Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Re: Fred Thompson to run for Pres ?

^^^ Money quote:

Some in the West seem part of Iran's propaganda war; claiming that the release of the hostages was a victory that proves the Iranian dictatorship can be reasoned with. To misrepresent unpunished piracy as a victory is as Orwellian as the congressional mandate banning use of the term "the global war on terror." What are we — Reuters?

On that same note... look who's hoisting the victory flag and doing some saber rattling..

Buoyant Teheran warns of further kidnappings

Hardliners in the Iranian regime have warned that the seizure of British naval personnel demonstrates that they can make trouble for the West whenever they want to and do so with impunity.

The bullish reaction from Teheran will reinforce the fears of western diplomats and military officials that more kidnap attempts may be planned.

The British handling of the crisis has been regarded with some concern in Washington, and a Pentagon defence official told The Sunday Telegraph: “The fear now is that this could be the first of many. If the Brits don’t change their rules of engagement, the Iranians could take more hostages almost at will.

”Iran has come out of this looking reasonable. If I were the Iranians, I would keep playing the same game. They have very successfully muddied the waters and bought themselves some more time. And in parts of the Middle East they will be seen as the good guys. They could do it time and again if they wanted to."

Americans also expressed dismay that the British had suspended boarding operations in the Gulf while its tactics are reassessed.
    Last edited by AMDScooter; 04-09-2007 at 12:50 PM.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

I wonder how Sir Winston Churchill is taking this about now..

There is hope, though. The Iranian people are not an anti-Western horde. They're
    an educated and freedom-loving people for the most part, and reformers there have been
    begging us for support and sanctions that would weaken the ruling theocracy. Instead,
    they've just seen the Iranian dictatorship successfully bully the West into impotent
    submission. This is not a good thing
    I've read where many in Iran don't care for their leader's tactics. I've also read
    where sanctions are having an effect of everyday life there. Please correct me
    but I don't believe Iran is even Arab is it ? So many people abroad must be looking
    at this dangerous chess game between the West and the Mid East. I hate what is
    happening to our troops there, but cutting and running the way many here have
    been beating the drums about, just seems like the wrong way to go. I don't have
    an answer, but it seems we don't have enough military in Iraq to get the job done in such
    a way that we can leave with people in the mid east knowing we have stayed the
    course. But Iraqi's HAVE to get going. We can lead them to water, but they have
    to drink for themselves.

I'm afraid if we pull out while Iraq is in the situation it is now, we'll end up the
    laughing stock of the world, instead of a world leader. The Pres made a bad
    choice going into Iraq, but we've done it and I believe we have to stay until
    it gets on it's way, or things completely go down the toilet. Just my 0.02.

Sorry to get off-topic.
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 04-09-2007 at 10:14 PM.

Sen. Fred Thompson has cancer.. I hope it stays in remission, but I also
    wonder if people will shy away from voting for him if he decides to run ?
    Regardless I hope he recovers from it as well as all those who have such
    a terrible disease.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,265269,00.html

Former Sen. Fred Thompson announced Wednesday that he has indolent lymphoma and that it is in remission. The following is his full statement to FOX News:

"We have all seen the courageous battle that Elizabeth and John Edwards are fighting, and there are so many others. Fortunately, there are an increasing number of good stories because of the medical advances that have been made.

"I have friends in politics, some in Congress, some running for President, and others who have successfully dealt with cancer. It is certainly no respecter of persons and totally non-partisan.

"That point was driven home to me about 2 1/2 years ago when, shortly after a routine physical, I was diagnosed with what the doctors call an indolent lymphoma. Of the 30-plus kinds of lymphoma this is a 'good' kind, if there is such a thing.

"I have had no illness from it, or even any symptoms. My life expectancy should not be affected. I am in remission, and it is very treatable with drugs if treatment is needed in the future — and with no debilitating side effects.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...U3YTU4YzNmNGE=

heh:

Whenever I've seen one of those "Gun-free Zone" signs, especially outside of a school filled with our youngest and most vulnerable citizens, I've always wondered exactly who these signs are directed at. Obviously, they don't mean much to the sort of man who murdered 32 people just a few days ago.

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Maher
    New Rule: Fred Thompson must run for president. I don't know what he stands for and I don't care. I just want to see how all the social conservatives deal with his hot trophy wife. She's 25 years his junior and dresses like Britney Spears. And every time Thompson sees her, his ••••• goes– ["Law & Order" intro music sound]
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

First Lady...or would that be First MILF?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

