to keep an open mind, here, okay?

But I also wondered why the bill gives $25 million to spinach producers. Our troops should certainly eat their vegetables, but unless it turns out that there’s a scientific basis for that Popeye spinach thing, I don’t get it.

I’m also trying to figure out what $400 million for rural schools has to do with the war — unless that money produces students smart enough to explain why this bill includes over three hundred thousand dollars for the widows of two ex-House members, and $80 million for low-income rent subsidies.

There’s a lot in the bill I don’t understand, but this sort of makes sense. There’s $50 million for repairs to the plant that supplies electrical power to the Capitol — where Congress works. To fund and win the war, Congress does need electricity at least to do its job.

Ah, I get it. This bill isn’t just about funding the war for democracy and freedom in Iraq. It’s a political statement. And it’s about buying enough votes with pork in order to make that statement. Maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad thing, if Congress did have its power cut off every once in a while

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

^^^ Hmmm... None of you on the right seemed to complain when the bills were laden with pork for republican pet projects.

Is Fred now the new "great white hope" for the party?
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

^^Maybe.

Notice a word "missing" from his article?

begins with d and ends in c

You arent actually defending the pork in the bill are you?
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-26-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Things appear to be moving a little..
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0407/3429.html

Fred Thompson, the “Law & Order” actor and former senator
    from Tennessee, has moved beyond pondering a bid for the White
    House and begun assembling the nucleus of a campaign should he
    decide to run, according to people involved in the effort.

Thompson has not yet decided to seek the Republican presidential
    nomination. But “he is getting more serious every day,” said an
    adviser familiar with Thompson's plans.

Thompson’s coming-out as a candidate-in-waiting will be a May 4
    appearance at the 45th annual dinner of the Lincoln Club of Orange
    County in the heart of Ronald Reagan country in Southern California.
    The invitation was widely sought by aspiring Republicans, and his
    advisers expect considerable media attention around the visit. But
    there are no plans now for an announcement then.
    Should be an interesting month, come May.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundforbjt View Post
    ^^^ Hmmm... None of you on the right seemed to complain when the bills were laden with pork for republican pet projects.

Is Fred now the new "great white hope" for the party?
    I think you have a short memory if you think no one complained about Republican pork.
    Brian

This is a joke, right ?
    "Five senses; an incurably abstract intellect;
    a haphazardly selective memory;
    a set of preconceptions and assumptions
    so numerous that I can never examine more
    than a minority of them-never become conscious
    of them all.
    How much of total reality can such an apparatus let through?"

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    brought foward

^^ Jimz, I having probs loading it. Could you post some of it ?
    Thanks, Bob

The Pirates of Tehran

By Fred Thompson Posted in Foreign AffairsComments (196) / Email this page » / Leave a comment »

“To misrepresent unpunished piracy as a victory is as Orwellian as the congressional mandate banning use of the term "the global war on terror." What are we — Reuters?”
    digg_url = 'http://www.redstate.com/stories/foreign_affairs/the_pirates_of_tehran';

Oil prices fell. The stock market rose. Video images of smiling British soldiers with Iranian President Ahmadinejad were everywhere. So were pictures of the 15 freed hostages embracing family members back home. The relief over the return of the Brits was so tremendous; you could almost hear birds singing.
    Maybe it's because military action won't be needed or maybe it's just because the ordeal won't drag on and on, but the world is breathing easier now. A lot of folks are happy. The problem, as I see it, is that Ahmadinejad seems to be the happiest.
    And why shouldn't he be? He has shown the world that his forces can kidnap British citizens, subject them to brutal psychological tactics to coerce phony confessions, finagle the release of a high-ranking Iranian terror coordinator in Iraq, utterly trash the Geneva conventions and suffer absolutely no consequences.
    The UN Security Council summoned its vaunted multilateral greatness to issue a swift statement of sincere uneasiness. The EU, which has pressured Britain to rely on Europeans for mutual defense instead of the US, wouldn't even discuss economic sanctions that might disrupt their holidays. Even NATO was AWOL.
    Please do keep reading . . .
    Tony Blair doesn't appear to be in much of a mood for celebrating. I don't know how he could be, given the troubling spectacle of British soldiers shake the hand of their kidnapper as a condition of release. In the old days, they would have kissed his ring -- but wearing Iranian suits and carrying swag more appropriate to a Hollywood awards ceremony may have been as embarrassing. Ironically, Blair's options are fewer by the day as his own party moves to mothball the British fleet, once the fear of pirates and tyrants the world over.
    Some in the West seem part of Iran's propaganda war; claiming that the release of the hostages was a victory that proves the Iranian dictatorship can be reasoned with. To misrepresent unpunished piracy as a victory is as Orwellian as the congressional mandate banning use of the term "the global war on terror." What are we — Reuters?
    Ahmadinejad must be particularly pleased to see "deep thinking" journalists making the case that American actions in Iraq were the true cause of the kidnappings. To believe this, all you have to do is ignore the history of the Iranian Revolution, which has been in the extortion business ever since it took power. Between the 1979 American embassy crisis in Tehran and the seizure of Israeli soldiers last year by Iran's Hezbollah proxies, there have been more than a hundred other examples.
    If you include the imprisonment of pro-Democracy dissidents and non-Shi'a Muslim minorities within Iran, the number reaches easily into the tens of thousands. The dwindling and persecuted Christian population of Iran, I suspect, found little joy in Ahmadinejad's explanation that he was freeing his victims as an "Easter gift."
    It is critical that we see this incident as part of a long pattern of behavior -- that will continue as long as the current leadership is in power. More importantly, it will escalate unimaginably if Iran achieves nuclear status, and with it the ability to hold millions rather than individuals hostage.
    I have no idea if Ahmadinejad and those who put him in power really believe the Shi'a Twelver doctrine that they can spur the messiah to return by triggering Armageddon. You have to admit, though, that the possibility that they look forward to entering paradise as martyrs would make them a whole lot scarier as a nuclear power than the USSR ever was.
    There is hope, though. The Iranian people are not an anti-Western horde. They're an educated and freedom-loving people for the most part, and reformers there have been begging us for support and sanctions that would weaken the ruling theocracy. Instead, they've just seen the Iranian dictatorship successfully bully the West into impotent submission. This is not a good thing.
    We need to understand this and use every means at our disposal, starting with serious and painful international sanctions, to prevent Iran's rulers from becoming the nuclear-armed blackmailers they want to be. Unfortunately, we are hearing demands that we abandon the people of the Middle East who have stood up to Islamo-fascism because they believed us when we said we would support them.
    If we retreat precipitously, the price for that betrayal will be paid first in blood and freedom by the Iranian people, the Kurds, the Afghanis, the secular Lebanese, the moderates in Pakistan and the Iraqis themselves. And America's word may never be trusted again.
    Right now, the pirate Ahmadinejad is clearly more confident about the outcome of the Global War on Terror than we are. That ought to give us pause.