Page 235 of 305 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239245285 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 4567

Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Warmers still playing hide-n-seek with data..

More Data Refusal – Nothing Changes
    Yeah, nothing has changed with Steve. The data was archived and he was offered help in where it was. All he has to do is ask where to get it. I don't know why he whines on about it. He wasn't refused.

Perhaps if he simply responded with a question of whom to ask, he would have gotten it in less time than it took to write this whining blog entry.

Wah wah wah. No wonder the climate scientists don't take him seriously. Not only does he not produce his own data, write papers that are original points, he acts like the IRS on an audit.

A complete list of things caused by global warming:

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

Depending on its location and strength, a tropical cyclone is referred to by names such as hurricane, typhoon, tropical storm, cyclonic storm, tropical depression, and simply cyclone.
    Watts makes it a point to bring up tropical cyclones (which aren't hurricanes, lol) and if he took the time to actually read what Pielke Jr. did:
    http://rogerpielkejr.blogspot.com/20...te-change.html
    The point I'm making about Watts messing up with his post by expounding on tropical cyclones while showing pictures of hurricanes is shown in this abstract of the Bender paper:
    LOL
    Asrock 990FX FX8120 8G Gskill 2133 2x WD2T 6.0 pc p+c 950w
    Asrock 890FX 1090t 2x4 Gskill 1866 RipJaw WD 1T 6.0 mushkin 850w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 8 Gskill RipJaw 1866 WD1T 6.0 ocz 750 w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 2x4 Gskill Rip Jaw 1600 Ocz evo720
    DFI 790FXB M2RSH PII 955 2x1Gskill 1600 Saph 4670 Ocz Evo 720W
    DFI LP Jr 790GX PII 720 2X1Gskill 1600 Sapph 3650 Seas 600w
    DFI 790FXM2RS PII 720 2x1gig Gskill 1600 Sapphire HD3400
    DFI Lp ultra D SLI Opti 148@300x10 @33c 1 gig Crucial ballistix 4000

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAS LYNN View Post
    LOL
    I'm sorry, so are you saying a hurricane and a tropical cyclone is the same thing in the context of disproving a point about hurricanes and by using tropical cyclones as an example?

Perhaps I'd laugh with you if I said hurricanes are not cyclones, but is that what I wrote? No, not from your quotes. Now I'm laughing...

STUDY this chart REAL hard and I will get to the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleoclimatology

Now here are a few takeaways from this picture.

1. The planet has been a H*LL of a lot warmer than anything we are seeing today.
    2. The quantity of CO2 follows the temperature. These levels of CO2 are nothing new either.
    3. Our planet has been MUCH warmer with MUCH more available CO2 THAN WE HAVE EVER SEEN IN ALL OUR RECORDED HISTORY.
    4. Over 500 million years, THE EARTH SPENT MORE TIME WITHOUT POLAR ICE CAPS THAN IT DID WITH THEM.
    5. There was not only life during this period- BUT LIFE TEEMING AND THRIVING. These were the ages of the dinosaurs.
    6. Many of the same fundamental life forms we have today WERE ALIVE BACK THEN. Phytolankton, reptiles, etc.,etc. So why would they not actually enjoy returning to more familiar environment?
    7. Fundamental science shows that life thrives when there is more water, CO2 and warmth available. So does geologic history.

Because dinosaurs were fundamentally reptiles who had poor body temperature regulation, they stand as proof that ice-ages and polar weather were once mostly unknown. The theory that they have been periodically wiped out by other catastophic events is both likely and plausible. Sooooo, to the point that people fail to address-

NO ONE HAS SHOWN ME ONE THING WITH CO2 DATA, TEMPERATURE DATA, AND SATELLITE IMAGES THAT PROVES TO ME THAT WHAT IS GOING ON TODAY WITH CO2 AND TEMPERATURE THAT IS UNNATURAL, SOMETHING WE HAVENT SEEN BEFORE, LIFE HAS NOT LIVED THROUGH AND/OR SOMETHING WE CAN'T SURVIVE.

In fact, FIGHTING this looks to be suffocating any chance to not just survive- but actually thrive.

If you think you've seen bad weather- no one in all of recorded history has seen what nature can throw at us! And THE REAL DANGER IS NOT WARMING- BUT FREEZING- AND WE DON"T HAVE A SAY IN WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE ... YET. In fact, we could enter into another ice age EXTREMELY RAPIDLY over the next 20,000 years- and that period starts with TODAY. You think warming is bad- try to grow crops with most of the earth frozen and the air so dry because the moisture is now mostly consumed for glacial ice. We are far more likely to lose BILLIONS by this road than by planetary warming.

