Page 7 of 305 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Re: The Great Global Warming Swindle

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Ever see the opening scene from the movie "Waterworld"? Apparently Hollywood subscribes to the "Noah's Ark" theory in that the world would be completely covered with water if the polar ice sheets melted completely.
    Ya. I'm not interested in the "consensus" the man made GW proponents in Hollyweird are pushing -OR- the hyperbole/fiction that the Goracle has been pimping around the world. It's a fact that MUCH of the polar ice melts due to spring thaw every year. They should be able top at least "ballpark" what the impact would be if ALL the ice melted.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    ^^^ Hey I don't know the math... but would love to see a fear inspiring model of the planet with 23 feet of extra water on the ocean. Just for curiosity's sake... to see how far inland it would cover in different parts of the world.
    Here's a worst case scenario, showing a rise in the sea of 150 meters. Interesting but it really starts to show how ridiculous some of these scientists claims are.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN
    Beware liberals with guns.

Here's a worst case scenario, showing a rise in the sea of 150 meters. Interesting but it really starts to show how ridiculous some of these scientists claims are.

According to that... I'd either have beach front property or be under the Valley of California sea. Hard to tell. I'll have to look up my GPS/elevation info.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Looks like I'd be 500 miles from the ocean instead of 520.

At least there'd be no more forest fires in Florida!
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

I remember at least 20 years ago they were talking about sea levels rising by 80 meters (roughly 262 feet). I thought that was cool because we had a very steep driveway and our house was 84 meters up. It would have made a great slipway.

Aye, perfect!!! To be honest, I like it.

No worries. Look whats ahead...

http://www.scotese.com/future2.htm

Im not calling this a swindle..but I know ine member who is gonna have words about this..

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...580343,00.html

I swear.... if I have to watch that commercial for the Discovery channel's pro man made gwobal werming program hysteria builder one more time... someone at Comcast will pay.

^^
    residents may soon be asked to make personal sacrifices to help save the planet.
    For the name of the greater good... we are taking things from you. Ok Hillary... Did a large number of the Bezerkley crowd immigrate to Colorado recently??

-The Gipper

I'm sure a few photos of icebergs melting during the spring thaw will have GW proponents supporters weak at the knees despite the mountain of evidence building against MMGW.

Kilimanjaro snow decline 'not due to global warming'

Snow decline on Mount Kilimanjaro is not due to climate change, scientists claim today.

The retreat of ice caps on the African mountain has been held up by some as evidence of global warming's effect on the world.

Writing in the American Scientist magazine, two researchers argue that this is an inaccurate view.

"There is no evidence to support that assertion. It's not that it is impossible, but rather the decline is most likely associated with processes dominated by sublimation and with an energy balance dominated by solar radiation, rather than by a warmer troposphere," said climatologist Dr Philip Mote, a University of Washington research scientist.

"There are dozens, if not hundreds, of photos of midlatitude glaciers you could show where there is absolutely no question that they are declining in response to the warming atmosphere."

But Kilimanjaro lies in the tropics where there are different processes at work than those that have diminished glacial ice in regions closer to the Earth's poles, the researchers Ė Dr Mote and Georg Kaser, a glaciologist at the University of Innsbruck in Austria Ė write.

They add that the decline in the Tanzanian mountain's ice has been happening for more than 100 years, with the majority occurring before 1953. But evidence of global warming before 1970 has been inconclusive.

Instead, they propose that the decline is due to interacting factors including the vertical shape of the ice's head, which allows it to shrink but not expand, and decreased snowfall.

Fluctuating weather patterns related to the Indian Ocean could also affect the ice, the scientists add.

A rough survey in 1889 suggested that Kilimanjaro's ice cap was about 12.5 square miles. In 2003 it was little more than 1.5 square miles.
    End of story

-The Gipper

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

"There are dozens, if not hundreds, of photos of midlatitude glaciers you could show where there is absolutely no question that they are declining in response to the warming atmosphere."
    So, one mountain IYO means there are no effects of GW?
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

Quote Originally Posted by Soundforbjt View Post
    So, one mountain IYO means there are no effects of GW?
    Up front.. I'm going to start using MMGW instead of spelling out Man Made Global Warming.... I'm just lazy that way.

