Page 270 of 366 FirstFirst ... 170220260266267268269270271272273274280320 ... LastLast
Results 4,036 to 4,050 of 5480
  1. #4036
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,090

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Ah jeez. I guess this thread is gonna get fired up again. Thanks for sharing your credentials, Activate. I gather you think the rest of here are just dumbarses because we don't spend all day getting indoctrinated by journals and haven't joined a cluster of like educated folks.
    And I gather you think i'm some smartarse whos an elitest jerk? I'm not an expert, I'm no meterologist, but I have enough training to read and comprehend journal articles rather than third-hand pre-packaged opinions. I don't apologize for that

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Thanks for the graph. It confirms what I said, what you discard as "irrelevant questions and random thoughts":So you confirm what I say and pose it as an argument to my irrelevancy and random thoughts.

    But again, thanks for sharing.
    So whats your point? That pouring billions of tons of extra CO2 into the air is totally fine? I know the world is big and all, but if you didn't know, thats kind of a lot. Again, to think its nothing and has no impact is naive

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    I get your point about not understanding when so many completely uninformed people say "I don't believe in global warming" as if that was the same as saying "I don't believe in same-sex marriage?" You're clearly much more informed than them, so their opinion is worthless. Yeah, I get it.
    If someone tells me they "don't believe", then i'll ask them why. and if they don't have any reason, then their opinion is worthless. Yea, i'm more informed than that, no, i'm not an expert and am willing to defer to the community of experts. If all you're going to do is spout nonsense about how we should ban barbed wire and how dinosaur emissions have gone away, then I'll tell you right now that I'll be ignoring you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    After some 4,000 posts, this smells like something that's been sniffed over a few times already.
    I wasn't the one who bumped it, and I'm not reading 250 pages of posts. sorry
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 06-03-2011 at 11:48 AM.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  2. #4037
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    And I gather you think i'm some smartarse whos an elitest jerk? I'm not expert, I'm no meterologist, but I have enough training to read and comprehend journal articles rather than third-hand pre-packaged opinions. I don't apologize for that
    I could give a flying fart what you are and assume that since you can respond in a forum that you can also read and comprehend journal articles. But thanks for retracting from what you are by telling us what you are not. And yeah, people that front load a conversation with their own credentials and follow with a desecration of others are usually elitist jerks. That's a first-hand opinion that comes from many years of research.

    I'm sorry you are incapable of comprehending third-hand pre-packaged opinions. For someone so quick to identify them, it might be helpful to understand them.

    My point was more about your condescending opinion of others. As an example, you said, "Why do so many completely uninformed people say "I don't believe in global warming" as if that was the same as saying "I don't believe in same-sex marriage?" Curious that you don't mention uninformed people who swallow man-made global warming hook, line and sinker. Maybe their third hand pre-packaged opinions are different, somehow.

    On a personal level, you claim my post, which said essentially the same as your own, is and example of "irrelevant questions and random thoughts".

    So you've positioned yourself here as the jurist of others' knowledge. I don't think you're qualified.
    Last edited by Dutchcedar; 06-03-2011 at 12:03 PM.

  3. #4038
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Crazy AZ USA
    Posts
    3,516

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    ....

    I wasn't the one who bumped it, and I'm not reading 250 pages of posts. sorry
    Actually, it does have to be revisited with every new person that comes into the area. I know I don't want to start from scratch with a thread like this either. I'm kind of surprised you went back as far as you did

    That said, please cut the new guy some slack. I'd hate for this to turn nasty (again).

    Thanks.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 06-03-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

    Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

    William Jennings Bryan.