And, Jesus, warming spikes are not unusual either. LOOK AT THE "HOCKEY STICKS" AT THE END OF EACH GLACIAL!

One more point. I've been in and lived in -60F weather, 125F weather and humped gear under cold water and over two miles of altitude and have been in tropical forests and deserts. Moreover, I can say that my kids have outdone me already. Man has survived BECAUSE of his surprising ability to adapt- both naturally and technologically. Innovation and technology are part of man's nature. In fact, we can adapt to just about any environment even the geologic record has.

So, this is why the CULT of MMGW can kiss my a$$ with their religion of guilt and fear. It focuses on the wrong things to espouse the wrong solutions and grabs data to prove that it is all man's fault and are the authors of global warning doom. My answer to them:

You're a bunch of f*king pussies.

You don't want to play the game because of weather? Tough sh*t. There are bigger and faster players on the field who are going to take a piece of your a$$ if you don't get some balls and man up regardless of the weather. And stop trying to pussify everyone else by using science as a whip to make money, gain power, and saddle them with the guilt trip that it's all their fault for coming up with technology we need to survive. Movies like The Day After Tomorrow are unfounded science-fiction propaganda trying to suggest that if there is an ice age, it will be OUR fault even though some suggest that we might be overdue to have one anyhow. While someone can make the case that humans are destroying the world with MMGW, I can likely make even a more effective case that GW is part of the world naturally trying to accommodate us and someone is trying to keep that from happening.

So let me start my own "religion". Rather than being such chickensh*ts about global warming, how about taking advantage of the situation? How about opening shipping trade routes across the arctic ocean? How about looking into taking advantage of more arable land retreating glaciers and tundra make available? How about distributing the growing amount of free and available water?

Rather than taxing the world with carbon taxes, teaching people to rat-fink on anyone who uses firewood and enriching Goldman Sachs a$$holes with carbon credit derivatives, why don't we get down to REAL environmental issues that we may actually have some reasonable control over and may have more profound impact? IF there is an environmental issue that threatens our survival- IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF THE HEAT OR THE CO2- MAN-MADE OR NOT. And we better spend our money and resources identifying the real answers rather than wasting billions on a climatology bubble in a futile quest of trying to fix the climate by regulating CO2.

At any rate, I'm finding that more regulations and taxes are strangling our industry and are sending the business somewhere else where they don't give a sh*t and inexorably undoing our economy, way of life and very freedom. Funny that despite the science is still investigating the data and MMGW scientists are confessing that it's a theory- they are making and enforcing policy anyhow.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 01-08-2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: corrections and links.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

^^I make it a point to not directly answer posts that are obviously written in anger, but in your case, aero, I'll pull from what I think are your most important points.

Now, pay attention, lol....
    The past has experienced.....

It's a theory. Yeah, but it isn't a hypothesis.
    List of theories here.

Some species are still alive, and man is adaptable. No shit. But more species have become extinct because of climate change. And you complain about economics: That's the point. If change occurs to the point predicted in models, there will be economic disturbances beyond anything you mentioned.

Scientists are pussies, CO2 is good...

Christopher Booker on the money as usual:

The Met Office fries while the rest of the world freezes

As the Met Office desperately tries to salvage its reputation, another of this 'warm' winter's ice disasters is unfolding in the Sea of Okhotsk, writes Christopher Booker.

By Christopher Booker

First it was a national joke. Then its professional failings became a national disaster. Now, the dishonesty of its attempts to fight off a barrage of criticism has become a real national scandal. I am talking yet again of that sad organisation the UK Met Office, as it now defends its bizarre record with claims as embarrassingly absurd as any which can ever have been made by highly-paid government officials.

Let us begin with last week’s astonishing claim that, far from failing to predict the coldest November and December since records began, the Met Office had secretly warned the Cabinet Office in October that Britain was facing an early and extremely cold winter. In what looked like a concerted effort at damage limitation, this was revealed by the BBC’s environmental correspondent, Roger Harrabin, a leading evangelist for man-made climate change. But the Met Office website – as reported by the blog Autonomous Mind – still contains a chart it published in October, predicting that UK temperatures between December and February would be up to 2C warmer than average.

So if the Met Office told the Government in October the opposite of what it told the public, it seems to be admitting that its information was false and misleading. But we have no evidence of what it did tell the Government other than its own latest account. And on the model of the famous Cretan Paradox, how can we now trust that statement?

Then we have the recent claim by the Met Office’s chief scientist, Professor Julia Slingo OBE, in an interview with Nature, that if her organisation’s forecasts have shortcomings, they could be remedied by giving it another £20 million a year for better computers. As she put it, “We keep saying we need four times the computing power.”

