Help - Is my PS not enough to boot my DS3?

Hello,
    First time post here at PC Per, id appreciate any help.
    Also the first time ive tried just upgrading my MB/CPU instead of building a completely new system, and the machine wont post.
    I got the gigabyte 965p-ds3 r3.3 along with an intel e4300 processor. I swapped my two OC PC2 5400 gold memory sticks from my old system and nothing.
    Ive been reading the posts regarding this board and i stripped everything down to the RAM/CPU and still get several short beeps from the board before it powers down only to power up and do it again and again unless i switch off the power supply. The cpu fan doesnt turn at all.
    Could it be possible my PS is to blame? Is there any way I could have a bad board? the PS is an antec 400w but everything worked very well with my previous board (Asus p5wd2 premium).
    Thanks in advance.
    -nando

Re: Help - Is my PS not enough to boot my DS3?

It possibly could be your Power supply, I had a computer do something like that and I change the power supply and everthing was ok. I'd try at least a 500watt.

Quote Originally Posted by therager View Post
    Hello,
    Also the first time ive tried just upgrading my MB/CPU instead of building a completely new system, and the machine wont post.
    I got the gigabyte 965p-ds3 r3.3 along with an intel e4300 processor. I swapped my two OC PC2 5400 gold memory sticks from my old system and nothing.
    Ive been reading the posts regarding this board and i stripped everything down to the RAM/CPU and still get several short beeps from the board before it powers down only to power up and do it again and again unless i switch off the power supply. The cpu fan doesnt turn at all.
    Could it be possible my PS is to blame? Is there any way I could have a bad board? the PS is an antec 400w but everything worked very well with my previous board (Asus p5wd2 premium).
    Thanks in advance.
    -nando
    Thats not a power issue, thats more than likely a RAM issue. Unless you are running some sort of crazy Video Card the pull on these pieces shouldn't be too much for a 400 watt if its an Antec...granted you are reaching the threshold with it and that would probably be the next thing you should upgrade.

CPU-Z My Heat
    Request Granted. Safe Passage Guaranteed via JimZ

Hello,
    Thanks in advance.
    -nando
    The short beeps are supposed to be a power issue but for me it ended up being the RAM. I swapped the PQI turbo I was trying for some OCZ Platinum and it posted fine at default. I'll just warn you that the rev 3.3 has been giving a bunch of users including myself a a major migraine trying to get it to a stable overclock. The turning on and off is very typical. Some users are getting great results though. Maybe it's just the combo of parts used.
    Last edited by rbwilton; 03-31-2007 at 08:20 PM.
    Gigabyte DS3, E4300, 7900GS, 2x1GB OCZ pc6400, Antec 650 Trio, 3GHZ
    Asus A8N-E, Opteron 165, x800Pro, XP90 2.85 ghz
    Gigiabyte K8N51PVMT Micro, NV6600
    Abit Nf7s v2.0 M2600+, Biostar M7NCD pro M2400+, Shuttle AN35 M2200+

Thanks for the replies guys (and/or girls).
    The only other thing i could think of trying was going to 1Gb on the RAM instead of the two sticks, same problem, then I changed the stick from slot 1 to the others and instead of a lot of short beeps i got one very long one followed by the off/on repeat pattern and no POST.
    Id rather not buy more memory just for testing, is there a viable option for OC'ing the intel E4300 in another MB? Maybe I could trade in the DS3... As a consumer I have no brand loyalty, just whatever works best
    Thanks again,
    -nando

Update, for anyone this might help:
    I gave in and bought some new memory (2GB Patriot PC2 6400) and a new PS (OCZ 700W), kept the Gigabyte DS3 and now everything runs well. So it was either the memory (most likely) or the PS.
    Ive managed a stable 3.15GHz and might try for a little more later.
    Thanks for the help.

Your system will probably not even consume 200W - so your PSU, assuming it is servicable, is not the issue.

You can calculate your requirements here (please read the notes)

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

Unless knackered, your PSU is more than adequate - I doubt your system draws even 250W

See here for a neat means to calculate PSU requirements:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

Don't forget to read the notes

Update, for anyone this might help:
    I gave in and bought some new memory (2GB Patriot PC2 6400) and a new PS (OCZ 700W), kept the Gigabyte DS3 and now everything runs well. So it was either the memory (most likely) or the PS.
    Ive managed a stable 3.15GHz and might try for a little more later.
    Thanks for the help.
    Now you've got power to spare should you add an 8800 video card. I'm running a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 in my intel system and even that might be overkill, though IMHO a good psu is a good investment for stable power and future systems.

Also, I was struck by one of your original comments about the cpu fan not turning. I was puzzled by that as well when I built this sytem, my first Intel build (always AMD in the past) and discovered that the default for the psu fan is auto, and these C2Ds run so cool that the fan won't kick in right away unless you turn off the auto setting.

Sounds like you've got a good OC going. Have fun. For a long-time AMD user, I've been extremely happy with my 6600 and the DS3. It is a quirky board at times (I've got rev. 2), and I was having some problems with it rebooting until I bumped my vcore a bit (now at 1.45). Now it's rock-solid at 3.36GHz (480 X 7).

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Hi all,

just wondering if a Coolermaster extreme 550W will work for this board?
    i'm a bit budget limited right now , still haven't got my parts for my build.

e4300
    7600GS
    1G Corsair XMS DDR667
    160G Seagate SATA HDD

will do slight overclocking ~3.GHz

any suggestion for an alternative PS within the same price range?

Thanks!

More than enough - see my posts above. You can use a 435/450W or even a 350W and still have plenty to spare. Depends what you want to do in the future. Your system will only require 200W max...

Use the PSU calculator I linked to.

Thanks. nice link.