Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Am I being hacked?

What I meant by pulling off the network to test is this:

If you suspect some backed up data is the problem, access it from a known clean machine that isn't connected to the network your other machines are on if you are worried about network infections.

I would enable the firewall and learn to use it. Its a consumer grade device, it shouldn't be that tough to learn if you have a manual around.

As far as happening on clean installs, that pretty much narrows it down to mean that its not your back ups as far as I would be concerned. It would seem pretty coincidental that precisely the moment you are back up and running the dude tries to remotely connect, so it would seem to be automated, again pointing towards your theory of infected install disc. XP Home is getting pretty cheap IMO.
    Last edited by AntiNazi; 04-01-2007 at 12:13 AM.
    TForce550se|brisbane3600@2.4ghz|2x1gb|7900gs@550/800

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Thats the thing,I now suspect the other 2 comps in my house may be infected as well!!!

As for the router firewall I already checked manual and it doesnt explain anything about enabling it or how it works.

As for the XP cd,I have had it for years since XP was realeased,I am seriously considering going legit now though,but yet again even if I do,what if "they" have my IP logged and still get in even after everything is clean?

Im looking to buy windows xp right now and im confused,
    one says Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition (Upgrade with Service Pack 2) (PC)

and the other Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition (with SP2) (PC)

The first one is cheaper.
    But it says upgrade?!?!What does that mean?That I would can only use it to upgrade to XP from a previous OS?
    I want something to be able to do a clean install with the XP cd alone!!

upgrade means you are supposed to need a license from a previous ms os to use it, you can on pre vista (afaik) upgrades do a full install with the upgrade disc, you just have to insert the previous os install disc to confirm you have it.
    TForce550se|brisbane3600@2.4ghz|2x1gb|7900gs@550/800

That sux,what like a Win 98 disc?I think I threw that out lol.
    So which should I get to just do a normal install of XP with out needing anything else?The second option which is more expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganj View Post
    Thats the thing,I now suspect the other 2 comps in my house may be infected as well!!!

As for the router firewall I already checked manual and it doesnt explain anything about enabling it or how it works.

As for the XP cd,I have had it for years since XP was realeased,I am seriously considering going legit now though,but yet again even if I do,what if "they" have my IP logged and still get in even after everything is clean?
    The firewall works out of the box. In general, the option in the router configuration are for opening ports that are closed by default. REset it to defaults (the manual definitely tells you that) and it should protect you no matter if something is targeting the IP or not.

Use a couple of different online virus scanners from the links given above to scan the things you are suspicious of, your XP CD, and your music/video folders.

Edit: Also, when you install XP, before you plug in the ethernet cable, be sure to check the LAN connection and that the firewall is tuned on. This to protect you from infected computers in you LAN.
    Last edited by Senor Panadero; 04-01-2007 at 01:33 AM.

Thx panadero,I already ran both kaspersky and trend micro house call online scanners on my PC and they found no viruses,although trend micro did find some vunerabilities.

Ill run them again specifially in my music folder just in case.

Btw im looking at windows xp home at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=&srchInDesc=

And obviously I would like to get the cheapest one which is 89 bucks but it says this:

"Qualifying proof of purchase must be recent receipts showing the purchase of a mother board, hard drive, RAM and a CPU. The components can be on multiple receipts; not necessarily all on one receipt nor on the same receipt as the qualifying Windows XP/Office 2003 that you purchased."

What does that mean?They wont sell it to me unless I can show them receipts of my hardware!?!?!

Sounds like it is part of there bonus packs - so if you have spent any money on hardware at newegg lately you are good to go
    "Five senses; an incurably abstract intellect;
    a haphazardly selective memory;
    a set of preconceptions and assumptions
    so numerous that I can never examine more
    than a minority of them-never become conscious
    of them all.
    How much of total reality can such an apparatus let through?"

Thats the thing,I havent got anything from newegg for like a year.
    Would stuff I bought last year count?And how would they see proof of purchase anyways?Through their invoice logs?

"A remote system is trying to access Microsoft Generic Host service 32"
    First, your firewall blocked it so theres no worry at that point.

And this is why im so suspicious that they may have my IP logged already.
    Should I call my ISP and tell them to change my IP???
    Second, your not being targeted.

Most of those sort of connections are drive by via compromised machines, and changing your ip will not solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Most of those sort of connections are drive by via compromised machines, and changing your ip will not solve the issue.
    Could these compromised machines be on my LAN?
    And bryan,even if my firewall blocked it shouldnt I still be concerned?From what I have been told,even if it is blocking it,there is other stuff that is indeed getting through.
    What I want is to not get any alerts period

Also I just saw that Vista home costs exactly the same as XP home,should I just get vista instead?But yet again I heard a lot of horror stories about vista,like that atm games dont run as well as they do on XP,and some people cant OC their video card with vista.If this is the case I think Ill stick with XP for now but I dunno
    Last edited by Poci; 04-01-2007 at 04:27 AM.

Could these compromised machines be on my LAN?
    And bryan,even if my firewall blocked it shouldnt I still be concerned?From what I have been told,even if it is blocking it,there is other stuff that is indeed getting through.
    What I want is to not get any alerts period...
    Sure they could. But your Windows firewall will be on as above, right?

You will never not get any alerts. If you set your router logs to show everything, and look at them, you will find constant attacks, pretty much all day every day. You will find that there are old computers running Msblaster out there. A significant percentage of the traffic on the internet is malicious stuff like this. Just leave your router on, leave the ports closed like it is when you got it and you are OK. Keep Windows updated, keep an anti-spyware (you get it free with legit Windows) and an antivirus running, practice safe computing by being careful what you click on. You probably will never have another problem.

Free anti spyware with legit windows?
    What is that bit defender or something?

Free anti spyware with legit windows?
    What is that bit defender or something?
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

The one I use spyware doctor supposedly has the same feature.But hey I guess Ill try spybot anyways.

Also I just noticed a few more suspicious files in windows root folder,they are bmp images.....
    One is named coffee beans.bmp another soap bubbles.bmp
    Wth Im pretty sure they arent supposed to be there and I have no idea how they got there
    LOl those are OLD school wallpaper. Holdovers from W95 maybe even Windows 3.x. They’ve been around forever.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870