Page 215 of 363 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225265315 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 5443

Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

Not yet. The western governments still want in.

Leftie Guardian blogger (and editor of its American version) Michael Tomasky hopes there will be much more adverse weather in order to push the global warming agenda:

I sometimes imagine what it would take, weather-wise, for people to see that we have to do something about this. It puts one in the odd and perhaps I confess morally unsupportable position of cheering for a certain amount of calamity, the better to put the crisis in stark relief, but hopefully not too much calamity, lest many die.
    But not too much. Which is super nice of him.

It must be tough being a eco-marxist. I mean, as a leftie, you are supposed to pretend to care about people and yet it's people who are messing up the planet.

Russia, Pakistan and food for thought | Michael Tomasky | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Go Newt go!

Listen to Henry Waffle, Spindoctor and interrupt. Redistribute Cap and Trade taxation? He slips that into the discussion real smooth. Redistribute it to where? Welfare? Health care? Third world countries?

What a Moron.
    Last edited by SteveW; 08-21-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    "Walk Heavy, Stand Tall, Carry a Big Stick"
    Daily Driver - ASUS Z170-AR i7 6700, 16G RAM - Liquid Cooled
    Print/File Server - ASUS A7V880 XP-3200 Barton
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    "More worthless commentary from the word salad king and wannabe hall monitor who lies about his own posts..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    Taint +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    MIA

It was the Australian general election today

What's that got to do with the global warming scam you're wondering?

Well, although it looks like they're heading for a British-style hung parliament, it also pretty much gives the coup-de-grace to plans to introduce a carbon trading racket called ETS (Emissions Trading Scheme).

The ruling Labor Party were backing off from it anyway, as it's been a real vote loser.

Previous plans by Labor to introduce CPRS (Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme) had already stalled in parliament and been shelved back in April due to public opposition to rising fuel prices.

Australia heads for hung parliament

Australia appears to be heading for a hung parliament, with neither of the two main rivals likely to win the 76 seats needed for an outright majority.

ABC Australia is predicting 73 seats for the opposition coalition, 72 for ruling Labor, one for the Greens and four independents.

PM Julia Gillard vowed that she would "keep fighting".

Opposition leader Tony Abbott said it was clear Ms Gillard's Labor had lost its majority and its legitimacy.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11048968

Boulder to use car colors to discourage driving

By Laura Snider Camera Staff Writer

Got a blue car? The city of Boulder wants you to consider commuting sans car on Mondays.

Red car? Take a break from driving on Wednesdays. White? Thursday is your designated day of the week to leave your vehicle at home.

On Labor Day weekend, the city plans to launch a campaign to encourage residents to "do their 14.3 percent" to cut down on the number of cars on the road -- reducing air pollution, cutting carbon and road rage -- by making a commitment to go car-free on the day of the week that's correlated to your vehicle's color. Those that stick to their car-less commitments can win prizes from the campaign's sponsors.

"We want to attract people to something other than driving for one day a week or more in a fun easy way," said Cris Jones, a transportation planner with the city's GO Boulder program.

Participation in the program -- called Driven to Drive Less -- will be voluntary, and so is the day that participants choose to take a break from being behind the wheel. (There's no penalty for red-car-owning participants who commit to being car fee on the white-car day.)
    It's voluntary - for now. I think they do something similar in Athens (Greece), only with odd and even number plates on alternate days.

Read more: http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-c...#ixzz0xYddVAgh

Cameron bottles it:

Film director James Cameron backs out of debate with global warming skeptics, calls them ’swine’

By: Mark Hemingway

Commentary Staff Writer

Filmmaker James Cameron challenged three global warming skeptics to a debate that was to be held at an environmental event in Colorado this past weekend. Representatives for Cameron contacted Ann McElhinney, the filmmaker behind the documentary Not Evil Just Wrong, Marc Morano of the Climate Depot website and new media guru Andrew Breitbart to participate. Then, according to McElhinney, Cameron started waffling:

But then as the debate approached James Cameron’s side started changing the rules.

They wanted to change their team. We agreed.

They wanted to change the format to less of a debate—to “a roundtable”. We agreed.

Then they wanted to ban our cameras from the debate. We could have access to their footage. We agreed.

Bizarrely, for a brief while, the worlds most successful film maker suggested that no cameras should be allowed-that sound only should be recorded. We agreed
    Then finally James Cameron, who so publicly announced that he “wanted to call those deniers out into the street at high noon and shoot it out,” decided to ban the media from the shoot out.

He even wanted to ban the public. The debate/roundtable would only be open to those who attended the conference.

No media would be allowed and there would be no streaming on the internet. No one would be allowed to record it in any way.

We all agreed to that.

And then, yesterday, just one day before the debate, his representatives sent an email that Mr. “shoot it out ” Cameron no longer wanted to take part. The debate was cancelled.

