Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what causes a system to keep power cycling?

When I try to turn my computer on, it keeps turning itself off, and then on, and then off again without posting/booting. It will sit there and do this several times with black screens. I have to pull the power cord, switch the on/off button back and forth, and keep playing around with it before I can eventually get it to boot...

What is the problem? Here's my system:

Newegg Part# Hardware Qty
    13-128-323 MB GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 P965 775 1
    14-102-070 VGA SAPPHIRE 100176U X1950PRO R 1
    17-371-001 PSU ANTEC|TP3-650 RT 1
    19-115-003 CPU INTEL|C2D E6600 2.4G 775 4M R 1
    20-227-139 MEM 1Gx2|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P800R22GK R 2
    22-136-014 HD 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000KS % 1
    22-136-055 HD 250G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD2500YS 2
    27-136-103 DVD_BURN LG|GSAH22N BK RAM % 1
    35-118-003 CPU FAN ZALMAN|CNPS9500 AT RTL 1

I'm running XP Pro SP2.

Re: what causes a system to keep power cycling?

if it makes you feel better, you're not alone..i've not only read about this re: gigabyte boards with the 965 intel chipset, but also with the asus and biostar boards..and some seem worse than others..referred to as the cold boot issue and i think it's a fault of the 965 chipset. if so, the workaround is to:

power down the board.

turn off or pull out the cord. i leave the power switch off for about 15 seconds before turning on again.

default bios is enabled..then if overclocking, i reload my save bios profile, it reboots and then is fine.

i only turn off my computer about 3 times a week so while it's a small pain, i could see it being a bigger pain for someone rebooting daily.

interesting as this article says it's indeed a chipset issue...but says it should have been fixed in the C2 revision of chipset..mine is a C2 and i still experience the issue most times after shutdown..here's the link with more info:

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/i.../30230284.aspx

this from an anandtech review..i have bios F9 by the way..do i want to potentially solve coldboot issues by going with F7, but lose 1033 support, if i read correctly? not that big an issue for me. i always get it to boot fairly quickly:

The F8I BIOS cured most of the overclocking issues along with providing some other updates, but it seemed as if the final F8 BIOS release lost some overclocking capability and introduced cold boot issues in certain systems. It did offer overclocking profiles in the BIOS along with Creative X-FI compatibility fixes, but the DS3 still wasn't as good as some alternative P965 motherboard offerings. After hearing our complaints and those of users, Gigabyte quickly followed up with the F9 BIOS release. Our testing to date reveals the F9 BIOS has once again improved the overclocking of this board at the expense of memory timings at the upper end, but performance does not suffer significantly when compared to other motherboards in the same price range. Other improvements in the F9 BIOS include further Kentsfield tweaks along with official support for the upcoming 1333FSB rated processors. We have also noted that certain cold boot issues such as overclocking settings disappearing have been solved in our test bed configuration, but we still feel like the memory timings need some fine tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by tenax View Post
    if it makes you feel better, you're not alone..i've not only read about this re: gigabyte boards with the 965 intel chipset, but also with the asus and biostar boards..and some seem worse than others..referred to as the cold boot issue and i think it's a fault of the 965 chipset. if so, the workaround is to:

power down the board.

turn off or pull out the cord. i leave the power switch off for about 15 seconds before turning on again.

default bios is enabled..then if overclocking, i reload my save bios profile, it reboots and then is fine.

i only turn off my computer about 3 times a week so while it's a small pain, i could see it being a bigger pain for someone rebooting daily.
    so thats is whats up with this board . I never knew !
    It was driving me nuts trying to fix mine . Thought I had a bad board but now I know it is a chipset issue , glad now I went with a nvidia board and not another 965 chiset board . I would have been realy kicking myself know LOL
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Thanks Tenax.

My machine is not overclocked or anything. I'm screwed because someone built this for me and it's not working properly. You guys are all talking way over my head.

I guess I need to try out a different version of BIOS and update my SATA2 Drivers? Sounds great but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks.

Glad I have a 975 chipset!

Well, mine is overclocked like a big dog, has never had a cold boot issue.
    No SATA RAID, however.......
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

I wasn't having recycling per se with my ds3, though it happened, but I was having trouble re-booting such that any bios changes would not really stick unless I shut my system down completely for like 5 minutes, even turning off my psu. This was becoming annoying.

