Page 2 of 345 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Re: The Great Global Warming Swindle

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    I'm not so worried about who is "backing" as much as I am worried about the "accuracy" of the ideas presented. No one seems too worried about who is backing the Goracle's GW agenda. I'm more interested in the science at this point. Though I must admit I'm pretty tired of the Goracle's views being force fed to us as uncontested fact and/or concensus.

A point I'd like to see the GW crowd address is how long scale measurements of the levels of co2 and temperature show that rising levels of co2 actually follows behind a rise temperature. Pretty much shoots the Goracle's theory to heck and back.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    You might as well have quoted Greenpeace. The Independent loves all this global warming crap.
    EH.. I was just looking for his comments. I can judge for myself if he is taken out of context or has his information mis-represented. His contribution seems to be not taken out of context if memory serves. He seems more upset that he is being quoted in a anti-GW study than anything else.

Perhaps it puts his "funding" at risk to be seen on an anti-GW bit. I think among other points they make about the GW "movement", their take on how GW has become big businesses is spot on.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Yowza... even the NYT... that right wing shill.. is on the Goracle. Perhaps it's not a consensus after all eh Al?

From a Rapt Audience, a Call to Cool the Hype

I don't want to pick on Al Gore. But there are a lot of inaccuracies in the statements we are seeing, and we have to temper that with real data.

Hardly a week goes by without a new research paper that questions part or even some basics of climate change theory.

Nowhere does Mr. Gore tell his audience that all of the phenomena that he describes fall within the natural range of environmental change on our planet. Nor does he present any evidence that climate during the 20th century departed discernibly from its historical pattern of constant change.

For 12 years, my colleagues and I have protested against the unsubstantiated claims. We have done the studies and challenged the alarmists, but they continue to ignore the facts.

-The Gipper

01-30-2007, 11:22 PM
    darkknight vbmenu_register("postmenu_3998238", true);
    My Advice=FUBAR!
    ProfileJoined: Sep 2003
    My System vbmenu_register("specs_3998238");

Re: Scientists -vs- celebrities on Global Warming
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncleel
    No I'm not! I'm just being courteous to you, by providing articles for your reading pleasure, that appear to take the position you seem to be exposing. Certainly a better scietific reference than PBS, Nightline, Union of Concerned Scientists' (who aren't) etc. etc. Presuming climate is changing and there is nothing we can do about it, but rather than tell the truth, they want to point the finger at someone else, the evil AmeriKa, evil Bush, and evil Suv's.

This needs to be a straight scientific -to- scientific debate, w/o celebrities, politicians, & enviro-wackos.

IE: No super hurricane season, no pandemic bird flu, no cure for aids (but it is preventable) or any other 'cause de jour' you care to name.

Now for another view, watch this. Global Warming a hoax?

When will you learn..I actually check out your links. I repeatedly find evidence to counter your suppositions within your links. But you never counter those...wonder why..
    Any way those sites you berated me for I stated when I posted them that I was not offering them as evidence.
    For your latest post to me...I have this:
    PIRATES!!!!!! Average global temp change vs number of PIRATES!
    That is yours! you made it and you are trying to bump your hits! It's the same sense of humor IMHO!
    Is that what this is all about?
    At least this is not that bad! ok... here we go..

Channel 4 was launched on 2nd November 1982, with a remit to broadcast distinctive programmes. Under the Communications Act 2003, Channel 4 has a duty to provide high quality innovative programming that is experimental, creative and appeals to the tastes and interests of a culturally diverse society.

Channel 4 has always supported, and will continue to support the independent sector (the majority of Channel 4's programming being commissioned from independent production companies) with a strong commitment to regional production, original programming and schools/educational output.

Channel 4 is funded by commercial activity, principally through the sale of advertising airtime.

Channel 4 reinvests its profits in programming and the development of new content and services. The Film4 channel was launched in November 1998, E4 first went on air in January 2001, and October 2005 saw the start of the More4 channel. Towards the end of 2000, the commercial services arm of the Channel Four Television Corporation, 4 Ventures Limited (which runs these channels) was established.

Channel 4 is currently broadcast in the UK on analogue and digital services. The day-to-day management and control of the Corporation and its policies and functions are managed by the Chief Executive and the other executive directors, who are accountable to the Board. The majority of Board members are non-executive, appointed by Ofcom with the approval of the Secretary of State for Culture Media and Sport.
    Ok I expect better! step up scoot!
    I like you but I must call you out on this one.
    "The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church"[Ferdinand Magellan]
    "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." [Albert Einstein]
    "With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[Physicist and Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg]

^^^ Sorry DK... not sure what your message is here.

-The Gipper

I am referring to you source.
    Channel 4 sounds like a news media source available over the air, in fact it is not.
    http://www.channel4.com/learning/mic.../teachers.html

http://www.channel4.com/corporate/4producers/

Scoot please read this: http://www.channel4.com/about4/annualreport.html
    Should tork you off!
    "The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church"[Ferdinand Magellan]
    "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." [Albert Einstein]
    "With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[Physicist and Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg]

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    I'm more interested in the science at this point. Though I must admit I'm pretty tired of the Goracle's views being force fed to us as uncontested fact and/or concensus.
    There are a wide range of other environmental and political entities pushing global warming issues. I'd say it's down to the media you're usually watching/reading/hearing. I've only seen a couple of news snippets and a half hour interview on Gore's PPT presentation. Not bothered to get the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    A point I'd like to see the GW crowd address is how long scale measurements of the levels of co2 and temperature show that rising levels of co2 actually follows behind a rise temperature. Pretty much shoots the Goracle's theory to heck and back.
    Not sure if that was a mistake on your part, but the common perception is that rising CO2 levels (and some other gases in lesser quantities) precedes rising temps, and then to some extent becomes cyclic as the sea heats up. There's an abundance of documentation to that effect. Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by smoked trout View Post
    So I was thinking this morning (after reading a global warming link posted by Dutch) about the parallels between the Global Warming hype and the WMD hype leading up to the Iraq war... and then I read comments comparing Durkin to Moore!

