GA-7N400L CPU Bios settings ignored

Hi all,

I have a friend that is having a problem with his motherboard. Even though the BIOS settings are showing correct, they are not being applied. I am referring directly to CPU speed and RAM. Both of these are running at half speed.

CPU is a Barton 3200+
    2 gigs of DDR 400 (PC 3200).

Attempts at setting the jumpers at anything above 100 MHZ FSB, will result in the PC not booting. We have tried downloading a bios flash from the Gigabyte website that is supposed to fix a 1. Fix FSB200 BOOT NG. Downloaded this and applied it and it still does not change the overall performance.

What is broken that would prevent the BIOS settings from being applied? Is the motherboard a lost cause? Would replacing the CMOS battery be a possible solution? Have tried many things to fix this (removing RAM, BIOS update, jumper settings, etc).

Has anyone ever experienced this problem with a motherboard before? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You,
    mtaffer

Re: GA-7N400L CPU Bios settings ignored

mtaffer,

that 2 gb of ram, how many sticks?

You may also want to check the link under my sig for the "gigabyte new owners guide"

Laterz
    dafanman

Click on Pic for Dafanman's Specs

Forum Rules
    Gigabyte New Owners Guide
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question, there are 2 1 gig sticks of RAM and we are using dual channel...the bios says that it is working...but at the moment it is only recognizing 1500.

Looking over the faq, we have tried to turn on the switch near the northboard and it always results with the PC not booting. We are currently looking at ebay to get a replacement motherboard as we think something in this one is shot.

It was working fine and all of a sudden it just went bad. The board is kind of old, but we don't have enough money to buy a brand new PC. Buying a compatible board would probably be our best bet at this point. Looking at an MSI on ebay currently.

mtaffer

mtaffer,

Ok, I see.

As a last gasp measure, I would remove the cmos battery for at least a couple of hrs, and while the cmos battery is removed and the system is still plugged in, push the power button on and off several times to discharge the capacitors and then pull the power plug. After re inserting the cmos battery do the Insert key trick (which is holding down the insert key then hit the power button, continue to hod down the insert key untill the monitor light turns green, release the insert key and you should then be at a default bios settings and try and reload whatever settings ur trying to run....

May also want to go into the flash bios menu..F8 and go to save dmi data and select no or delet or whatever it say, save to cmos and reboot.. the dmi data will be rebuilt on the next boot up.

I cant remember if that board has dual bios or not, if so then address the issue from that angle.

Laterz,
    dafanman

Forum Rules
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Wow, nice advice.

I did not know about the insert trick but will definitely try it.
    I guess it's worth a shot..at this point I have to tell you what happened or definitely follow up.

Thanks so much for your help, you are indeed very cool.

mtaffer

Again, thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, it did not work and we still cannot adjust the FSB speed to match the CPU. At this point, I guess there is nothing else we can do aside from getting another motherboard.

We need one that will support 200 FSB, 8x AGP, and a Socket A 3200+ Barton AMD Athlon. Also, would be nice to have dual channel support.

Have looked around on ebay some, but really haven't found anything. Do you know of somewhere I could look to find a board that will match those specs?

Thanks again for all your help.

MT

mtaffer,

Sorry that didnt work out for you

I was just curious though, wondering if you tried a different processor or not?

I just had a quick look around and hadnt realized that they have all but elimanted socket A boards from the market.... I see some pc chips and some foxconn boards and such but not near the selection I would have expected.

I think if the option was there I would call the local mom and pop shops in your area and see if they have any old nf2 inventory, I used to work for one and they tend to have that type inventory much longer than online retailer and box stores do.

I did notice that there are some recognized brand name socket A boards, depending on how much you wanna spend... google it and see if any of that works for you.

EDIT: Also make sure and have a look in the trading post forum..;. allways an opportunity to pick up a good deal there... just make sure and familiarize yourself with their rules.

Laterz,
    dafanman
    Last edited by DaFanMan; 03-12-2007 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Pop for trading forum

Forum Rules
    Nforce2 PSU Faq

Hi again Dan,

To answer your question, another processor was tried and it too only ran at half speed, so something is definitely wrong with the clock settings on the motherboard and we cannot fix it.

Googling a specific motherboard that I found on ebay, I found this site and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. They seem to have good feedback on the site, including fast shipping. I was just amazed that they have this old of stuff on their site still. What do you think?

http://www.advancedcomputech.com/graphic.htm

Thanks again,
    MT