Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: Fred Thompson to run for Pres ?

^^

Great op piece by Thompson, thanks!
    Brian

Looks like things are starting to heat up..
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0407/3753.html
    Advisers to Fred Thompson have begun exploring a range of staffing options -- including talking to potential campaign managers -- as the actor and former Tennessee senator firms up his plans to enter the Republican presidential contest, according to people involved in the conversations.

Thompson has not made a final decision but is on track to be ready to announce his candidacy in June or July, his advisers say. Thompson has already been polling better than some of the announced GOP candidates, and his entry would shake up a field that has left many Republican faithful dissatisfied.
    I don't know if he'll run or not. If not the race is lost, but it's not of a race
    when it's a choice or Rudy, McCain vs Clinton and Barrack. I'd have to go
    with either Dr.Paul or Tancredo.

But if Sen.Fred goes on to run, I'm with him.

Thompson has not made a final decision...
    Yeah, right.

O.K., to be clear, he hasn't made a final, final decision.

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Yeah. Cant beat Hillarys record. I think since she adopted New York she's got her name on two bills. Wait. Maybe three including her husband.

Im just surprised Sound doesnt like the guy. And the Senate record just seems like a weak attack.
    How does it square with Obama's record? Whats Obama done in the Senate?
    Other than run for President?

Put another way: Why is Obama qualified and not Fred Thompson?

I think why some dems dont like him is because they know hes got the "reagan thing" going for him.
    I certainly don't want Hillary...And I'm not sold on Obama, either.

I like Richardson so far.

As for the "Reagan thing" going for him, why because he's another bad actor (well he's better than Ron was)?

Reagan, while I didn't agree with everything he's credited with, did something as a governor and as a President...So far the only thing Fred's got going for him is the fact the Republicans are looking for someone, anyone better than what their current crop is now.

Fred's no Reagan, no matter what hot air he's spouting at the moment...It's easy to talk a good game and sound like Reagan, it's another to actually have some accomplishments.

The only thing I like about Thompson is his HOT wife!!
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

I should have qualified what I meant by the Reagan thing.
    Maybe its partly about looks. Maybe its the refreshing notion
    that these guys are actually to deliver a speech and have it sound
    like something more polished than a 10th graders' first attempt
    in Mrs. Freer's Speech Class.

I have to admit...Ive changed my mind about what makes a "good" President. May seem superficial but after listening to Bush for years mangle speech deliveries and come across like a dunce with responses?
    Ive changed my thinking.
    Probably nobody will ever rise to the JFK or Reagan ability that way...but we can hope.
    Ive gotten so I cant watch Bush at a Q and A. Particularly when he gets into the "over- enunciating" mode. Its like chaulk on a blackboard.

Agree on Thompson's wife.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-02-2007 at 08:26 AM.

^^^ Well jimz, I remember how Bushy's smirk used to drive the libs nuts. Now it irks me too. So does the dias lean... it isn't making him feel "up close and personal" anymore.

So I watched Thompson last night in an interview and although I love his commentaries in print, I'm gonna pass on him as a candidate. He'd make a great fit in a clubroom of lawyers with a snifter in hand... but the fire's not in his eyes and face, like it is in his words. Don't know if that makes sense, but that's just it... not a very good "first impression".

And yeah, I get that his ideas may be very close to Reagan conservatism, but the delivery just doesn't connect in that powerful way.

So, I'm back to my corner, with only one horse I like in the race, wishing there was a more solid stance on illegal immigration reform.

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    So, I'm back to my corner, with only one horse I like in the race, wishing there was a more solid stance on illegal immigration reform.
    "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Who's the one horse you like so far?
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

^^I think Dutch was rooting for Romney right? I thought so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    ^^I think Dutch was rooting for Romney right? I thought so anyway.
    Yeah... my horse in the race so far is Romney.

How about a combo Romney/Thompson? Either order?

^^^ OK, look... I leaned my chair back and closed my eyes for a spell and then got to chucklin'... 'cause of how much Romney/Thompson could look like a smoother, slicker version of Bush/Cheney. You know, with Thompson goin' in for hospital check-ups and Romney being charged with being too religiously driven... all we'd need is a Florida re-count and Thompson heavily ventured in say, Boeing.

One thing I'll give to both of 'em... what they say makes "sense" to me. The things they both say (or write) have a logical and uncomplicated way, and that can only come from the minds of people who "get it".

Well one thing Im sure of. No damned way will Thompson ever get a 400 dollar haircut....like Edwards. Theres nothing there!!

I get your points Dutch.

May 02, 2007
    Daily Fred Thompson Fact
    Posted by Frank J. at 08:00 AM | Email This
    Fred Thompson's favorite book is a battered copy of The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress which he used to beat a hippy to death with.
    Comments (13)

Who knows with Thompson? Maybe hes smarter or better advised than we think. Sit on the sidelines. Let everyone else wear themselves out and collect money...then step in when it counts in 8 months.
    I dont know.