Yet it is only two years since the Met Office was boasting of the £33 million supercomputer, the most powerful in Britain, that it had installed in Exeter. This, as Prof Slingo confirmed to the parliamentary inquiry into Climategate, is what provides the Met Office both with its weather forecasting and its projections of what the world’s climate will be like in 100 years (relied on, in turn, by the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). Prof Slingo fails to recognise that the fatal flaw of her computer models is that they assume that the main forcing factor determining climate is the rise in CO2 levels. So giving her yet more money would only compound the errors her computers come up with.

In another interview, just before Christmas, when the whole country was grinding to a halt in ice and snow, Prof Slingo claimed that this was merely a local event, “very much confined to the UK and Western Europe”. Do these Met Office experts ever look beyond those computer models which tell them that 2010 was the second hottest year in history? Only a few days after she made this remark, the east coast of the USA suffered one of the worst snowstorms ever recorded. There have been similar freezing disasters in south China, Japan, central Russia and right round the northern hemisphere.

The only evidence the Met Office and its warmist allies can adduce to support their belief in the warmth of 2010 is that in certain parts of the world, such as Greenland, Baffin Island and the southern half of Hudson Bay, it was warmer than average. Yet even there temperatures are currently plummeting: Hudson Bay and Baffin Island are rapidly freezing, at well below zero.

The desperate attempt to establish 2010 as an outstandingly warm year also relies on increasingly questionable official data records, such as that run by Dr James Hansen, partly based on large areas of the world which have no weather stations (more than 60 per cent of these have been lost since 1990). The gaps are filled in by the guesswork of computer models, designed by people who have an interest in showing that the Earth is continuing to warm.

It is this kind of increasingly suspect modelling that the Met Office depends on for its forecasts and the IPCC for its projections of climate a century ahead. And from them our politicians get their obsession with global warming, on which they base their schemes to spend hundreds of billions of pounds on a suicidal energy policy, centred on building tens of thousands of grotesquely expensive and useless windmills.

A vivid little reflection of how our whole official system has gone off the rails was the award in the New Year’s Honours List of a CBE, one rank lower than a knighthood, to Robert Napier, the climate activist and former head of the global warming pressure group WWF-UK, who is now the Met Office’s chairman. The more the once-respected Met Office gets lost in the greenie bubble into which it has been hijacked, the worse it becomes at doing the job for which we pay it nearly £200 million a year, and the more our Government showers it with cash and honours.

Meanwhile, in the real world, another weather-related disaster is unfolding in the Sea of Okhotsk, off the coast of Russia north of Japan, where the BBC last week reported that a group of Russian “fishing trawlers” had got stuck in “30 centimetres” (a foot) of ice. It didn’t sound anything too serious. But, as my colleague Richard North has been reporting on his EU Referendum blog, the BBC underestimated the scale of what is happening by several orders of magnitude.

Although several smaller ships have now escaped, the two largest are still trapped in up to six feet (two metres) of ice – including one of the world’s biggest factory ships, the 32,000-ton Sodruzhestvo. They still have more than 400 men on board. Three Russian ice-breakers, including two huge 14,000-tonners, are engaged in what looks like a forlorn bid to free them. A 14,000-ton ice-breaker can scarcely clear the way for a ship well over twice its size. And as the weather worsens, with gales, blizzards and visibility often reduced to zero, the chances of helicoptering the men to safety seem sadly remote.

The mystery is why the Russians should, in the middle of winter, have allowed such a fleet of ships into a stretch of sea known as ''the factory of ice”. This is because all the rivers which empty into it from the Russian coast lower its salinity, making it prone to rapid freezing. But the Sea of Okhotsk has long been held out by the world’s warmists as an example, like the Arctic, of waters which, thanks to global warming, will soon be ice-free.

As we know from Prof Slingo, however, all this cold weather we are having at the moment is a local event, “very much confined to the UK and Western Europe”. Perhaps the Russian fishing fleet took the word of the Met Office, assuming that ice was a thing of the past. As the ice-breakers struggle to reach the hundreds of trapped men, and still-thickening ice threatens to start crushing the hulls of their ships, it seems that, short of a miracle like that which saved the Chilean miners, a major tragedy could be unfolding.

Meanwhile, the sad little nonentities in charge of our Met Office prattle on, extending their begging bowls – and our politicians who have put them there remain smugly and inanely oblivious to anything happening out there in the real world.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...d-freezes.html

otoc,

These videos have done nothing to change my argument or my opinion of the Bullsh*t agenda MMGW sickos purport.

