ASUS Striker Extreme is it a good buy

Hey guys, I'm building my new monster rig but need a proper motherboard to fit the bill. I'm going to be doing a bit of gaming plus some video encoding. Fact is I just want a beast of a machine... But from my personal experience the mobo seems to be one of the most important parts of the machine (crappy mobo crappy performance me thinks)

Nevertheless fellas, can you guys assist me with the motherboard choice???

I have:
    1 Segate 750GB HD (7200rpm)
    2 WD Raptors 150GB (10,000rpm)
    Enermax Galaxy 850W Power Supply
    Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Sound Card
    2 x EVGA 8800 GTS Superclocked 320MB PCI-E Vids
    Samsung 8X DVD+RW/ SATA/ LightScribe

I need:
    Motherboard??
    Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe Processor 2.93GHz
    2GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Memory

Re: ASUS Striker Extreme is it a good buy

From what I read it is a good board, but overpriced at $400. I bought mine from eWiz.com for $325 which is still a lot more than the EVGA SLI bd. Seems as if ASUS is either playing games with the market or having production issues which seems to limit availability. Can't comment on bd performance yet as I've had 2 RMAs. One for bad rear panel switch which locked out bd; second for CPU INIT on Poster. Don't know what caused this. Tech support of limited help, issued a Case ID and RMA sent me a FEDEX label to return it for "repair". You pays your $ and you takes your poison.

Re: ASUS Striker Extreme is it a good buy

Many serious people are looking at P5N32-E SLI in preeference it is a far more realistic £ and shares most of the featues of the striker, in fact reading the specs it's faily difficult to spot the didderence, The main thing is the lack of "extras".

Seems as if ASUS is either playing games with the market or having production issues which seems to limit availability
    Think it's the last, have seen that a new manf. site has opened in china & qc is pretty poor, this i think would explain the apparent shortages. There have been similar qc issues with the commando, which i'm using. Good board but like myronsilver, am on my 2nd. Fortunately RMA was with supplier rather than asus.

luck
    Edit: just found this dual review [ASUS Striker Extreme & P5N32-E SLi] is 6 points worth arounf £70/$140???
    Last edited by supershanks; 03-10-2007 at 02:42 PM.
    Mobo:Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi CPU: Core2Duo 6600 on water
    Mem:Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2X1GB 5-5-5-15 2.2v Gfx:320MB BFG 8800GTS OC Clock 580 mem 1700 + Dell 2007WFP PSU:Etasis ET-850 3.3v= 28A 5v=30A 12v=70ASATAHitachi II 4x80Gb Matrix Raid 0 + 250gb+320GB OSWinXPPro SP2 Case:Lian-Li V2000B Plus 24/7 OC 3600=400x9@2:3=1200
    Some people believe football is a matter of life and death,it is much, more important than that - Bil Shankly