After shutting McElhinney, Morano and Breitbart out of the conference, the Aspen Times reported Cameron had choice words at the event for his would-be debate partners. “I think they’re swine,” he said.
    Well at least he didn't call them Nazis I suppose.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/op...#ixzz0xYezlGGI

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    It's voluntary - for now. I think they do something similar in Athens (Greece), only with odd and even number plates on alternate days.

Read more: http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-c...#ixzz0xYddVAgh
    Boulder...how can I even begin to describe my dislike of that place and most of it's inhabitants? The funny thing is, last time I was forced to go up there for something I noticed they had a huge traffic problem. Very heavy congestion and I noticed a glaring lack of Boulder tree huggers on bikes. The old do as I say mentality is alive and well up there. I'm sure this new "feel good" policy is going to really change that.

When I hear Boulder, Colorado I always think of Mork and Mindy.

When I hear Boulder, Colorado I always think of Mork and Mindy.
    Lol, as far as I can tell the place is now populated with what appears to be their offspring.

Cameron bottles it:

Well at least he didn't call them Nazis I suppose.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/op...#ixzz0xYezlGGI
    ^^ Ya.. Cameron is just another twit who thinks cuz he can make movies we should give a sh*t about his personal opinions. Shame we did not get to see the stunning logic he was gonna use to shoot down them "deniers". I'm sure it would have probably equaled or bested Rosie O's "fire cannot melt steel" logic. He saw he was gonna get his arse handed to him and cut-n-run.

Filmmaker James Cameron Backs Out of Global Warming Debate HE Organized

By Noel Sheppard
    Created 08/23/2010 - 17:07
    Multi-millionaire filmmaker James Cameron on Sunday backed out of a global warming debate that he asked for and organized.

For those that haven't been following the recent goings on concerning Nobel Laureate Al Gore's favorite money-making myth, an environmental summit was held this weekend in Aspen, Colorado, called AREDAY [1], which is short for American Renewable Energy Day.

Ahead of this conference, Cameron challenged three noted global warming skeptics to a public debate where he was going to personally "call those deniers out into the street at high noon and shoot it out with those boneheads."

One of the invited skeptics, Ann McElhinney of NotEvilJustWrong.com [2], wrote [3] about Cameron's surprise cancellation Sunday:

His representatives contacted myself and two other well known skeptics, Marc Morano of the Climate Depot website and Andrew Breitbart, the new media entrepreneur.

Mr. Cameron was attending the AREDAY environmental conference [4] in Aspen Colorado 19-22 August. He wanted the conference to end with a debate on climate change. Cameron would be flanked with two scientists. It would be 90 minutes long. It would be streamed live on the internet.

They hoped the debate would attract a lot of media coverage.

"We are delighted to have Fox News, Newsmax, The Washington Times and anyone else you'd like. The more the better," one of James Cameron's organizers said in an email.
    The AREDAY program [5] listed the debate as taking place 5:30 PM Sunday (page 8):

McElhinney continued:

But then as the debate approached James Cameron's side started changing the rules.
    They wanted to change their team. We agreed.

They wanted to change the format to less of a debate-to "a roundtable". We agreed.

Then they wanted to ban our cameras from the debate. We could have access to their footage. We agreed.

Bizarrely, for a brief while, the worlds [sic] most successful film maker suggested that no cameras should be allowed-that sound only should be recorded. We agreed [sic]

Then finally James Cameron, who so publicly announced that he "wanted to call those deniers out into the street at high noon and shoot it out," decided to ban the media from the shoot out.

He even wanted to ban the public. The debate/roundtable would only be open to those who attended the conference.

No media would be allowed and there would be no streaming on the internet. No one would be allowed to record it in any way.

We all agreed to that.

And then, yesterday, just one day before the debate, his representatives sent an email that Mr. "shoot it out " Cameron no longer wanted to take part. The debate was cancelled.
    Morano wrote [6] Monday:

Cameron backed out of the debate at the last minute after environmentalists "came out of the woodwork" to warn him not to engage in a debate with skeptics because it was not in his best interest. [...]

According to AREDAY organizers, activist Joseph Romm of Climate Progress urged Cameron not to go ahead with the debate as well.
    Romm making this suggestion is certainly no surprise, for last April he got trounced [6] in a debate with Morano. Dismayed by his defeat, Romm barred [6] any articles by Morano to be linked to at Climate Progress and attacked me [6] for writing about the encounter.

Bad sportsmanship must be a common trait amongst climate alarmists, for after cancelling his AREDAY debate, Cameron still had harsh words [7] for skeptics he refused to face:

"I think they're swine," the renowned filmmaker told an audience member Sunday on the final day of the American Renewable Energy Day summit in Aspen. [...]

It was during a series of talks Sunday about the strong effect the right-wing punditry - Cameron named the regulars: Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh, who are known for their sharp attacks on environmentalists - has on Americans. [...]

