Question SLI or Single Card?

I've seen alot of craze about SLI.

I dont see the pay off, when you waste up to $600+ on two video cards for a bit better preformance.

6 months later, a new model comes out and one of the new gen cards beat the preformance of your two.

Sure if you have the money to waste who cares right?

But if it is a problem, I dont think its worth it at all.

Buy yourself something that will last you a longer time, like a monitor insted of that second card.

What does everyone think about SLI ?
    System.

6400@stock
    AB9 Mobo
    2gb DDR 800 ram.
    8800GTS
    2X160Gb HDD
    250GB HDD

3D 06 - Highest 1112
    3D 05 - 19320

Re: SLI or Single Card?

I agree, I think in most cases you can find a single card that will perform as well as two cards in SLI at the same price point.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

I disagree,if you got the money for it SLI is the way to go.Benchmarks prove almost doubling your performance with SLI.
    Of course this all depends on the right combination of cards.But right now for example you can get 2x8800GTS 320mb versions and SLI them and they will have more horsepower then a single GTX but with slightly less video memory

Unfortunately this is a debate with no winner. I agree with both sides of this coin because frankly, I am not one of the masses that can afford to go out and buy two High end video cards.

SLI was and is a great concept and it is for the people that can afford two video cards at once for ultimate gaming.

You can get 2 7900's for less than the price of 1 8800gtx And possibly out perform that one GTX.

However if you want the best of the best and you got that money burnin a hole in your pocket- you can send two 8800 GTX's to my address .....er I mean ... You should be able to have the ultimate gaming experience that you can afford.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Actually an 8800GTX will perform better then dual 7900s and the 8800 is a Direct X 10 card, 7900 is Direct X 9

Which is why I mention the 8800 GTS 320 mb version,comparing that to a GTX is closer to apples vs apples if you ask me since they are both same generation,and 2 GTS 320ers will cost the same as a single GTX and have more GPU horsepower but slightly less video memory which shouldnt be a problem.

when u think for a generation sli is the king. if you take in account a card one year from now that will double the gtx(dont think so but anyway) then no,its not worth it.
    the 320's in sli is the best u can do for now with your money. make sure yer psu makes it tough and if u have a dual core below 2.5 giger itll be a bottleneck as well.
    dan

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

And because all of this type of bouncing back and forth between SLI and non, I'm still running on my X850XT-PE. I have no need for anything more powerful.
    Having a smoking section in a resturant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.

Benchmarking only lasts so long; then it's over and done with. You want eye candy always. One KA video card will provide you just as much satisfaction as duals. Your eyes will not be able to tell the difference.
    BIOSTAR TPower I45-E7300-Zalman 9500-GeIL Ultra-Sapphire HD3870 Xfire-Seagate Drives-Antec 300-22" BenQ-W7
    abit IP35 PRO-E8600-Thermalright HR01 Plus-KHX-Sapphire HD4870T-Seagate Drives-Antec 300 w UGuru Panel-22" LG-XP Pro
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe-Q6700-TRUE BE-Noctua Fan-Corsair Dominator-Sapphire HD4870 2GB-WD Black Drives-CM690-40" Bravia V-W7
    POWER BY PC POWER & COOLING

SLI is only worth it at the TOP end of the range, i.e. 8800 series. Pairing up two mid-range cards is not worth it, since a single high end card will always outperform it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganj View Post
    I disagree,if you got the money for it SLI is the way to go.Benchmarks prove almost doubling your performance with SLI.
    What kind of benchmarks?

No body should pay attention to synthetic benchmarks. Real world game benchmarks are the only ones that should be paid attention to at all.
    AMD 9950 BE @ 3.0 GHz
    AMD 4870
    4 GB Corsair RAM
    Foxcon Mobo
    1 x WD Velociraptor 300GB
    1 x WD Raptor 74GB
    1 x WD 120GB
    Antec Case

"Pink hearts, yellow moons, green clovers, orange stars... That leprechaun's on aciiiid!"
    -Dave Chappelle/Black Gallagher