Hansen did nothing to prove this is an ELE. Moreover, volcanoes spew out way more toxic and lethal gases into the atmosphere than CO2 in incredible amounts- WAY more and way faster than we ever have. It is believed that some of these eruption chains DID create one or more ELEs. Sooo, the point is?

Hawking even says that our destruction of CO2 processors is not a good thing- SO DO I. I've even posted in this thread that the restoration and reclamation of plant life is essential to maintaining the natural cycle and our supply of CO2. We should even consider the expansion of those processors. That is something we CAN do something about.

HE even admits that HE DOESN'T know! And our greater distance from the sun insures we will NEVER have an environment like Venus. And He knows that. Even Hawking knows that energy dissipates at a geometric rate the further distance you are from a point of source. He was referring to POSSIBLE atmospheric composition. Moreover, he is a theorist- not an applied scientist.

This is once again taking- "cherry-picking"- a science fiction extreme that can be used to frighten us into actions that may well have no meaning or bearing- even actually be counterproductive. Hawking even speculates that it may already be too late to fix the situation.

So- if it is- what are you going to DO about it?- be Chicken Little? Especially since all the carbon taxes and credit derivatives in the world won't fix it?

••••• scientists spout off croakings of doom and exploit them. The scientists I deal with help provide solutions. Take your pick.

And, I'd rather take advantage of a warmer planet myself. Hmmm, I may be too old to buy beach futures on the arctic circle.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 01-09-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroSim View Post
    otoc,

These videos have done nothing to change my argument or my opinion of the Bullsh*t agenda MMGW sickos purport.

Hansen did nothing to prove this is an ELE. Moreover, volcanoes spew out way more toxic and lethal gases into the atmosphere than CO2 in incredible amounts- WAY more and way faster than we ever have. It is believed that some of these eruption changes DID create one or more ELEs. Sooo, the point is?

Hawking even says that our destruction of CO2 processors is not a good thing- SO DO I. I've even posted in this thread that the restoration and reclamation of plant life is essential to maintaining the natural cycle and our supply of CO2. We should even consider the expansion of those processors. That is something we CAN do something about.

HE even admits that HE DOESN'T know! And our greater distance from the sun insures we will NEVER have an environment like Venus. And He knows that. Even Hawking knows that energy dissipates at a geometric rate the further distance you are from a point of source. He was referring to POSSIBLE atmospheric composition. Moreover, he is a theorist- not an applied scientist.

This is once again taking- "cherry-picking"- a science fiction extreme that can be used to frighten us into actions that may well have no meaning or bearing- even actually be counterproductive. Hawking even speculates that it may already be too late to fix the situation.

So- if it is- what are you going to DO about it?- be chicken little? Especially since all the carbon taxes and credit derivatives in the world won't fix it?

••••• scientists spout off croakings of doom and exploit them. The scientists I deal with help provide solutions. Take your pick.

And, I'd rather take advantage of a warmer planet myself. Hmmm, I may be too old to buy beach futures on the arctic circle.
    Aero, I realize nothing will convince for your mind is made up, but I'm not the one rattling on about theories or calling scientist pussies either. Not on either side.

Now, enjoy your warmer weather while you describe to me what happens when the tundra melts and all that methane is released into the air. Or the oceans warm and they release the captured C02.

My point is that science is working on better understanding the issues.

Your point seems to be you are convinced so anyone with a different opinion can go f themselves.

Personally, I don't even see the consistency in your statement that there is nothing man can do but man can change things by "restoration and reclamation of plant life is essential to maintaining the natural cycle and our supply of CO2. We should even consider the expansion of those processors. That is something we CAN do something about."

My point in using Hawkings and Sagan was to point out very respected scientists who have taken the same data that you have and come to a conclusion that this is not bullsh1t, a scam, or the position that you have inflexibly decided on.

So no, I am not in agreement with you. But I'm not calling it a sham on either side of the equation, am I?

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    So no, I am not in agreement with you. But I'm not calling it a sham on either side of the equation, am I?
    The sham is the abuse of this science.

So, are you simply advocating science that really has no solutions? Are you going to go with this approach?

The CO2 is something is something I can prove by putting you in an airtight room for a few hours. But it's not the quantity of CO2 that kills you. Do you know what it is? I can show you millions of people living in the desert. I can't do the same in Alaska or Siberia. Btw- methane, normally found in swamps, is generally a sign of the compost of rich soil. Maybe I'll suggest growing petunias.

Basically, technology only produces a very small percentage of the CO2. OUR NUMBERS AND WHAT IS REQUIRED TO SUSTAIN THEM PRODUCE A LOT MORE. Got any other reasonable solutions besides voluntary population control? I know that I've heard the private musings of some wholesale solutions "environmentalists" have.

