Page 262 of 366 FirstFirst ... 162212252258259260261262263264265266272312362 ... LastLast
Results 3,916 to 3,930 of 5480

Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

It was the Irish general election on Friday and the Green Party had their arses handed to them. They lost all 6 seats.

Partly they paid the price for being in coalition government with the aptly named Fianna Fáil party that together presided over the Emerald Isle's recent financial misfortunes.

It's kinda ironic as it was the Greens who pulled the plug on the coalition, forcing the general election in the first place.

Worry them until they come down ....

http://www.weatheraction.com/display....asp?a=315&c=5
    UK Parliament Transport select committee into December cold & snow crisis publishes evidence. Met Office in denial.

Piers Corbyn says:
    "I think it is a step forward for my evidence to be accepted and thank the Committee which I hope will put the needs of the country before ideology in it's deliberations. THE MET OFFICE's submission is, I would say: a Mubarak-style, bunkerish, self-serving, denial of reality:-
    - They claim to have learned some valuable lessons but show none.
    - They say 'accurate regional forecasts on a monthly scale have proved to be useful' !!! Perhaps they are talking about someone else's forecasts (eg WeatherAction's). The observed FACT is Met Office seasonal forecasts have demonstrably negative skill. They have consistently - with zero success in all the last 6 unusual (extreme) seasons - misled the public, emergency services and Councils and led to deaths on unsalted roads consequent on ill-advised Council's believing MetOffice warmist winter forecasts.
    - They say 'we are committed to developing the cutting edge science employed in monthly and seasonal forecasting'. This is as delusional as Colonel Gaddafi. Their science is not cutting edge, it has failed 6 times over. They have not shown any commitment to work with us or support our work; and note our success rate on the last 6 unusual (extreme) seasons is 6 out of 6**.
    - Then their pinnacle of self-serving arrogance:

'The extent and speed of this development is, of course, dependent on the availability of resources – particularly in supercomputing power to enable modelling to incorporate new science and understanding.'

NOT SO! No amount of taxpayers money wasted on more supercomputers could improve their forecasts at all. Their models are based on false assumptions and more computer power will only produce misleading forecasts faster. The problem needs proper Physics and equations - which we research into, develop and apply - NOT bigger computers."
    http://www.publications.parliament.u...r/contents.htm
    http://www.publications.parliament.u...eather/m27.htm
    Written evidence from Piers Corbyn (AWC 27)

I have evidence which may be of interest to the Transport Committee's investigation into the crisis consequent on the extremely harsh December 2010 weather most of which I have also made available to the Mayor of London Boris Johnson just after the closure of Heathrow in December due to snow.

The point I would make through this enclosed information and any committee appearance - which I would be happy to do if so asked - is that Extreme weather which is hazardous to the UK public and the economy is forecastable at a high level of skill, detail and applicability many months ahead and what is likely to develop in terms of year on year weather, cycles of extremes and climate over the next 25 years is also now forecastable to a high level of skill and confidence.

Use of our forecasts by Government, local authorities and emergency services can, through better forewarning, reduce transport and other suffering via road, rail and air, save cost to the economy and save lives.

I attach1

1. WeatherAction initial forecast note issued May 2010 for snowy December

2. WeatherAction Essence of winter sponsored forecast issued Nov 2010

3. WeatherAction Dec2010 detailed forecast for an extremely cold and snowy December - 'probably coldest December in 100 years' (which was confirmed) issued Nov 2010

4. For current interest our prediction of the simultaneous superstorms in USA & Australia end Jan / start Feb

5. Background info Presentation PowerPoint 6mb pdf of wider issues covering our solar-lunar forecasting process and likely ongoing cooling of World and UK climate for coming 25 years

www.weatheraction.com carries further information including independent verification of our high level of forecasting skill.

February 2011
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Perhaps I should point out that Corbyn is hardly an unbiased source. As well as being a well-known denier, he aims to make money by getting people to buy his forecasts, as opposed to getting Met Office ones. It would be hardly surprising then, if he bigged up his own efforts and plays down the Met Office ones. Trouble is, long-range weather forecasts are little advanced on astrology, with lots of obvious predictions (windy weather in November, snow in January etc) and weasel words like "warm", windy" etc. When he makes more specific predictions he is about on a par with the Met Office.

Please do not assume that evidence given to parliamentary committees is some sort of unbiased truth. I particularly liked the fact that he assumed that council gritting failures were down to bad predictions, when all available evidence suggests being useless was a better fit: they had plenty of salt, and plenty of warning; they just didn't heed it.

M

Future US President Thomas Jefferson talked about climate change in his book Notes on the state of Virginia. He started writing it in 1781 and finished it in late 1782 (after a minor dispute with the British Army had been concluded. Ahem ).