The point here is the MMGW proponents have used the ice melting on Mount Kilimanjaro as 'proof" of MMGW. Let me restate my position for anyone interested.

Global warming = fact. It's getting warmer... not quite 1 degree yet.

Man mad global warming due to Co2 = myth. The earth's mean temperature has a long history of fluctuation. It's been both much warmer... and much cooler. Long before the Goracle started his crusade.

Oh.. here is sum good 411 about hurricanes that kinda debunks more of the Goracle's claims attributing "weather patterns" to MMGW.

Corals Show Recent Hurricane Spike Might Be the Norm

The recent upsurge in the number of major Atlantic hurricanes may be the rule and not the exception, a new report suggests. The findings of this and other studies call into question recent assertions that global warming is behind the burst in hurricane activity seen since the mid-90s.
    First-Ever 5,000-Year Record of Hurricanes Compiled

The 5,000-year record the researchers lifted from the dirt showed large and dramatic fluctuations in hurricane activity, with long stretches of both intense storm activity and quiet periods. The research was detailed in the May 24 issue of the journal Nature.

-The Gipper

Oh the humanity... I wonder if the Goracle owns stock in their carbon credit companies as well.

BBC Reports EUís Carbon Trading Scheme Has Actually Increased CO2 Emissions

BBC Reports EUís Carbon Trading Scheme Has Actually Increased CO2 Emissions
    Posted by Noel Sheppard on June 14, 2007 - 14:15.

On several occasions I have pointed out how much better foreign media are at presenting reports either skeptical of anthropogenic global warming or addressing the failings in government sanctioned solutions.

Last week, the BBC did a report on the European Unionís carbon trading scheme failing so miserably that CO2 emissions in the region have actually increased since the strategy was implemented.

Think any American television news division would touch this story save maybe Fox News?

Regardless of the answer, BBC.com presented some of the findings on June 5 (h/t Willis Eschenbach):

The EU's carbon trading scheme has increased electricity bills, given a windfall to power companies and failed to cut greenhouse gases, it is claimed.

An investigation by BBC Radio 4's File on 4 programme has found that after two and half years the scheme has yet to cut in carbon dioxide emissions.

The consumer body Energywatch said customers are getting a raw deal.
    Can you imagine Katie, Charlie, or Brian logging such a report? The article continued (emphasis added):

[The EUís Emission Trading Scheme] is essentially a permit to pollute.

Power generators received their allowances free of charge but were allowed to reflect the value of those in increased prices to customers, as if the companies had actually had to buy the allowances.

Energywatch believes this increased electricity bills by about 7% in 2005.

And according to one government estimate, that delivered windfall profits of up to £1.3bn to the generators in that year - higher than environmental campaigners had claimed last year.

However, so far the carbon scheme has brought no clear payback in terms of cutting emissions.

Provisional government figures from the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) suggest CO2 output in Britain actually went up, by 1.25% last year wiping out a slight drop of 0.01% in 2005.

It is also reckoned that CO2 emissions across the EU also rose by between 1 and 1.5% over the last two years.
    Amazing. Any questions why this will likely never be reported in America?

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Im not calling this a swindle..but I know ine member who is gonna have words about this..

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...580343,00.html
    It's a good thing I don't live in Denver as I'd now have to be making plans to move. That's just more stupidity coming from our lousy state leaders though. I love how they mention that Colorado is going to suffer from droughts and forest fires in the future, no doubt because we have for the last few years. Funny thing is it's been a very cold and wet spring so far. Hell, we even had snow come down on the 23rd of May here. The reservoirs are totally full now, and this is after our long drought. Where did the global warming go all of a sudden?

Thank God these idiots weren't in office here during the dust bowl back in the 30's. I can't imagine what measures they'd have taken back then to "save" us from ourselves. We're getting more "Californicated" here in Colorado everyday as they enact higher taxes, illegal "fees" that charge property owners a per quarter amount for how much "non permeable" surface we have on our property, and now this.
    Beware liberals with guns.

Warning, warning!!! The cold is coming!!! Earth to begin cooling in twelve years!!!

Scientists obviously paid for by some major neocon corporation have determined that the sun has some kinda "cycle" and its gonna cool down in a dozen years... I swear, these bastages just don't understand the need for shared wealth.