Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    790

    damn msn messanger

    I was downloading msn messenger on my desktop. In the middle I canceled the download. On the desktop I got unfinished file which I can't delete now because it tells me that some process uses the file. i tried turning processes off that could use it but nothing. Can you help me/.??

  2. #2
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,503

    Re: damn msn messanger

    Have a look into this thread and see if it might help you,
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...50&postcount=1

    And here is how you get ride of MSN
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=288
    Last edited by Ezzo; 04-16-2007 at 09:32 PM.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    790

    Re: damn msn messanger

    those didn't help. I got rid of the msn software but that annoying file is still there and cant be removed. What do I do..

  4. #4
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,761

    Re: damn msn messanger

    Boot into safe mode then you should be able to delete it

  5. #5
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    790

    Re: damn msn messanger

    when i boot in safe mode all files are gone from desktop. only recycle bin is there

  6. #6
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14,223

    Re: damn msn messanger

    Quote Originally Posted by mumin View Post
    when i boot in safe mode all files are gone from desktop. only recycle bin is there
    I suspect that it's not actually a file. Try searching the registry for the full file name. If that doesn't help, rename or delete the thumbs.db and desktop.ini files in both:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Username]\Desktop
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

    Restart the PC.

    Failing that, try using System Restore to roll back to a point before you tried downloading that file.

    If that doesn't work, boot up from the XP CD, jump into the Recovery Console and navigate to those two folders and see if the file does exist. If so, delete it from there. The Recovery Console shows hidden files by default.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 05-31-2007 at 11:02 PM.

  7. #7
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    790

    Re: damn msn messanger

    I tried deleting the file while in safe mode . Same message came out.

    Mjornir When I go to those C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Username]\Desktop
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop my name where needed I dobt se bd and ini files. I'm sorry if I have stupid problem but maybe I'm missing something

  8. #8
    Joined
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    75
    Posts
    237

    Re: damn msn messanger


  9. #9
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    790

    Re: damn msn messanger

    Yeyy it did work.. Moveonboot did the job. Thank you megatonone and thank you everyone for dealing with my problem.

  10. #10
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14,223

    Re: damn msn messanger

    Quote Originally Posted by megatonone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mumin View Post
    Yeyy it did work.. Moveonboot did the job. Thank you megatonone and thank you everyone for dealing with my problem.
    Good work

  11. #11
    Joined
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    75
    Posts
    237

    Re: damn msn messanger

    Thought I would post this for future refererence:

    My Bud had a file that when he tried to delete it a msg would popup stating "Cannot delete file. Cannot read from source file or disk."

    Moveonboot would not delet it but the following solution did successfully delete it:


    Go to the 'Start > Run' line, type
    cmd
    and press Enter. At the command prompt, type
    cd desktop
    and press Enter. Now, type
    dir /x
    and press Enter. You should have a list of files (including shortcuts) and folders that are located on your desktop. Because of the '/x' switch, the list will include both the old style 'short' file name and the longer file name. Say you locate the file and its short name is "PICTU~3.jpg". Then you would type
    del PICTU~3.jpg
    and press Enter. Does that work or generate a different error message?

    If it works, you probably had a character that shouldn't have been allowed in the file name or path. Using the short file name in a delete operation will generally get around that.

    FWIW
    Last edited by megatonone; 07-12-2007 at 08:33 PM.

  12. #12
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14,223

    Re: damn msn messanger

    Quote Originally Posted by mumin View Post
    I tried deleting the file while in safe mode . Same message came out.

    Mjornir When I go to those C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Username]\Desktop
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop my name where needed I dobt se bd and ini files. I'm sorry if I have stupid problem but maybe I'm missing something
    Yeah when you unhide hidden and system files, you'll see those files. You can unhide files by going to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View (tab) and uncheck each of the options for hidden files and extensions under the Advanced Settings section.

    Quote Originally Posted by megatonone View Post
    Thought I would post this for future refererence:

    My Bud had a file that when he tried to delete it a msg would popup stating "Cannot delete file. Cannot read from source file or disk."

    Moveonboot would not delet it but the following solution did successfully delete it:


    Go to the 'Start > Run' line, type
    cmd
    and press Enter. At the command prompt, type
    cd desktop
    and press Enter. Now, type
    dir /x
    and press Enter. You should have a list of files (including shortcuts) and folders that are located on your desktop. Because of the '/x' switch, the list will include both the old style 'short' file name and the longer file name. Say you locate the file and its short name is "PICTU~3.jpg". Then you would type
    del PICTU~3.jpg
    and press Enter. Does that work or generate a different error message?
    dir /x simply lists the filename in 8.3 format, so if you had a file called pcperspective.jpg and tried dir /x, it would appear as pcpers~1.jpg. Even without doing dir /x, you can delete files using their 8.3 format

    Quote Originally Posted by mumin View Post
    If it works, you probably had a character that shouldn't have been allowed in the file name or path. Using the short file name in a delete operation will generally get around that.

    FWIW
    That makes sense There should never be illegal characters though.

  13. #13
    Joined
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    75
    Posts
    237

    Re: damn msn messanger

    Even without doing dir /x, you can delete files using their 8.3 format
    Cool...thanks for the teach Mjölnir

    There should never be illegal characters though.
    After reading a bit about the eight-dot-three ruleI think I see your point about the illegal characters.

    My buds issue began when a friend sent him an email that had an attachment that he could not open so he saved it on his desktop to look at it later. The name of the file was "Oil Change instructions for Women" (I recognize this as an old joke going around sometime ago)...it showed the file extension as "file".

    I don't know if this was a legit file that just got buggered up or perhaps some type of malware...hopefully it's gone for good tho

    Thanks for your response

  14. #14
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14,223

    Re: damn msn messanger

    No worries I wouldn't put it past any OS not to muck up a file name. Just 'cos it shouldn't happen doesn't mean it wont happen

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •