Page 264 of 366 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274314364 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 5480

Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

^^^ In response to the transcript from yesterday Mann responds:

UPDATES:

Steve McIntyre at Climate Audit has the goods in this: Wahl Transcript Excerpt

Chris Horner at DailyCaller also has a review: Penn State whitewashed ClimateGate

In fact, Chris Horner and the Competitive Enterprise Institute were instrumental in efforts over a year to get this and other forthcoming FOIA info into the public domain. – Anthony

UPDATE 3/9 12PM Mann and Wahl have responded see here.

Excerpt:

Mann, reached on vacation in Hawaii, said the stories yesterday were “libelous” and false. “They’re spreading a lie about me,” he said of the Web sites. “This has been known for a year and a half that all I did was forward Phil’s e-mail to Eugene.” Asked why he sent the e-mail to his colleague, Mann said, “I felt Eugene Wahl had to be aware of this e-mail … it could be used against him. I didn’t delete any e-mails and nor did I tell Wahl to delete any e-mails.” Why didn’t Mann call Wahl to discuss the odd request? “I was so busy. It’s much easier to e-mail somebody. No where did I approve of the instruction to destroy e-mails.”

==========================================================

h/t SF Grand Master, Damon Knight, who was the author of the original short story this Twilight Zone episode was based upon.

Jones specifically asked Mann to delete emails with Briffa with regard to AR4. Mann claims that he deleted no mails. This is entirely possible, especially if there were no mails fitting the description. Canvasing the Climategate mails, we can only find a few mails between Briffa and Mann related to Ar4. If there were few or no mails to delete, then it does make sense that Mann could have passed the instruct to delete onto Wahl, without deleting mails himself. S. Mosher.
    Gotta love this line of thought:

I didn’t delete any e-mails and nor did I tell Wahl to delete any e-mails.”
    Hows that for a defense? Let's see how it'd wash were it used in court...

I didn’t murder anyone! Nor did I tell Wahl to murder anyone. I simply passed along a message from Jones asking Whal to commit murder.”
    Where's the harm eh? I can now see why so many "independent" investigative panels (of like minded individuals) found no wrongdoing.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

^ It's a criminal fraud, but there's so many politicians involved that nothing will be done.

Here's the Met Office's prediction for the spring in the UK:

This covers the months of March, April and May 2011, this will not be updated monthly through the spring given the nature of the computations.

Temperature

3 in 10 chance of a mild start

4 in 10 chance of an average start

3 in 10 chance of a cold start

Precipitation

3 in 10 chance of a wet start

4 in 10 chance of an average start

3 in 10 chance of a dry start
    Wow, really useful.

It's almost like weather prediction is a guesstimate and not the exact science that they try to portray.

One thing I'll predict with a 10 in 10 certainly is that they'll say 2011 was the warmest year evah!
    Last edited by Enmore; 03-10-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Climategate 'hide the decline' explained by Berkeley physics professor Richard A. Muller:

Save the whales:

Wind farms blamed for stranding of whales

Offshore wind farms are one of the main reasons why whales strand themselves on beaches, according to scientists studying the problem.

By Simon Johnson 15 Mar 2011

Environmentalists have blamed submarines' sonar and a ground-breaking study has confirmed that sonar does disturb the navigation of whales but it has suggested that offshore wind farms, as well as oil rigs, and even passing ships, posed an even greater threat.

Scientists at the University of St Andrews studying beaked whales, a species that frequently becomes beached in Britain, concluded that they were extraordinarily timid creatures that were scared "by virtually anything unusual", despite being the size of a rhinoceros and weighing the same as a London bus.

The findings suggest that more strandings can be expected as ministers are planning a major expansion in the number of offshore wind farms, especially off the coast of Scotland, which is an area where whales congregate to feed.

In an attempt to gauge the effect of different noises on beaked whales, scientists played sonar sounds to whales in the wild and tracked their responses using an electronic tag attached to the mammals.

The tag measured all the sounds heard by the whales and their subsequent swimming movements.

Prof Ian Boyd, the project's chief scientist, said: "There has always been an association with sonar and the stranding of beaked whales, but now we really have proof this is the case.
    Oh noes! First the bird, bat and insect shredding and now this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ene...f-whales.html#

Climate change and quakes: a link?

Earth's 'elastic' crust at issue; Melting glaciers may be lightening load, allowing tectonic plates to shift

BY WILLIAM MARSDEN, THE GAZETTE MARCH 16, 2011

MONTREAL - Severe earthquakes in Haiti, Chile and most recently Japan have raised the question of whether the world's tectonic plates are becoming more active and if so what is the cause.

Some scientists theorize that the sudden melting of glaciers due to man-made climate change is lightening the load on the Earth, allowing its mantle to rebound upward, causing the plates to become unstuck.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz1GoUyHrVx

Tell that to the long suffering Japanese who are now having to endure freezing conditions & heavy snow.

Snow blankets Japan's tsunami deadlands

AFP - Wed, Mar 16, 2011

TOKYO, JAPAN - A blanket of snow covered disaster areas of northeast Japan on Wednesday, amid a cold snap in the debris-strewn wastelands created by last week's quake and tsunami catastrophe.

Survivors and rescue crews - already facing an acute lack of water, supplies and fuel, power blackouts and poor telecommunications - had their troubles compounded by snow flurries over roads and rubble.

Temperatures in the worst-hit Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures fell sharply to near zero degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit), and the meteorological agency forecast a drop to minus five degrees C Thursday.
    http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2...16-268481.html

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    Climate change and quakes: a link?

Earth's 'elastic' crust at issue; Melting glaciers may be lightening load, allowing tectonic plates to shift

BY WILLIAM MARSDEN, THE GAZETTE MARCH 16, 2011

MONTREAL - Severe earthquakes in Haiti, Chile and most recently Japan have raised the question of whether the world's tectonic plates are becoming more active and if so what is the cause.

Some scientists theorize that the sudden melting of glaciers due to man-made climate change is lightening the load on the Earth, allowing its mantle to rebound upward, causing the plates to become unstuck.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz1GoUyHrVx
    When you posted this, I at first thought you got it from Monte Python.

"We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

^ I love that scene. "Help I'm being oppressed!"

Oh noes.. what's this...

UK solar panel subsidies slashed

The UK government has proposed cuts of up to 70% to the feed in tariff for large scale solar energy production.

The proposal would be implemented on the 1 August, reducing payments to farmers or owners of large commercial buildings.

The industry has reacted with anger to the proposal.

And investors have warned that cutting the scheme just a year after it was created will deter further investment in renewable energy.

"The whole investor market was totally disengaged as a result of the feed in tariff being ripped up," said Ben Warren, partner with Ernst and Young, a consultancy.
    No wonder the industry reacted with anger. Someone's shot their golden calf!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12790613

"It's all related." Piers suggests. Climate, earthquakes, etc. At any rate, quite a composite of Japanese quake & tsunami videos.

This may be a stretch, but I have also wondered about variations in lunar position and gravitational effects and how it affects our crust by the "wave" it causes by it's passage- especially being so close to earth this phase.

At any rate, it seems to me that many of the major natural events we experience are not geocentric but influenced by other astronomical events- things men have no control over.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Yes, but we can't tax them. It has to be blamed on something humans' create.

Thanks to global warming, the Gulf of Finland (basically the north-eastern part of the Baltic sea) is currently full of ships that are trapped in the ice. It's so bad that their regular icebreakers can't cope, so on Monday, the Russians decided to send one of their large nuclear ice breakers all the way from northern Russia, around scandinavia to help out.

The entire Gulf of Finland is currently covered by solid ice.

The ice situation worsened further on Sunday, and in the morning as many as 94 vessels were waiting for assistance.

A total of 63 ships were stuck in the ice on Saturday.

The ice cover was too much for the 11 diesel-powered Russian icebreakers waiting at the country’s Baltic harbours, which led to a historic decision. The nuclear-powered icebreaker Vaygach sailed from Murmansk to assist the trapped ships on Monday.

This is the first time in recent memory that a nuclear-powered icebreaker has been sent to work in the busy Gulf of Finland, which is now a vital causeway for Russian oil exports.
    Not that this would ever be reported in the warmist western media of course.

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Rus.../1135264342728

Broke.. busted.. hockey stick is even more broken and more busted than previously proven.

Steve McIntyre uncovers another hockey stick trick – where are the academic cops?

NOTE: since this is clearly an important finding with far reaching implications, this will be a “top post” at WUWT for the next couple of days. I urge other bloggers to spread the word. – Anthony

================================================================

Just when you think the bottom of the Hockey Stick rabbit hole has been reached, Steve McIntyre finds yet more evidence of misconduct by the Team.