With campaigns like the production of his blockbuster hit "Avatar," Cameron said people are starting to realize the gravity of the problem.

"I think we did move the needle a little bit," he said.
    Moved the needle, Mr. Cameron? By organizing a debate and then chickening out?

It's a good thing the characters in his films have more guts than he does or they certainly wouldn't be worth the price of admission.

All together now: If he only had the nerve [8]!

*****Update: Daily Caller's Jim Treacher has marvelously weighed in [9].
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Saving the earth takes a ride under the bamma bus...

Obama Scrubs White House Website of Climate Change Promises, Media Mum

Despite that President Obama made Cap and Trade and other green policy plans a focal point of his early days in office -- not to mention his campaign for president -- the White House has quietly scrubbed from its official website many of Obama's promises and green initiatives. I guess the era of Obama really is "change you can believe in"?

Especially interesting it the sudden disappearance of Obama's plan to commit $150 billion on clean energy research and development.

In 2008 as Obama was preparing to take office he featured on his "Office of the President Elect" website a pledge to spend $150 billion on energy R & D. As of today, that pledge is still there.

Invest in a clean energy economy and create 5 million new green jobs: Obama and Biden will invest $150 billion over 10 years to advance the next generation of biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerate the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promote development of commercial scale renewable energy, invest in low emissions coal plants, and begin transition to a new digital electricity grid. The plan will also invest in America's highly-skilled manufacturing workforce and manufacturing centers to ensure that American workers have the skills and tools they need to pioneer the first wave of green technologies that will be in high demand throughout the world.
    This policy was a major plank in his green initiatives plan and was featured on the White House website until July but just short of the two year point in his term this pledge has vanished from the White House website.

Also gone is any clear pledge to reduce U.S. greenhouse gas emissions via his formerly touted cap and trade legislative efforts. For instance, the section once titled "Closing the Carbon Loophole and Cracking Down on Polluters" is now vanished down the memory hole.

The differences can be clearly seen on the website Versionista, a site that tracks changes in the White House website.

Interestingly enough there is another thing that is missing from the Internet: any mention in the Old Media of the White House scrubbing its enviro policies.

About all I can find on this story is a piece by Mark Tapscott, one on Politico, and one each from the advocacy groups American Energy Alliance and The Breakthrough Institute.

Shouldn't the fact that the White House dropped some of its key environmental policies be pretty big news? Shouldn't the changing of Obama's "hope and change" be just enough to make the Old Media want to poke a finger in the President's eye?

I guess the Old Media is too busy thrilling to Obama's golf game to worry over much about his quiet policy changes.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Australians explain why they voted for the Green Party at their recent election:

^^^^

A new paper reiterates what I've stated here for years. Climate "scientists" misuse statistics.

Significance Tests in Climate Science
    Maarten H. P. Ambaum*
    Department of Meteorology, University of Reading, United Kingdom

Abstract
    A large fraction of papers in the climate literature includes erroneous uses of significance tests. A Bayesian analysis is presented to highlight the meaning of significance tests and why typical misuse occurs. The significance statistic is not a quantitative measure of how confident we can be of the ‘reality’ of a given result. It is concluded that a significance test very rarely provides useful quantitative information.

*Corresponding author address: Maarten H.P. Ambaum, Department of Meteorology, University of Reading, P.O. Box 243, Reading RG6 6BB, United Kingdom E-mail: m.h.p.ambaum@reading.ac.uk
    Contain your shock.. good read anyway.

-The Gipper

related??

IAC slams IPCC process, suggests removal of top officials

&

Chicago Climate Exchange drops 50%, new record low

The only lower price than today’s closing price on a ton of carbon is ZERO

Good signs that the MMGW scam is winding down. Shame it took so long. All that time, $$$ and resources taken away from real global ecological issues.

-The Gipper

When Eco-marxists attack:

Gunman shot after taking hostages at TV station

By Lewis Smith

A man who took three people hostage at the Discovery Channel's headquarters was shot dead last night after a four-hour stand-off with armed police.

The hostage-taker, named as James Lee, had entered the broadcaster's building in Washington armed with a gun and with a number of canisters strapped to his body feared to be filled with explosives.

During negotiations he made several demands which are thought to have been related to his earlier campaign intended to force the channel to do more to help the environment.

Among the demands he made on the web before the siege were for Discovery and other broadcasters to commit themselves to helping to prevent global warming, stop animals being driven into extinction, and to reduce both pollution and the human population.

On a MySpace page he left messages including: "Lee says: It's time for REVOLUTION!!!" In one he ranted: "Civilisation must be exposed for the filth it is. That, and all its disgusting religious-cultural roots and greed. Broadcast this message until the pollution in the planet is reversed and the human population goes down!"

Well he got his last wish at least.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-2068111.html