Planning an upgrade this summer... major or minor?

I put this system together in August 2005 and it was a beast at the time, and still works well for me. I don't play games anywhere near as often as I did back then. I'll be heading off to college in August/September, so I may get a laptop as well.

What I'm trying to decide on is a major or minor upgrade. I could simply buy a 939 dual core and upgrade my video card and I'd be fine for another few years as I see it. Or, with the new quad-cores coming out later this year, I could do a brand new system based on 775. I don't like how AMD changes sockets every several years. They said 754 was temporary and that 939 was their longterm socket. Then they went and dropped 939 (I understand why, what with DDR2) for X2. I haven't been too impressed with X2 from the systems I've built for friends with them. But I digress.

New dual core CPU+video card or new Intel system?

Re: Planning an upgrade this summer... major or minor?

I would do a very minor upgrade as Dual cores cost less than $100 nowadays, and invest more into a powerful notebook.

$1500 is the price for a high quality notebook from Asus or MSI otherwise you could go with higher priced names such as Alienware, Voodoo PC... Sager.. ETC.

If you want to know more about where to get the best deals on high quality notebooks, I could send you in the right direction...

Re: Planning an upgrade this summer... major or minor?

I don't like how AMD changes sockets every several years
    Intel changes sockets as often, but more to the point when they introduce a new cpu it needs a new motherboard as the power is no longer compatible. Although AM2 has taken over as the "new socket, you can get a s939 cpu of the same capability as an AM2. This will no longer be true when K10 is introduced, as the new cpu's will be AM2 and up.
    I upgraded my 3700+ SD to an Opti 170 (dual core) and didn't miss a beat. Even the same overclock (2850).

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)