The research was from Briffa and Osborn (1999) published in Science magazine and purported to show the consistency of the reconstruction of past climate using tree rings with other reconstructions including the Mann Hockey Stick. But the trick was exposed in the Climategate dossier, which also included code segments and datasets.

In the next picture, Steve shows what Briffa and Osborn did – not only did they truncate their reconstruction to hide a steep decline in the late 20th Century but also a substantial early segment from 1402-1550:

As I’ve written elsewhere, this sort of truncation can be characterized as research misconduct – specifically falsification. But where are the academic cops? Any comment from Science magazine?

Steve also discusses the code underlying the plot and you can see how the truncation is a clear deliberate choice – not something that falls out of poorly understood analysis or poor programming.

In the comments, Kip Hansen posts the following:

In reference to Mann’s Trick….obliquely, yesterday’s Supreme Court ruling on Zicam (a homeopathic nasal spray) ruled in part:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/he....html?_r=1&hpw

The Supreme Court has said that companies may be sued under the securities law for making statements that omit material information, and it has defined material information as the sort of thing that reasonable investors would believe significantly alters the ‘total mix’ of available information.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor, writing for the court on Tuesday, roundly rejected Matrixx’s proposal that information can be material only if it meets standards of statistical significance.

‘Given that medical professionals and regulators act on the basis of evidence of causation that is not statistically significant,’ she wrote, ‘it stands to reason that in certain cases reasonable investors would as well.’
    Thus, hiding or omitting information, even if one feels it is ‘erroneous’ or ‘outlying’ (or whatever they claim) is still possibly fraudulent ( or in this case, scientifically improper) if it would ‘add to the total mix of available information’. Statistical significance is not to be the deciding factor.
    In the case of Briffa and Osborn, no statistical fig leaf was applied that justified the truncation of data, so far as I can see.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

The Gulf of Finland icing crisis is really biting now:

Ice Stops Production

ST. PETERSBURG (SPT) — The Ford Motor Company factory located in Vsevolozhsk in the Leningrad Oblast was forced to stop production for a day last Wednesday due to intermissions in the deliveries of car components by sea, Interfax reported.

The intermissions were caused by the unstable work of the St. Petersburg seaport due to thick ice in the Gulf of Finland, which has trapped dozens of ships this month. Icebreakers were enlisted to try to solve the problem, but it still resulted in ships arriving with delays.

The Toyota plant in St. Petersburg also stopped production for a day on March 15 for the same reason, Interfax reported.

Strong winds and repeated freezing have led to the formation of ice up to one meter thick in the Gulf of Finland in the Baltic Sea. Up to 100 ships require the assistance of icebreakers in the eastern part of the Gulf of Finland every day
    Brrrrr....

http://www.times.spb.ru/index.php?ac...story_id=33738

global warming can cause a madrid of weather problems from storms to temperatures...
    My Pc
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 @ 4.6ghz
    Memory: 16gb Cosair ddr3 1866
    Hard Drives: 1x 1TB + 100gb muskin ssd cache, 1x 2tb 2 x3 tb
    Video: AMD Radeon R9 290
    Sound: Creative Xfi Fatal1ty Pro
    Lcd: Gateway Black-Silver 24"

A myriad of weather problems from storms to temperatures can cause the globe to warm... or cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    Last year, Nissan were predicting that they'd sell 20,000 of their new LEAF all-electric cars in the United States in 2011. Deliveries began in the US on December 11, 2010

Now according to their own figures, so far in 2011 they've sold 87 cars in January and only 67 cars in February (and no, I didn't miss out any zeroes).
    Nissan sold 298 more in March, so things are really picking up now.

http://www.nissannews.com/newsreleas...?&mid=&id=2364

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the Nissan factories due to build this car in Smyrna, Tennessee (from 2012) and Sunderland, UK (from 2013) may be getting some bad news in the next few months.

Sales issues aside, they have other problems to cope with right now. Currently, all Leafs are built in Japan at their Oppama factory in the Tokyo area. Due to direct damage & supply difficulties caused by the recent earthquake, Nissan have been shutting their factories on a rolling basis. The Oppama plant is due to shut again between 4th and 8th April. Also about 2,000 of their vehicles awaiting export were damaged or destroyed on the dockside by the tsunami.