help, system will not power on

Ok,
    I got everything put together and connected and powered it up.
    it comes on no error beeps all fans fire up, cpu one also.... then about 2-3 seconds later it just goes off.

I unplugged everything then I moved to the bench,
    took the pwr off the vid card unplugged a cable or two and hit the pwr and now it beeps like crazy (which it should) all the fans come on and 2-3 seconds it goes off.

My first instinct is it is something with the pwr switch and maybe the reset switch, because to me it is acting like I am pressing a momentary switch....

Any ideas or folks that have seen this would be helpful.

TIA

Pete
    ALUMINUM X-Navigator- Corsair 620W PSU, A8N 32 SLI Deluxe, AMD FX-60, XP Pro Sp-2, EVGA 8800GTS 640 SuperClocked, 2Gb (2x1Gb) Corsair XMS PC3200, 200G WD, 250G and Two 500G Samsung Satas, Sony DW-D22A-B2 Dual Layer DVD±RW, AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO CD-RW/DVD, X-Fi Xtr-Gamer Fatal1ty Pro CNPS9500 LED Cooler

Re: help, system will not power on

Back to basics: These are simple solutions but that is the best place to start and work up in difficultly.

Double check all the wiring for the power and everthing you have connected. Make sure the power and reset are on the right connectors. Is your cpu fan plugged in and does it turn?

Make sure you have the 4 pin motherboard plug at the upper left is plugged in. You might also try connecting the ez_plug although you shouldn't need it with only one card.

Make sure the video card is plugged in. Does it have its own plug on the card?

Try only one stick of memory in the proper slot.

Try it with only video card and HD connected.

Try the video card in the other slot if you can get it to fit. I read your comment about the card being huge.

Does the bios in the MB support your fx-60 dual core chip? The bios installed wil be on the bios chip. From this chart http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us
    it needs to be 8.06. If the mb doesn't support the chip I don't know what it will do. If you old chip is a 939 you might want to try it and see if it will boot.

Does the green light stay on when it shuts down? Do you see anything on the screen, probably not in only 2 to 3 seconds.

If It like my builds it will turn out to be something simple!!

Good luck and keep us informed of progress.
    Last edited by curlysir; 03-07-2007 at 09:01 PM.

update,
    I pulled all power connections, then any cable that touched the board, pulled the memory, tried one, switch..... each time I did one of these steps I tried it, same thing each time 2-3 secs then powered off.....

I was down to pulling the CPU and fan or do the on the box trick, I figured I would do the box then pull the cpu.

Well....................
    On the box it worked...

I noticed 3 of my stand offs were not tight at all, I took a wrench to all 9 of the stand-offs them, put the board back, put in all 9 screws and tried it, worked...
    connected the fans back... worked....

That is as far as I am right now, after a shower I will see if I can finish it back up, my cables will never be as neat as the first time I did it. :/

Please tell me that 3 loose stand offs did not cause me all of these headache!
    ALUMINUM X-Navigator- Corsair 620W PSU, A8N 32 SLI Deluxe, AMD FX-60, XP Pro Sp-2, EVGA 8800GTS 640 SuperClocked, 2Gb (2x1Gb) Corsair XMS PC3200, 200G WD, 250G and Two 500G Samsung Satas, Sony DW-D22A-B2 Dual Layer DVD±RW, AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO CD-RW/DVD, X-Fi Xtr-Gamer Fatal1ty Pro CNPS9500 LED Cooler

I don't see how that would cause the problem unless for some reason that part of the board wasn't grounding. Just doesn't seem to me that that would cause the problem. I would look for a connector not making good contact. When you moved the MB you may have moved the connector. I would try gently moving the connectors while it is running and see if you can kill it.

What bios do you have?

11.03 bios
    I had reseated and taken off and put on both of the power connectors many times.... still same actions...

Odd I know, but I had tried removing components, cables, power all the same...
    now she is up on her feet running Hiram's 8.8 boot-disk testing looks good.
    tomorrow I will add the OS

The stand offs are the only thing I could find out of place, of why it would work on the box and not in the case... after I put it back, it has been rockin and rollin.

This morning in 22 min I loaded and installed XP-sp2 and updated my drivers for VId and sound.

After work today I can finish getting her on her feet and make an acronius of the clean install.
    But first impression so far, this thing flys!!!
    When you are clicking the minute counters of the windows install screen off at 6-14 sec each your screaming!

Now, if I can figure out why I have no sound lol.

Glad to see it's up and running. I still can't understand how the standoffs being loose would cause the problem. But it is going, that's what counts.

Did you disable the onboard sound? or have you not installed your sound card yet? Are you speakers plugged into the green socket?

Did you install raid or is to come later?

Tnks Curlysir.

Yes I did disable on board sound, I did install the sound card and loaded the drivers off the CD. as for the green socket LOL they are all gold on this card....

I have a several yr old creative 5.1 speaker system with a decoder that splits the signal to the speakers and sub. My old audigy gamer just used one mini spdif plug to run all of the speakers and yes it was the green slot,
    The issue with that system is it has so many options on the decoder Dig in, line in, coaxial, etc I may have to just keep messing with it to find what the card is putting out. old one used digital in and line in together.

As for the raid, seeing I have no Floppy and have read lately that raid will not boost gaming as much as a say raptor 10K drive... I am leaning that way later.

as far as the stand offs.......
    I don't get it either.. but it would not work no matter what I unplugged or removed till I took it out the case and put on the box.
    Then I looked long and hard for a loose screw or something that was shorting out, nothing extra in the case. the 3 loose standoffs are all I could find out of place at all, they where located in the middle of the board.

I put it back in just like I took it out, boom worked fine..... :shrug: lol

So the a8n32-sli will let you load the OS without using F6 and a floppy?

I don't think the A8N-SLI will.

The raptors are nice I recently install one for the C: drive. My life is a whole lot less complicated since I took my OS off of raid. I still use Raid 1 for data.

if you are not doing raid, yes the A8N-SLI 32 D did not prompt me for anything other than a Cd/Dvd drive.