Why is my new SATA Hard Drive listed as Removable Hardware?

I have just fitted a new SATA hard drive alongside a IDE hard drive which works fine.

I noticed when I select ' Safely Remove Hardware' the SATA hard drive is listed under Hardware devices. Is this normal?

Re: Why is my new SATA Hard Drive listed as Removable Hardware?

Yes with the nVidia drivers, as your sata drive is removable.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

but don't try removing it, though.

the sata specification is hot-pluggable, but you have to meet a few requirements to support it, one of which is an orange 3.3V power wire.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Thanks guys, this is my first experience of SATA hard drive.

I have noticed it takes longer to load up the operating system when I have both Sata and Ide drives connected.

It shouldn't.
    ***STILL WITH THE DARK SIDE, BUT PLANNING TO GO BACK TO AMD SOON ***

C2D E6400/ GA-P35-DS3 / HD4670

Quote Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
    I have noticed it takes longer to load up the operating system when I have both Sata and Ide drives connected.
    Like MarkHark said, this shouldn't happen. Something is amiss. While I use only sata drives now, for several years I had a sata OS drive with an ide storage drive and there was no slowdown by having them both connected. And I've never read of others reporting such problems.

Is your ide drive huge and full of files or something? Do you have programs installed on your ide drive? Is your ide drive much slower than your sata drive?

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

It depends on what board your running . The newer nforce 6 SATA drivers SUCK IMO . I was experencing the same slowdowns as you with my new Intel /nvidia rig . I found that uninstalling the nvidia SATA drivers fixed it . Now I am using microsofts IDE drivers with no issues , and only a small proformance hit on my raptor X drive . Try that and post back
    Also be sure to install MS dual core patch , I found that it helps as well here is a good read for ya and a link to download the patch
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416
    Last edited by brothergc; 05-02-2007 at 11:25 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

You didn't happen to change the jumper setting on the IDE drive because you added the SATA drive.

Thanks for your comments. I have done some accurate start time tests and it only takes 10sec longer to load up with the IDE hard drive connected. 2m 45s without IDE and 2m 55s with.

As I said before I am new to SATA drives. To fill in the gaps to all the questions asked here is how I set up the SATA hard drive

I have a K8N Neo 2 motherboard and was running XP Pro on a WD 80Gb IDE hdd. I disconnected the IDE hdd connected the SATA hdd to SATA4 connector on the motherboard partitioned the SATA drive and reloaded XP Pro onto the first partition.

All was well so I reconnected the IDE hdd (without changing the jumper from master) . The IDE hdd does not have that much on it the main programs being XP Pro and fltsim 2004.

I do have XP Pro on both drives but this does not seem to be a problem and XP runs ok from the SATA drive.

The object of the exercise was to install FSX onto the SATA drive which I have done and which runs Fine.

Thanks again for all the comments I don't think the start time is an issue.

Regards

John (fltsim addict)

Quote Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
    The object of the exercise was to install FSX onto the SATA drive which I have done and which runs Fine.

Thanks again for all the comments I don't think the start time is an issue.

Regards

John (fltsim addict)
    FSX is a resource hog, isn't it. I'm running it on my intel system and it does pretty well. I'm about to install Vista Home Premium on a brand new 74g raptor on the intel system, and I'm anxious to see how it runs under vista.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

...939 nf3.mbami.....uh...2m+ is to much!!!!to load!!!
    must 5.10 nv drv for chipset and let all and no for nvide!!!!
    and When nvchipset ALWAIS must master on longerpart of ide!!
    ..newest bios for mbo! bc it is specific!(abit eng once said nf3 is not even for soc A) so newest bios and disable no neeaded there .
    Last edited by srea; 05-11-2007 at 09:59 PM.