All the games are the same but the names have been changed...
    What's interesting is the Doomsday Clock's last change being partially attributed to the effects of global warming. I'd like to see their full report on that.

You guys can buy into the global warming thing if you want its still a theory with a lot of holes in it not too much unlike the strainer I use to drain the water off my pasta.

Argue on dont let me stop you just wanted to add my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer View Post
    You guys can buy into the global warming thing if you want its still a theory with a lot of holes in it not too much unlike the strainer I use to drain the water off my pasta.

Argue on dont let me stop you just wanted to add my 2 cents
    Given that's what this thread is about, can you post some links please?

Even if global warming would be 100% false we still have everything to gain by reducing our fuel usage.
    Whisper Performance setup:
    Asus Maximus Formula (X38)
    Asus Geforce EN8800GT
    Intel Q6600 3720 Mhz 1.45v.
    2x 74Gb WD Raptors RAID-0
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Eheim 1048 // Apogee GT // Black Ice GT Stealth 240 XFlow
    TT Mozart Tx

Even if global warming would be 100% false we still have everything to gain by reducing our fuel usage
    Thats easier to take than the other theoretical political approach to the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    What's interesting is the Doomsday Clock's last change being partially attributed to the effects of global warming. I'd like to see their full report on that.
    See what I mean! The sky is falling...I'd like to see their report as well, and right now wonder why 'Global Warming' has entered the Doomsday Clock at all.

Look at all the media about it, see how often terms like 'catastrophic', 'irreversible', 'devestation', etc are used. Are you scared yet? I'm much more worried about our control of nuclear weapons than a couple of degrees rise in tempeature.

Meanwhile I think there's many things we could do to adapt to a couple of degrees warming. Living in Montana I can see a few benefits as well as a few drawbacks. But my main local or regional concern is precipitation rather than temperature, that's an annual statistic that effects us much more than any variance in temperature.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf2000me View Post
    Even if global warming would be 100% false we still have everything to gain by reducing our fuel usage.
    I expect we're going to hear this more and more as the "science" behind man-made global warming gets debunked or diminished. Of course, the "price" won't get discussed at length, because that's political and the discussion is just about science.

In the meantime, I'm noticing the rebuttals to scientists who oppose the idea that global warming is a result of humans creating an excess of CO2, are attacks on their credibility. And there's always that great solution... buy some energy credits from Al Gore's company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    I expect we're going to hear this more and more as the "science" behind man-made global warming gets debunked or diminished. Of course, the "price" won't get discussed at length, because that's political and the discussion is just about science.
    We throw enormous amounts of substances in the atmosphere that don't belong there. We've been doing this for a very long time. Do you honestly think we can keep on doing this without causing permanent damage to our globe, ecosystem and our own direct environment?

You're talking about price of trying to do something about it. Did you ever think of the price we may have to pay for what we will not do?

It's the opposition of the environmentalist issues who make it all political. For them it's about the $$. So far I've heard "The country is addicted to oil". And yet this is already said some time ago. Do we see those words developed into deeds? We don't, no, instead Exxon keeps on recording the greatest profits known to mankind. Some day this arrogance will come back to haunt us. But yeah, it's all lefty political agenda isn't it?
    Calling it all a bunch of BS is just the easy solution.

Time will prove the environmentalists right but sadly that's exactly what they want to avoid. Debunked science has nothing to do with it, firstly because it hasn't been debunked and secondly the opposition doesn't want us to reduce fuel usage. That's where the problem lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    In the meantime, I'm noticing the rebuttals to scientists who oppose the idea that global warming is a result of humans creating an excess of CO2, are attacks on their credibility. And there's always that great solution... buy some energy credits from Al Gore's company.
    Yeah, every time bring up Al Gore. He's just one guy who says something about it. And it's not just CO2 being the problem.
    Whisper Performance setup:
    Asus Maximus Formula (X38)
    Asus Geforce EN8800GT
    Intel Q6600 3720 Mhz 1.45v.
    2x 74Gb WD Raptors RAID-0
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Eheim 1048 // Apogee GT // Black Ice GT Stealth 240 XFlow
    TT Mozart Tx

^^^ I was talking about "man-made global warming". The current "environmentalists" say its because of CO2 put in the air by humans. You rebutt with claims of "enormous amounts of substances in the atmosphere that don't belong there". Are you talking about CO2?

The price of "not doing something about it"? We are doing somethiung about it.

Its the knee jerk over-reactions that I'm concerned about. The throw money at the wind solutions that are done with great spirit and get diddly-doo-squat results. Like the Prius. Overpriced, highly polluting batteries, short service life, but its touted as "environmentally friendly"... even though it just about dies at 80,000 miles and doesn't even produce the mileage it was originally claimed to produce.

In the meantime, China builds a new coal-fired power plant every ten days.

You say its the opposition to environmentalists that make it political and that's blatantly untrue. The UN is a political body and they're front and center on this whole thing.

I'm glad to see you're pulling away from Al Gore. By the way, he's a politician.

Its not just CO2 that's the problem? Are we talking about man-made global warming or environmental issues in general? I'm all for cleaning up our act when it comes to preserving our planet better than we do, but let's at least try not to mix issues.