1780s eh?

Hmmm.. so before the industrial revolution then?

Jefferson must have been a tool of big whale oil!!!

http://books.google.com/books?id=NDo...page&q&f=false

^^^ Not to worry.. I'm sure Jones, Mann, Briffa, Wahl, Ammann and the rest of MMGW Co. have a computer model to fix that observed data.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Perhaps I should point out that Corbyn is hardly an unbiased source. As well as being a well-known denier, he aims to make money by getting people to buy his forecasts, as opposed to getting Met Office ones. It would be hardly surprising then, if he bigged up his own efforts and plays down the Met Office ones. Trouble is, long-range weather forecasts are little advanced on astrology, with lots of obvious predictions (windy weather in November, snow in January etc) and weasel words like "warm", windy" etc. When he makes more specific predictions he is about on a par with the Met Office.

Please do not assume that evidence given to parliamentary committees is some sort of unbiased truth. I particularly liked the fact that he assumed that council gritting failures were down to bad predictions, when all available evidence suggests being useless was a better fit: they had plenty of salt, and plenty of warning; they just didn't heed it.

M
    You know, I don't know what the big deal is of being able to make money on something you've dedicated your life to. Astrophysicists have to eat too and if everybody else is not going to pay you because you don't agree with their politics, then more power to you if you can come up with a product that proves itself. Unless you've been in denial, Piers had this winter nailed long before anyone else and I suspect that he was the main contributor to Farmer's Almanac as Caleb Weatherby. You have to understand that a good stab at the annual weather is important to agriculture and livestock.

The thing I'm pretty convinced that we're fighting here is the exploitation of science and weather to set political agenda and gain. Climate science being sponsored by our governments has noting to do with the science, climate or weather, but has everything to do with market creation and political control. It is the cult of preying on fears for gain and Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth is a sickening display of preying on a LOT of powerful human emotions and natural disasters to try and convince people to pony up or face the peril.

Until Piers batting average falls lower, more confidence will be given to him then a bunch of government butt kissers. Moreover, I've been impressed with his approach to climate from a scientific perspective as well. His approach is both empirical and well grounded in many scientific disciplines.

Climatology owes it's origins to one simple premise- that bad weather is our fault and you must comply in order to change it. And we will come up with the best science money can bully and buy to insure that it is so
    Last edited by AeroSim; 02-27-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Everyone's favourite mad scientist, Piers Corbyn reviews their winter performance:

Barack Obama may be forced to delay US climate action

Funding gap could force president to order a two-year delay in Environmental Protection Agency action, conference hears

Suzanne Goldenberg, US environment correspondent

Barack Obama may be forced to order a two-year delay in Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) action on climate change to try to avoid a complete government shutdown, an environmental conference has been warned.

President Obama faces the prospect of a government shutdown by 4 March, with a funding gap leading to federal employees being sent home and government services temporarily closing down, unless he can reach a deal with Congress Republicans who are demanding a crippling $61bn (£38bn) in budget cuts. The house will begin debate on the spending bill on Tuesday following efforts at the weekend to avoid a government shutdown, with news reports suggesting Republicans might compromise on some of the cuts.

The Republican plan would destroy Obama's capacity to pursue his green agenda, cutting the budget of the EPA by 30%, and stripping funds for projects he has championed such as clean energy research and high-speed rail.
    Boo-hoo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...e-action/print

^^^^ Lemme see. He's threatening ME with shutting down the EPA?

ROFLMAO

I hope they go for broke and stage their own walkout. It may save the country.

William Jennings Bryan.

^ I'm sure most politicians inhabit some bizarre parallel universe where all their horseshit and lies make sense. So cut off from reality do they seem to be.

Another case in point:

Why the £250bn wind power industry could be the greatest scam of our age - and here are the three 'lies' that prove it

By CHRISTOPHER BOOKER

Scarcely a day goes by without more evidence to show why the Government's obsession with wind turbines, now at the centre of our national energy policy, is one of the greatest political blunders of our time.

Under a target agreed with the EU, Britain is committed within ten years — at astronomic expense — to generating nearly a third of its electricity from renewable sources, mainly through building thousands more wind turbines.

But the penny is finally dropping for almost everyone — except our politicians — that to rely on windmills to keep our lights on is a colossal and very dangerous act of self-deception.

Take, for example, the 350ft monstrosity familiar to millions of motorists who drive past as it sluggishly revolves above the M4 outside Reading.

This wind turbine performed so poorly (working at only 15 per cent of its capacity) that the £130,000 government subsidy given to its owners was more than the £100,000 worth of electricity it produced last year.