  4. #4039
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    So whats your point? That pouring billions of tons of extra CO2 into the air is totally fine? I know the world is big and all, but if you didn't know, thats kind of a lot. Again, to think its nothing and has no impact is naive
    Meh. To conclude that I think there is no impact is not only naive, but ignorant, because I clearly stated otherwise. Just because I don't buy into the man-made global warming crap, doesn't by any means put me in the position of thinking we aren't damaging our planet. Especially since I've clearly said otherwise, ye of great comprehension.
    If someone tells me they "don't believe", then i'll ask them why. and if they don't have any reason, then their opinion is worthless. Yea, i'm more informed than that, no, i'm not an expert and am willing to defer to the community of experts.
    I'm glad you're so well informed.
    If all you're going to do is spout nonsense about how we should ban barbed wire and how dinosaur emissions have gone away, then I'll tell you right now that I'll be ignoring you.
    Please do threaten me with paradise.

  5. #4040
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by AeroSim View Post
    Actually, it does have to be revisited with every new person that comes into the area. I know I don't want to start from scratch with a thread like this either. I'm kind of surprised you went back as far as you did

    That said, please cut the new guy some slack. I'd hate for this to turn nasty (again).

    Thanks.
    I will.

    But to be clear, he's been here before.

  6. #4041
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,090

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Meh. To conclude that I think there is no impact is not only naive, but ignorant, because I clearly stated otherwise. Just because I don't buy into the man-made global warming crap, doesn't by any means put me in the position of thinking we aren't damaging our planet. Especially since I've clearly said otherwise, ye of great comprehension.
    I came to that conclusion because you have repeatedly stated you don't buy into anthropogenic climate change.. but whats the impact of the CO2, if not some kind of greenhouse effect? Are you acknowledging that the CO2 is doing the damage or ignoring it? If the CO2 isn't causing global warming, then what is it doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    I will.

    But to be clear, he's been here before.
    Never in this thread. I've floated in and out of this subforum, and every time I drop in I'm reminded exactly why all the threads look like this one did a few days ago: at least 3 or 4 straight pages of the same 2-3 people posting from the same point of view


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  7. #4042
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Kern River Valley, CA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    21,598

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    About that lizard and sea horse... there was a fascinating program on PBS last weekend charting the history of the San Francisco Bay. One thing they pointed out was that 95% of the plant and animal species in the bay are not indigenous to the bay.

    Then there was a program on Discovery about wild pigs that run rampant all across the wilds of our country.

    My parting thought was that we sure spend a lot of energy trying to save this or that species, yet in the meantime, invasive species are running amok all over the place.

    An example of that might be the native Sacramento Delta Smelt and the non-native (foreign) Striped Bass (Striper) that feed on them.

    As red light flashes and bell rings…

  8. #4043
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,453

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I came to that conclusion because you have repeatedly stated you don't buy into anthropogenic climate change.
    We can correct each others' grammar, but we will miss the semantics. Let me explain. There's a difference between not buying into anthropogenic climate change and not buying into the man-made global warming crap. I chose the latter. In brief, I won't deny that there is some possible truth in the theory of warming the planet through man's burning of fossil fuels, for example. I'll remind you that the same community told us some time back that the planet was going to become colder from the same human "destruction".

    I do not mean to say that the results of man's actions are near as dire as is presented by the scientific community, who has clearly and irrefutably compromised their data, manipulated it to present a pre-conceived outcome, and presented it out of context to create an illusion of calamity where there isn't one. They are the people who forecast famines and droughts and rising oceans and heat waves, not me. What did we get? I dunno 'bout you, but we just had the coldest freakin' Winter in the last 15 years or so.
    . but whats the impact of the CO2, if not some kind of greenhouse effect? Are you acknowledging that the CO2 is doing the damage or ignoring it? If the CO2 isn't causing global warming, then what is it doing?
    Ah, here we go... if it isn't X, it must be Y.

    CO2 helps plants grow.

    I'm not acknowledging the damage at all. It hasn't even been quantified by the scientific community in any form other than an impending calamity. That's what we get from this theory... the idea that if we don't stop what we're doing, everything's going to go off kilter. But it hasn't.

