Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Biostar 6100-M9 XP install problems

After my last computer crashed I decided to get myself a new rig, replacing the most crucial components (board, CPU, Vid card) while keep the basic (HDD, CD-ROM) and some things I really should have upgraded (RAM). Here are the new components:

Biostar nVidia 6100-M9 Socket 939 Micro-ATX
    AMD Athlon 64 4000 San Diego Core Socket 939
    EVGA Geforce 7300 GT 512mb PCI-Exp w/DVI/HDTV
    450W Power Supply

...and the Old:
    1GB PC2100 DDR RAM
    HDD: Various ATA HDDs ranging from 2 to 7 years (or more) old

After setting up the new board, CPU, PS, and vid card I tried to set up the hard drive from my last computer (it may have crashed along with the old mobo, I'm not certain). I got a system error. I tried to boot up with XP CD and it reported the file system as "unknown" and wanted me to format it which I am not willing to do at the moment.

I then tested my new system with several other hard drives, some may have been drives that had previously crashed while others I am certain were fully functioning. The ones that appeared to have recognizable windows OSs installed on them would attempt to appear to begin booting up but before it could get to the Windows loading screen it would immediately restart. After this it would offer to boot up in safe mode. When I attempted this it would begin loading all the files and at the end display a split-second blue screen, barely noticable, before rebooting again. Repeat process ad nauseum.

I then attempted to use the install CD to repartition, reformat, and do a clean install of one of the drives I felt was fully functioning. The CD files loaded up, the partition and format completed successfully. Windows then loaded up the setup files, restarted, and went back into the XP install. I was taken back to the screen where I was to select the partition to install the OS on and selected the one I just set up. Setup ran a disk check, installed files, then rebooted. I was again taken back to the same screen to select partition after the install loaded but this time the file system for the partition was "unknown". Again, repeat the process.

I am not certain whether this is a problem with ALL of my hard drives, an incompatibility issue with my board and hardware, or my general noobness. Please, any help would be most welcome.

Re: Biostar 6100-M9 XP install problems

First off after a major hardware change you must reinstall windows XP it does'nt work like win98/ME . Now on to your other issue when you start to install and it copies all files over and asks to restart either change the bios setting so it doesnt boot off the CD or pull the cd so it doesnt start the setup over again when it reboots. Hope that helps good luck.

After you reformatted and installed the drive you didn't hit "any key" did you? When you reboot don't touch anything and let it get into the windows setup.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    After you reformatted and installed the drive you didn't hit "any key" did you? When you reboot don't touch anything and let it get into the windows setup.
    I bet that's what he was doing.
    Bronson

skepticCS, welcome here....you get this figured out??
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Sorry for the delayed response. I got it taken care of just recently. I was not "hitting any key" after the initial formating. The CD installation would run, format the drive, then jump right back into the same process after boot without me doing anything. Turns out I had 2 bad HDD. Got a new HDD and it installed just fine. Now I'm having different issues with CRC errors on 2 DVD roms that I have tested on another computer and work just fine. I've also tried taking an image of a DVD on that other computer those very drives, transferring it to this computer, and running it with DAEMON and PowerISO and I still get CRC errors. This is troubling. My new hard drive is a Western Digital 160GB (WD1600JBRTL). Thanks for the responses.

Did you reset the BIOS after you changed the memory? Did you try to bump the memory voltage a bit? Did you test the memory with memtest86?

All that looks to me like memory problem. setting command rate to 2T and CAS to 3 could help to stabilize the system.

Resetting the BIOS would help to reset memory SPD to the new one too, so start with that.

Thanks Grooge, I'll give that a shot as soon asI get home today. I am loath to buy a new mem chip but if that's the problem then I'll what it takes because this is killing me.

i think grooge is right. play with memtest. look in the bios and check that your ram is set to 100 or 133mhz. and not 166 or 200.
    TForce TF8200 A2+
    Athlon X2 4850e 45w
    G.Skill 4GB PC2 8000
    74GB Raptor / 640GB WD
    Evga 512MB 9800GT
    My HEAT

Alright, I reset the BIOS, I ran memtest (everything fine), I changed my ram to 133mhz (from 200mhz). I couldn't find the "command rate" so I didn't change that one. I found two items that had CAS in them so I didn't make any changes there just to be sure. But after doing what I did I downloaded the beta for a game that I am in just to test because it seems that large files always get messed up with my new comp. The file was over 2 gigs and I used FlashGet to try and avoid errors and corruption. After the file's built-in extrator completed I was greeted with a window listing CRC errors for all the extracted files because they were corrupt or broken. This has happened with pretty much every download over 100 MB.

I am using onboard LAN because I had been having trouble with my old linksys card but I suppose that might be a source of problems. Even though I'm running SP2, could the fact that I have a 160GB drive cause any problems like this? I ran the WD drive utility which supposedly helps configure for that blah blah blah. I'm just stretching out as far as I can here to try and pin point the problem. Anyone have any other suggestions? I really appreciate the help so far.

you say 1 gigs, but is it 2x256 and 1 x512 megs? 3 memory sticks wil be problematic. try with only one. downloading cpu-z will tell you how your memory is setted up. report here what it will tell you.

I've got 1 chip = 1GB PC266. But I'll try cpu-z and see what it tells me.

Ok here is what cpu-z says:

Under the tab "Memory":

Type: DDR
    Size: 1024
    Channels#: Single

Frenquency: 133.9 - 134mhz
    FSB: DRAM: CPU/18
    CAS# Latency: 2.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3 clocks
    RAS# Precharge: 3 clocks
    Cycle Time (Tras): 6 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (Trc): 9 clocks
    Command Rate: 2T
    DRAM Idle Timer: 16 clocks

Under the tab "SPD":

Slot #1:

DDR
    Module Size: 1024 MBytes
    Correction: None
    Max Bandwidth: PC2300 (142 Mhz)
    Manufacturer: Infineon
    Buffered: no
    Part Number: M3 68L2923BTN-CB3
    EPP: no

Timings Table:
    Frequency: 133 Mhz | 142 Mhz
    CAS# Latency: 2.0 | 2.5
    RAS# to CAS#: 3 | 3
    RAS# Precharge: 3 | 3
    Tras: 6 | 7

Slot# 2 - 4: Empty

Alright, I hope that is enough info without being way too much. Hope it helps.

Set CAS latency to 3.0. that's very old memory, and it may help.

Well, unfortunately, that didn't do it. I just completed a major download and it was messed up like usual. Just want to make sure: This is most likely a memory issue and not a problem with my onboard ethernet or my 160GB HDD right? Because if that is the case I can try and buy a new mem chip although I really can't afford it right now.

By the way, I really appreciate all the help with this so far.