Really slow to POST

Hi, I am new to this forum and wondered if I could get some direction to solve a problem:
    Just re-built my rig - MSI 915GVM3-V mobo with P$ and GeForce 7950 GTOC graphics card.
    Everything works, BUT it takes almost 3 minutes from power on to get to the BIOS set-up option.

What on earth is my system doing all that time ?? and how can I get ot to speed up.

When I do get into Windows (2K) the machine is very fast and stable.

A couple of clues ? I get 2 short beeps st power on, I have IDE HD for my OS and a SATA drive for my docs and files.
    When the computer is "Stuck" before BIOS I have a screen which shows Auto detecting USB Mass storage...
    Dev #01...............

Also I can't seem to find a decent manual for my mobo, the one that came with the board is next to useless (Doesn't even explain jumper settings !!!)

Thanks in advance.

Re: Really slow to POST

You definitely have a post error and that is causing your problems. How do you have your drives jumpered?

Honestly, you would be better suited to put your OS on the SATA drive and files/docs on the IDE. This will improve your performance slightly. My guess is you have the SATA drive jumpered as master and the IDE jumpered as slave. In the bios, you probably have them configured in boot incorrectly. Make sure you have the proper drive selected to boot. Is the IDE drive a western digital? If so, pull the jumper off the back.

There aren't any master/slave jumpers on SATA drives. Is your PATA IDE a western digital, by chance?

It would help us if you place your system's specs into your member profile.

Thanks people for the quick response - I will put my system details in my profile later.
    As for the problem I posted - it's gone !!! all I did was remove a SanDisk card reader (Model SDDR-99 V3) that was plugged into one of my USB ports. Now system boots up just fine, one short beep and rapid progress through the device finding section (This is where it would hang looking for USB mass storage device #01 before I removed it).
    Then to a dark screen with blinking under score DOS type cursor in top left for 30-40 seconds and then onto Windows.
    Any ideas why this USB device would cause such a problem ?
    FYI Maxtor IDE primary HD, Seagate SATA data HD - I did it this way because of a recent HD crash and it was the only way I could recover most of my data - A long story..

Go into your bios and disable "Boot from other device" and that should clear up the delay on post.

Sometimes Sandisk products can cause the problem you have outlined.