    For some odd reason, whenever there's an international man-made global warming anthropogenic climate change conference, a bunch of international jet-setters gather at a locale that has the coldest friggin' temperature on record. Its an on-going joke. They can't forecast the freakin' climate two months in advance, yet we're to swallow their forecasts of doom... which by the way, haven't even proved themselves to be partially true?

    As an aside... if this were truely about science, they'd tag it with something a little more scientific than "climate change". That's as perverse a use of English as calling the illegal immigration problem one of displaced residents.

    This thing is about power and money.

    Not saving the planet.

    If it was truly about saving the planet from people they'd be pushing for fewer people.

    /Rant off

  9. #4044
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    E n g l a n d
    Posts
    10,978

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post

    "All I know is 90 percent of the scientists say climate change is occurring," he says. "If 90 percent of the oncological community said something was causing cancer, we'd listen to them."
    taken from AeroSim's post.. the guy has a point.
    Not really. If 90 percent of astrologists say the sky is falling unless we throw them billions in research grants, do we listen to them?

    No, because their discipline is a pseudoscience just like these climate 'scientists'.

  10. #4045
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    E n g l a n d
    Posts
    10,978

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Gov. Christie announces N.J. pulling out of regional environmental initiative


    By Christopher Baxter/Statehouse Bureau

    TRENTON — In a blow to clean energy advocates throughout the Northeast, Gov. Chris Christie said this morning that the state will pull out of the region’s "gimmicky" cap-and-trade program by the end of the year.

    During a Statehouse news conference, Christie acknowledged the effects humans are having on climate change but said the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative was doing nothing to solve the problem.

    "This program is not effective in reducing greenhouse gases and is unlikely to be in the future," Christie told reporters. "The whole system is not working as it was intended to work. It’s a failure."
    Hmmmm....

    http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...nce_nj_pu.html
    Last edited by Enmore; 06-03-2011 at 04:20 PM.

  11. #4046
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Crazy AZ USA
    Posts
    3,516

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    ...
    If the CO2 isn't causing global warming, then what is it doing?
    ....
    Ans: The sun.



    You suggest that the total CO2 generated by man has increased by many multiples, when really it is only the man-made component that is increasing by this rate in conjunction with the discovery and use of fossil fuels. To put this into perspective, consider the TOTAL amount of CO2 generated in the geosphere and what percentage it really makes up in total contribution:


    (ADDED: The units are in gigatonnes)

    It doesn't look like it's going to multiply the amount of CO2 any time soon- and the TOTAL amount would have to multiply about 50 times or better before it becomes a hazard. Moreover, the picture should suggest the REAL danger, but this discussion is about CO2.

    More for FYI, if you're wondering how MMCO2 breaks down, it's is kind of like this:


    Moreover, Piers is more than willing to take on this discussion with whoever. He has even issued a challenge and ... well ....

    Last edited by AeroSim; 06-03-2011 at 09:42 PM.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

    Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

    William Jennings Bryan.

  12. #4047
    Joined
    Jun 2003
    Location
    SO CAL USA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,602

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Last I saw CO2 was at 390ppm, preindustrial levels were rising already at 280ppm from 180ppm at he end of the last ice age.Hardly thousands of %.The cute little graph of manmade CO2 is correct,about 360 billion gigatonnes annually,unfortunately this terror inspiring graph is only 2.8% of the NATURALLY occuring CO2 worldwide.The Mauna Loa CO2 graphs cycle seasonally more than twice mans yearly output.Warmer oceans =more CO2,this is at least a fact of physics,unlike mmgw theory.At 500ppm CO2, plants require anywhere from 20-40% less water depending on species so drought caused by mmgw is somewhat mitigated as they also tend to grow up to 40% faster and larger.This has all been posted in this thread if the new guy cares to dig it up.
    also links to everything are in here.
    heres the graph for ya.
    Last edited by THOMAS LYNN; 06-05-2011 at 04:01 AM.
    asrock x370 taichi,16g gskill flarex3200 wd250mu 3wdblack 1 tera
    Asrock 990FX FX8120 8G Gskill 2133 2x WD2T 6.0 pc p+c 950w
    Asrock 890FX 1090t 2x4 Gskill 1866 RipJaw WD 1T 6.0 mushkin 850w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 8 Gskill RipJaw 1866 WD1T 6.0 ocz 750 w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 2x4 Gskill Rip Jaw 1600 Ocz evo720
    DFI 790FXB M2RSH PII 955 2x1Gskill 1600 Saph 4670 Ocz Evo 720W
    DFI 790FXM2RS PII 720 2x1gig Gskill 1600 Sapphire HD3400
    DFI Lp ultra D SLI Opti 148@300x10 @33c 1 gig Crucial ballistix 4000