This is where the MMGW argument falls apart. It's not the quantity of CO2 in the atmosphere nor the warming of the globe that is going to kill you.

It's the lack of O2. Even Hawking readily understood that. Had you and they made the argument that it's not the production of CO2 and warming that will kill us but the destruction of O2 production that will- I would have listened. The solutions offered by the MMGW party are side-stepping and ignoring this argument. When you ask people on the street anymore on how to help the environment the answer is becoming to make power more expensive or shutting down power plants altogether and not planting a tree or having fewer children. Though people have issues with it, the Chinese are showing signs of knowing better than we do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_population_control

How about reforestation and reclamation? How about irrigation for more than just crops? How about trying to figure out what is really killing the phytoplankton, because they have THRIVED with far higher concentrations of CO2 in far warmer climates. We have had a loss of 40% of these since 1950- AND IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF THE HEAT AND/OR CO2. This 40% could make things more tolerable. It seems like people already have ideas:

Phytoplankton are also crucially dependent on minerals. These are primarily macronutrients such as nitrate, phosphate or silicic acid, whose availability is governed by the balance between the so-called biological pump and upwelling of deep, nutrient-rich waters. However, across large regions of the World Ocean such as the Southern Ocean, phytoplankton are also limited by the lack of the micronutrient iron. This has led to some scientists advocating iron fertilization as a means to counteract the accumulation of human-produced carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere.[6] Large-scale experiments have added iron (usually as salts such as iron sulphate) to the oceans to promote phytoplankton growth and draw atmospheric CO2 into the ocean. However, controversy about manipulating the ecosystem and the efficiency of iron fertilization has slowed such experiments.[7]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoplankton

At any rate, the MMGW boogeyman is counterproductive in finding any real solutions of handling this issue. And THAT is what makes me angry.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 01-09-2011 at 01:45 PM.

William Jennings Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    ^^I make it a point to not directly answer posts that are obviously written in anger, but in your case, aero, I'll pull from what I think are your most important points.

Now, pay attention, lol.........
    Anger? Probably not. Try frustration - that would be closer to reality.

To continue on doing the same thing and expect different results - i.e. argu pro global warming with a bunch of naysayers - is widely considered a basis of insanity.......
    "Walk Heavy, Stand Tall, Carry a Big Stick"
    Daily Driver - ASUS CROSSHAIR Atholn 64 X2 6400+ - Liquid Cooled
    A/V Mastering & Processing - ASUS A8N32-SLI Opteron 180
    Print/File Server - ASUS A7V880 XP-3200 Barton
    System Specifications

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Anger? Probably not. Try frustration - that would be closer to reality.

To continue on doing the same thing and expect different results - i.e. argu pro global warming with a bunch of naysayers - is widely considered a basis of insanity.......
    It's okay, Steve. Anger spawns from continuing frustration. Then you say and/or do your piece- and let it go to continue with positive activities.

William Jennings Bryan.

There is no GLOBAL WARMING, just fake science from the wacko's.
    Dr. Seuss for 2011:I do not like this Uncle Sam, I do not like his health care scam. I do not like these dirty crooks, or how they lie and cook the books. I do not like when Congress steals, I do not like their secret deals. I do not like ex-speaker Nan, I do not like this 'YES WE CAN'..I do not like this spending spree, I'm smart, I know that nothing's free. I do not like their smug replies, when I complain about their lies. I do not like this kind of hope. I do not like it. Nope, nope, nope!

Quote Originally Posted by AeroSim View Post

It's no use Aero. I basically said the same thing to him last week. Otoc's mind is completely made up already. We are all going to die don't ya know. MMGW is here and only taxes and carbon credits can save us! Oh yeah, and think of the children!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AAdjuster View Post
    There is no GLOBAL WARMING, just fake science from the wacko's.
    Actually, I was trying to make a point with MMGW. MMGW ascribes man-made evil that creates destructive natural events. I'm trying to dispell the label.
    Men are going to create CO2 naturally in order to survive. Man is NOT destroying himself with his natural by-product. Moreover, GW is NOT man-made.

It is sun made.

This relationship between CO2 and warming is right as rain. In history CO2 lagged warming likely because warmth encourages more plant life that naturally requires more CO2 to grow- which has been likely encouraged by sizeable increases in the animal and reptile life to feed on the plants.

Now, if you want to argue how man is destroying O2 manufacture and CO2 processing- the discussion becomes more sensible and viable than carbon regulation, taxation, credits and derivatives.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 01-09-2011 at 05:01 PM.

William Jennings Bryan.