Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vista; which version?

I know i will be going with the home premium, but i was wondering if i should go with the 32 or 64 bit? are all the apps and games that are going to be made for vista going to be 64 bit compatible?

Thanks!
    Current Rig: Intel Q6600 @ 3.15 GHZ-Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Rev 3.3 MOBO-2 GIGs GSkill DDR2800

My HEAT

Re: Vista; which version?

I got the Vista Business in 32-bit. Yet my hardware are 64-bit, isn't it? I am wondering why it's an issue with Vista (32/64 bit flavors)!?!? It should have both and detect the right stuff during installation, huh?

I haven't install the Vista yet. I am going to wait until my last semester is over, then I can play around with OS... or I should install it on my laptop in the meantime?

I think Vista Business Edition would be a good one, since the top one would have the garbage (and Nero 7 would have all that in one package as well).

Chuck

Go with 32-bit for now. Most apps/games are designed for 32-bit. You can always change to 64-bit later.

CNT, It won't detect the difference between 64bit and 32-bit. You have to choose which one to install.

Vista Business doesn't come with 64-bit included but you can request a copy from MS for just the cost of shipping. Only Vista Ultimate comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions bundled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Only Vista Ultimate comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions bundled.
    I didn't know that one. Well, at least that's good (most people spill a lot of money for the Ultimate in the first place).

Vista Business doesn't come with 64-bit included but you can request a copy from MS for just the cost of shipping.
    Maybe then I should order it now, before something comes up in a surprise (like gas prices).

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CNT View Post
    I didn't know that one. Well, at least that's good (most people spill a lot of money for the Ultimate in the first place).
    Not if you go OEM from www.newegg.com
    Current Rig: Intel Q6600 @ 3.15 GHZ-Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Rev 3.3 MOBO-2 GIGs GSkill DDR2800

My HEAT

I'm running Vista 32-bit. I can't see it being worthwhile to run 64-bit until 2-3 years from now when there is more supported software.
    "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did. I said I didn't know."

- Mark Twain - Life on the Mississippi

I Served Too - Notable entertainers who served in the military

I used Vista Ultimate x64 and it does work on any games which usual on 32bits -- I tried installed and play some of my favour one and it worked prefer without freezing, etc.. it still can work on older software which usual for XP and Vista x86 into Vista x64... that included BigFish Games that I got MCF software (Huntsville, Prime Suspect and Ravenshearst) - it still work as well.

Alright, thanks for the help

My HEAT

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Only Vista Ultimate comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions bundled.

Huh?Im also wondering about which to get as well I know Ill probably get ultimate but I still dont know 32 bit or 64 bit and newegg seems to sell them seperatly they dont come bundled

If I were you, I would stay with XP...still a lot of bugs in Vista and i didnt like it a bit. Most people would agree

Quote Originally Posted by Ganj View Post
    Huh?Im also wondering about which to get as well I know Ill probably get ultimate but I still dont know 32 bit or 64 bit and newegg seems to sell them seperatly they dont come bundled
    Yeah but ask I said, you can order the other version from MS for just the cost of shipping. So if you buy 32-bit now (recommended), then you can get the 64-bit version for just a few bucks.

So mjolnir, microsoft will only send you the 64 bit version for the cost of shipping if you buy the ultimate version?

Quote Originally Posted by syedrehankn View Post
    If I were you, I would stay with XP...still a lot of bugs in Vista and i didnt like it a bit. Most people would agree
    Im just going to install a second hard drive with vista on it, i agree though that vista has way too many bugs to just switch completey.

My HEAT

both Vista 32bits and 64bits are same price in the UK - I would go for 64bits as most of my games still working great No there werent very much bugs in Vista but only you need is the drivers to support as you know XP has lots of hotfix patch that usual every month that how it store in your hard drive - quite a lots of space. Anyway it up to you which one - Stay with XP or move to Vista either 32bits or 64bits - it yer choose.

I bought ultimate a few weeks ago and it came with 2 disks. 32 bit on one disk and 64 bit on the other. I have loaded both a couple of times. Driver support is the same for both if you just need chipset and video drivers. The issue I had is the drivers are not there for apps like hardware monitoring and tweaking that require use of a special driver. For instance core temp does not work on 64 bit but works fine on 32 bit. I had issues with sisoft sandra on 64 bit but not on 32 bit. If you run sli forget a stable vista. From what I have read most issues with nvidia drivers are because of sli so take that for what its worth. I may use xp for a few months until nvidia fixes the driver problems. I do not have ati cards but I hear the drivers they have are much better in vista.
    Core I7/GA-EX58-UD4P
    6 gigs of ddr3 1600
    Raid 0 x2 WD 320AAKS
    4870 X2
    Silverstone 1000w Strider psu
    Thermochill PA 120.3 with dual pumps

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan89 View Post
    So mjolnir, microsoft will only send you the 64 bit version for the cost of shipping if you buy the ultimate version?
    No. Ultimate comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions bundled. If you buy any other version (except Starter Edition), you only get either 32 bit or 64 bit - depending on which one you choose. However if you want the other version at a later stage you can order it at a later stage.

More info:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ons/64bit.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx

I suggest you call MS and confirm the cost and procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan89 View Post
    Im just going to install a second hard drive with vista on it, i agree though that vista has way too many bugs to just switch completey.
    Smart move. That's probably what I'll do if I get Vista. Either that or run it on a spare PC.