Meanwhile, official figures have confirmed that during those freezing, windless weeks around Christmas, when electricity demand was at record levels, the contribution made by Britain’s 3,500 turbines was minuscule.

To keep our homes warm we were having to import vast amounts of power from nuclear reactors in France.

Wind turbines are so expensive that Holland recently became the first country in Europe to abandon its EU renewable energy target, announcing that it is to slash its annual subsidy by billions of euros.

So unpopular are wind turbines that our own Government has just offered 'bribes' to local communities, in the form of lower council tax and electricity bills.
    All over the EU, other politicians are waking up to the dead-end to which this madness has been leading us.

The Danes, who have built more wind turbines per head than anyone, have realised the idiocy of a policy that has given them the highest electricity prices in Europe, while they have to import much of their power from abroad.

In Spain, their rush for wind and solar power has proved a national disaster. In Germany, having built more turbines than any other country in the world, they are now building new coal-fired stations like crazy.

In Holland, meanwhile, they have now given two fingers to the EU by slashing all their renewables subsidies.

Only in Britain is our political class still so imprisoned in its infatuation with wind that it is prepared to court this dangerously misguided pipedream.
    Yep, still stuck on stupid.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1FJDlL8k5

It's great to see the excellent Watts Up With That? has been awarded the 2011 Bloggie award for Best Science Blog.

http://2011.bloggi.es/#science

Well deserved IMHO.

One Giant Leap Forward -- New Hampshire Smacks Down Cap-and-Trade

By Phil Kerpen & Corey R. Lewandowski

While all eyes were on the huge showdown in Wisconsin last week, another state policy fight with significant national implications took a big step forward in New Hampshire.

Here's what you missed: The New Hampshire House of Representatives voted overwhelmingly -- 246 to 104 – to become the first state to move to repeal an already up-and-running global warming cap-and-trade energy tax scheme.

The Granite State's repeal appears headed for a similarly veto-proof repeal in the State Senate that will make Governor John Lynch powerless to stop it.

The repeal effort was spearheaded by New Hampshire’s new conservative stalwart House Speaker William O’Brien, who made it a leadership priority, to withdraw from the 10 state cap-and-trade scheme known as the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI).

O’Brien told my organization, Americans for Prosperity:

“The Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative has always been a backdoor tax increase on the citizens of New Hampshire. RGGI is a perfect example of the cost of regulation to the public. Rarely has a program been as transparent in its attempts at income redistribution.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/...cks-cap-trade/

^^^ It gets better today-

http://www.space.com/11030-nasa-glor...e-failure.html

NASA's Earth-observing satellite, called Glory, launched this morning (March 4), but within minutes, scientists realized the rocket would not make it into orbit. The failed launch has implications for the study of Earth's climate and the changes that are shifting it.

Glory launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, on a Taurus XL rocket. The nose cone of the rocket covering the satellite failed to separate, making it too heavy and too slow to achieve orbit.

The failed launch comes after a week of delays due to technical difficulties, and is the second consecutive failure for a Taurus XL rocket. NASA has established an investigation board to determine the cause of the launch failure.

The Glory satellite was to monitor how the sun and tiny particles in the Earth's atmosphere, called aerosols, affect the planet's climate.

"It's pretty sad," said Mian Chin, of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "Glory would have provided the micro-physics and aerosol composition data that are currently not available from other satellite data."

Aerosols are tiny liquid and solid particles suspended in the atmosphere from both manmade and natural sources. Human-produced aerosols come from burning fossil fuels and biomass and coal combustions. Aerosols are also injected into the atmosphere by volcanoes or forest fires.

"Because we can't easily distinguish what's what from space, we don't have good global coverage of exactly how much of the aerosol is anthropogenic, and how much is natural," said NASA climate scientist Gavin Schmidt, on the blog Real Climate, for which he is a contributor.
    I wonder if they are going to be looking at the sun or for somone to blame?

Well, at least the sun is being considered ....

William Jennings Bryan.

From Aero's article above:

NASA's Earth-observing satellite, called Glory, launched this morning (March 4), but within minutes, scientists realized the rocket would not make it into orbit. The failed launch has implications for the study of Earth's climate and the changes that are shifting it.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Yes and I was a conspiracy theorist I'd start thinking this was deliberate. The same thing happened to the Orbiting Carbon Observatory's launch in 2009.

OCO's measurements would have been accurate enough to show for the first time the geographic distribution of carbon dioxide sources and sinks on a regional scale. The data would have improved the understanding of the global carbon cycle, the natural processes and human activities that influence the abundance and distribution of the greenhouse gas. This improved understanding was expected to enable more reliable forecasts of future changes in the abundance and distribution of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and the effect that these changes may have on Earth's climate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbitin...on_Observatory