Page 1 of 337 123451151101 ... LastLast

The Great Global Warming Swindle

Anyone else watch this?

The Great Global Warming Swindle

Channel 4, Thursday 8 March, 9pm

Are you green? How many flights have you taken in the last year? Feeling guilty about all those unnecessary car journeys? Well, maybe there's no need to feel bad.

According to a group of scientists brought together by documentary-maker Martin Durkin, if the planet is heating up, it isn't your fault and there's nothing you can do about it.

We've almost begun to take it for granted that climate change is a man-made phenomenon. But just as the environmental lobby think they've got our attention, a group of naysayers have emerged to slay the whole premise of global warming.
    Last edited by AMDScooter; 02-09-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Taking my effin post title back.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Re: The Great Global Warming Swindle

Like I am really going to believe a bogus Marxist's view on Global Warming

Next crappy global warming refute please......

The Michael Moore of the UK.

I believe jimz and I discussed Durkin and his little program in Rolleyes. If I remember correctly, he's a lying sack of shit.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    Like I am really going to believe a bogus Marxist's view on Global Warming

Next crappy global warming refute please......

The Michael Moore of the UK.

Marxist's.... crappy refute... fatman? I must be missing the connection.

But were I to compare this show to the one the Goracle recently got Hollyweird accolades for.. I call it junk science and half truths vs. scientific fact... Gore being the one pushing the junk science bit.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    I believe jimz and I discussed Durkin and his little program in Rolleyes. If I remember correctly, he's a lying sack of shit.
    Say what you will about Durkin, I know not much about his background. Perhaps it merits investigation on my part.

That said, the people interviewed are not nutjobs with no credentials. The evidence they provide is pretty up front, no smoke and mirrors I can see. Their conclusions are far more believable and scientifically reinforced than those of the opinions from the GW crowd.

-The Gipper

So I was thinking this morning (after reading a global warming link posted by Dutch) about the parallels between the Global Warming hype and the WMD hype leading up to the Iraq war... and then I read comments comparing Durkin to Moore!

All the games are the same but the names have been changed...
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

"Professor Carl Wunsch (professor of physical oceanography at MIT), stated that he was "completely misrepresented" by Durkin in his documentary. Currently considering making a formal complaint, Wunsch claims he was "totally misled" as to the content of the program."
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

^^^

Yup, and I have heard other scientists are "outraged" on how their views were interpretted. Looks to me like Durkin is full of shit. Let me see if I can find those links again. I found them on Digg or slashdot one of the two.

^^^ Got a link?

-The Gipper

Working on it....

-The Gipper

^^ I am going to re watch his contribution to the show later. But if I remember correctly.. his part was stating that the sea has a "memory" of sorts and that short term readings are not indications of what is happening now but rather signs of what happened hundreds or more years ago. While he may well believe in GW, I do not think they "distorted" the facts he provided.

-The Gipper

http://www.climateark.org/shared/rea...x?linkID=70679

Here is more information about Durkin's backing:

http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc...6362&archival=

And about Durkin's idea on how the sun is heating up the earth - I thought NASA debunked that years ago?
    Last edited by liquidsoul; 03-13-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    From your link

." He said he believes it is "an almost inescapable conclusion" that "if man adds excess CO2 to the atmosphere, the climate will warm".

He went on: "The movie was terrible propaganda. It is characteristic of propaganda that you take an area where there is legitimate dispute and you claim straight out that people who disagree with you are swindlers. That is what the film does in any area where some things are subject to argument."
    Doesn't sound like he's talking about "sea memory" to me.
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    You might as well have quoted Greenpeace. The Independent loves all this global warming crap.