http://abcradio.com/article.asp?id=399041&SPID=15663

Sticks and Stones

It bothers Americans when we're told how unpopular we are with the rest of the world. For some of us, at least, it gets our back up -- and our natural tendency is to tell the French, for example, that we'd rather not hear from them until the day when they need us to bail them out again.
    But we cool off. We're big boys and girls, after all, and we don't really bruise that easily. We're also hopeful that, eventually, our ostrich-headed allies will realize there's a World War going on out there and they need to pick a side -- the choice being between the forces of civilization and the forces of anarchy. Considering the fact that the latter team is growing stronger and bolder daily, while most of our European Union friends continue to dismantle their defenses, that day may not be too long in coming.
    In the meantime, let's be realistic about the world we live in. Mexican leaders apparently have an economic policy based on exporting their own citizens, while complaining about US immigration policies that are far less exclusionary than their own. The French jail perfectly nice people for politically incorrect comments, but scold us for holding terrorists at Guantanamo.
    Russia, though, takes the cake. Here is a government apparently run by ex-KGB agents who have no problem blackmailing whole countries by turning the crank on their oil pipelines. They're not doing anything shady, they say. They can’t help it if their opponents are so notoriously accident-prone. Criticize these guys and you might accidentally drink a cup of tea laced with a few million dollars worth of deadly, and extremely rare, radioactive poison. Oppose the Russian leadership, and you could trip and fall off a tall building or stumble into the path of a bullet.
    The hundreds of demonstrators the Kremlin has had beaten and arrested in the last few weeks alone, we are told, were not pro-democracy activists but common criminals -- like world chess champion Garry Kasparov. Demonstrating without a permit is a serious crime and, luckily for the Kremlin, it turns out that pro-government youth groups seem always to have permits for rallies at the exact times and places that anti-government protesters gather.
    Another group that seems to be having trouble with permits is the media. Newspapers and television stations that aren't smart enough to know that America is the enemy and that things are great in Russia can't seem to get their paperwork in order. It’s some sort of IQ test, I guess.
    President Vladimir Putin, though, shows no sign that he feels defensive about his remarkable string of luck. He knows who's really to blame for "meddling" in Russian "internal affairs." It's the United States.
    He's lambasting us for yielding too much power. One example of this excessive power is the missile defense radar system we want to install in Poland and the Czech Republic -- to give the free world early warning of a missile attack by terrorists or a rogue nation like Iran. Perhaps it’s just a coincidence that the Russians have been supplying Iran with both nuclear and missile technology while using their UN veto to block sanctions that would force Tehran to back down. Regardless, we're clearly at fault, he says, for putting a defense system close to Mother Russia.
    So I wouldn't worry too much about the criticisms we receive. We make mistakes and at times the "carping" may even be on target, but it seems to me that we ought to look at a lot of the complaints as a badge of honor.

I love it. Means someone is worried.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=55917

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

^^^He was pretty much a "do nothing" Senator in TN.
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

Yeah. Cant beat Hillarys record. I think since she adopted New York she's got her name on two bills. Wait. Maybe three including her husband.

^^^ Do you mean the 3-dollar bill?

Oh wait! Wrong kind of bill.

In five years as the most influential Democrat in the Senate, Hillary has managed to get the following laws and resolutions enacted:
    • Establish the Kate Mullany National Historic Site
    • Support the goals and ideals of Better Hearing and Speech Month
    • Recognize the Ellis Island Medal of Honor
    • Name courthouse after Thurgood Marshall

• Name courthouse after James L. Watson • Name post office after John A. O'Shea
    • Designate August 7, 2003, as National Purple Heart Recognition Day
    • Support the goals and ideals of National Purple Heart Recognition Day
    • Honor the life and legacy of Alexander Hamilton on the bicentennial of his death
    • Congratulate the Syracuse University Orange Men's Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
    • Congratulate the Le Moyne College Dolphins Men's Lacrosse Team on winning the championship
    • Establish the 225th Anniversary of the American Revolution Commemorative Program
    • Name post office after Sergeant Riayan A. Tejeda
    • Honor Shirley Chisholm for her service to the nation and express condolences on her death
    • Honor John J. Downing, Brian Fahey, and Harry Ford, firefighters who lost their lives on duty.
    Only five of Clinton's bills are, according to Morris, "substantive":
    • Extend period of unemployment assistance to victims of 9/11
    • Pay for city projects in response to 9/11
    • Assist landmine victims in other countries
    • Assist family caregivers in accessing affordable respite care
    • Designate part of the National Forest System in Puerto Rico as protected in the Wilderness Preservation System

• Designate August 7, 2003, as National Purple Heart Recognition Day
    • Support the goals and ideals of National Purple Heart Recognition Day
    So THAT'S how she bribed Kerry not to run in '08...

Im just surprised Sound doesnt like the guy. And the Senate record just seems like a weak attack.
    How does it square with Obama's record? Whats Obama done in the Senate?
    Other than run for President?

Put another way: Why is Obama qualified and not Fred Thompson?

I think why some dems dont like him is because they know hes got the "reagan thing" going for him.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-01-2007 at 05:43 PM.

more "unverified" Fred Thompson facts: [from link]

* Fred Thompson uses high octane gasoline as mouthwash.
    * Fred Thompson can see the American flag on the moon.
    * Fred Thompson can throw a 95-mph fastball ……. with his foot.
    * Fred Thompson uses the St. Louis Arch as a hand exerciser.
    * Fred Thompson's steely glare will soften steel.
    * Fred Thompson's gravely voice will often start brush fires.
    * Fred Thompson runs a 4 minute mile in 42 seconds.
    * Any stop signal that turns red when Fred Thompson approaches is immediately sent to the factory for reprogramming.
    * When Fred Thompson goes fishing, fish swim to the dock and volunteer to fill his limit.
    * Tides flow in and tides flow out unless Fred Thompson wants to take his kids to the beach.
    * Harry Reid insulted Fred Thompson and was instantly transformed into a one dimensional cartoon cutout
    poster.
    * A Homeland Security directive requires all Airlines to keep a First class seat available to every city in the United States just in case Fred Thompson wants to go there.
    * Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can fool some of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can never fool Fred Thompson."
    BTW, here's an editorial by Fred Thompson at National Review on how America doesn't care what others think of us. If you have any new facts about Fred Thompson, put them in the comments... but try to verify your facts first.
    Comments (39)

funny stuff

reminds me of the old days when politics had an element of humor...beyond John Kerry.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-01-2007 at 05:58 PM.