But then to push my speed up a bit, I upped my vcore from 1.375 to 1.45 and the bios issues have completely vanished. Now it re-boots just fine and any bios changes stick. So it's almost as though I was undervolting my system. Interesting noteworth is that, despite running at 1.45 in my bios, cpu-z reports my vcore at just under 1.41. So I do sort of wonder if my board is undervolting a bit.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Kingston HyperX 120g SSD (W7 64-bit), 1TB Black Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, WD Black Caviar 1TB OS drive accelerated via RST by 60G Mushkin Enhanced Chronos, 320 WD Blue Caviar, unknown DVD drive, MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, old Antec Super Lanboy case, LG 22" monitor, Win 7 HP 64-bit

that's a good point about the undervolting, cause there were undervolting issues not in earlier bios revisions..cpu-z reports mine not at 1.325, but 1.280...and that's overclocked..i didn't want to hit my cpu with that high a voltage..i've never tried over 1.375 but i will try 1.4 and see how that works..you might be onto something. that being said now that i think about it...what's your processor temps with tat though? i suspect mine will go to a place i don't want to go..maybe damned if i do, damned if don't.

Using the 965 Chipset is a double-edged sword. You can get amazing performance....once you get it to work. The Cold-boot issue is chipset based yet can be set off by a number of different hardware combinations; memory, psu, etc. Its pretty much to the point that if you go with formal troubleshooting with the board manufacturer, you will get an endless list of steps you've already tried or a polite version of "suck it."

The best fix I've ever seen to it would be to pray you can remove one of your ram dimms and get it to post to bios where you need to ramp up both the VDIMM and chipset voltage.

CPU-Z My Heat
    Request Granted. Safe Passage Guaranteed via JimZ

Quote Originally Posted by tenax View Post
    that's a good point about the undervolting, cause there were undervolting issues not in earlier bios revisions..cpu-z reports mine not at 1.325, but 1.280...and that's overclocked..i didn't want to hit my cpu with that high a voltage..i've never tried over 1.375 but i will try 1.4 and see how that works..you might be onto something. that being said now that i think about it...what's your processor temps with tat though? i suspect mine will go to a place i don't want to go..maybe damned if i do, damned if don't.
    Tenax, good question. When using tat in my super lanboy with the side panel on, and with my tuniq tower (I used zalman thermal paste which I really like), and with my current vcore of 1.45, I idle in the mid 30s and when running orthos I go up to the mid 50s per tat. However, when I take that side panel off the super lanboy, I idle in the high 20s, and when running orthos it stays in the mid 40's per tat.

In short, I need to replace the plastic see-through side-panel, and am looking for some kind of screen instead. I've had three other mobos in this case, and never had temp problems. I think the tuniq tower is a two-edged sword. Without the side panel off, it obviously is doing its job and quite well. But with the side panel on, the tuniq tower is so big that I think it's significantly blocking air flow. I mean, the layout in my case basically is the same as it's always been with the exception of the tuniq tower. And that's with two 120mm fans, one in the front and one in the back. Before the DS3, I had my 8800 in there with a biostar micro-atx board running an overclocked 3500 venice and my cpu temps were fine.

But to get back to your original concern re. vcore and temps on this board, with my vcore bumped to 1.45, MCH to +.2, vdimm +.3, and with proper cooling (please note: I'm also using the thermaltake extreme spirit II on my northbridge), the cpu is running nice and cool.

marty
    Last edited by alex666; 04-04-2007 at 04:52 PM.
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Kingston HyperX 120g SSD (W7 64-bit), 1TB Black Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, WD Black Caviar 1TB OS drive accelerated via RST by 60G Mushkin Enhanced Chronos, 320 WD Blue Caviar, unknown DVD drive, MSI GTX 560 Ti OC, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, old Antec Super Lanboy case, LG 22" monitor, Win 7 HP 64-bit

hmmmm..that wouldn't work for me..my idle on tat is a lot warmer than that (high 40's in each core) i have a good cooler (the TT typhoon) but didn't realize until after i got it, it didn't have much clearance from the top of the cooler to lid of my case (maybe 1/2 an inch...silverstone media case) so i'm stuck with what i got..not as effective as it could be, i'm sure i should note i'm also running intel qst so my case is ultra quiet) given i only reboot a few times a week, if it does coldboot, the workaround is a minor issue for me. ps- overclocked to 3.3 on my 6400 so i'm pushing it pretty good right now

I posted some shots of my BIOS settings. Does anything stand out to you guys as to what might be causing my problems? Do I need to increase voltage or something?

Thanks

http://www.pbase.com/artsupreme/inbox

This voltage seems very low, to me.

Here is mine:

Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!