  13. #4048
    Joined
    Jun 2003
    Location
    SO CAL USA
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,602

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Also if that little tail end drop in CO2 continues as well as the drop in SSTs worldwide,we are in Big trouble as in Little Ice Age type trouble. check history for the results of that.Not quite the optimistic outlook of the Minoan, Roman, and Medieval Warm periods.
    asrock x370 taichi,16g gskill flarex3200 wd250mu 3wdblack 1 tera
    Asrock 990FX FX8120 8G Gskill 2133 2x WD2T 6.0 pc p+c 950w
    Asrock 890FX 1090t 2x4 Gskill 1866 RipJaw WD 1T 6.0 mushkin 850w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 8 Gskill RipJaw 1866 WD1T 6.0 ocz 750 w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 2x4 Gskill Rip Jaw 1600 Ocz evo720
    DFI 790FXB M2RSH PII 955 2x1Gskill 1600 Saph 4670 Ocz Evo 720W
    DFI 790FXM2RS PII 720 2x1gig Gskill 1600 Sapphire HD3400
    DFI Lp ultra D SLI Opti 148@300x10 @33c 1 gig Crucial ballistix 4000

  14. #4049
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Crazy AZ USA
    Posts
    3,516

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    Environmentalist conflict of interest:

    http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech-m...ing-birds-bats

    ....

    Altamont Pass Abbatoir

    According to the Times, the death count for golden eagles alone is "67 a year for three decades." That's 2,000 dead eagles, which does not count the eaglets that were not hatched. Even worse, the Times reports, "about 2,000 raptors are killed in the Altamont Pass by wind turbines, according to on-site surveys conducted by field biologists. The toll, however, could be higher because bird carcasses are quickly removed by scavengers."

    Nationwide, about 440,000 birds are killed at wind farms each year, according to the Fish and Wildlife Service. The American Wind Energy Assn., an industry lobbying group, points out that far more birds are killed each year by collisions with radio towers, tall buildings, airplanes, vehicles and in encounters with hungry household cats.
    ....
    I wonder which species (Golden Eagle, wind turbine or environmentalist) is endangered here ....
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

    Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

    William Jennings Bryan.

  15. #4050
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    E n g l a n d
    Posts
    10,978

    Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

    The global warming cult demands more animal sacrifices:

    Australia Considers Killing Camels to Tackle Climate Change


    Kill a camel to stop pollution? That's what Australia is considering.

    The Land Down Under is considering killing feral camels to help tackle climate change, according to a report by news service AFP.

    The suggestion came in a paper from the country's Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency. A camel produces methane equivalent to one ton of of carbon dioxide a year, making the animal one of the country's biggest greenhouse gasses emitters, it noted.

    A commercial company, Northwest Carbon, has proposed culling more than one million camels in the Australian Outback to eliminate that gas emissions, according to AFP.

    In the proposed plan, the company would shoot the camels from a helicopter or round them up and send them to a slaughterhouse.
    Well at least there's one country with an even more stupid government than my own.


    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...#ixzz1OorrlKcN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •