Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Re: The Senate's "Grand Bargin"

I like when these guys get nasty. Here is from Hugh Hewitt [who is livid with McCain]

"
    "For those new to McCain-speak, allow me to translate:
    Deal's done. I am the guy. I made it happen. My opinion mattered, not yours. What I do in the middle of a campaign for president has nothing to do with politics. My critics are all motivated by politics. Since I have already made up my mind, no debate is necessary, so shut up. Republicans especially shut up. This is how things get done in D.C.: You roll over for Democrats. And by the way, cutting half the fence and leaving the other half subject to the whims of the anti-border security bureaucracy equals protecting national security, just like the Gang of 14 was good for the confirmation process and McCain-Feingold good for the First Amendment. So, if you didn't hear me the first time: Shut up. Sit down. I'm your nominee.
    I'm John McCain and I approved of this message.
    John McCain's antics throughout 2005-2006 cost the GOP the majority in the Senate. Now he's going to do for Smith, Sununu, Coleman and others what he did for DeWine, Talent and Santorum."

What I always wonder about? The behind the scenes stuff that must exist.
    After observing Bush's obvious pleasure with this "deal"[search video this afternoon]
    I wonder if somewhere there wasnt some conversation passed along that basically said.."gimme the immigration bill and Ill agree to it so long as you get me my war funding deal done without dates etc"

I know people that play that complicated game and it makes me nuts. Everything is combined and related.

I do stuff single issue. This means this and that means that.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-17-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Once again my hopes rest on the House, but this time I'm not feeling very comfortable with the House killing this thing.

This is the mid eighties all over again, and I fully expect this issue to be at the forefront for many years to come. But hey, just think of all those new voters we're going to have!

I listened to 1 minute of Savage, he said Reid and Pelosi were already complaining this bill didn't do enough for illegal aliens. He's probably right, we'll be giving illegals more and more each and every year, and we will not have secure borders.

nyone else?
    What's your point? Is your recommended course of action to do nothing? Or for all current legal Americans to just leave for the next batch of illegal immigrants? Be careful what you wich for, the earth's warming and we just might decide to all move North.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

^^^ I've said before that I'd never vote for McCain.

When I watched Teddy on the tele, proclaiming "the deal" was cut... who's head was behind him? John McCain's.

The guy's a friggin' crook. When are the rest of the Republicans gonna catch on?

Lincoln Savings and Loan.
    The stupid arse campaign finance pile of dung.
    Many more in between.
    Now this horseshit.

Wake up conservatives... he ain't one.

^^^Romney BTW.

http://www.mittromney.com/News/Press...tion_Agreement

"I strongly oppose today's bill going through the Senate. It is the wrong approach. Any legislation that allows illegal immigrants to stay in the country indefinitely, as the new 'Z-Visa' does, is a form of amnesty. That is unfair to the millions of people who have applied to legally immigrate to the U.S.

Former Senator Fred D. Thompson... [Rich Lowry]

... today released the following statement regarding the immigration bill currently pending in the United States Senate: “With this bill, the American people are going to think they are being sold the same bill of goods as before on border security. We should scrap this bill and the whole debate until we can convince the American people that we have secured the borders or at least have made great headway.”
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-17-2007 at 08:47 PM.

^^^ He's a "fence first" guy.

Re: The Senate's "Grand Bargin" [Immigration Debate]

Quote from Rudy G

“Today's Senate agreement falls short of the actions needed to both solve our country's illegal immigration problem and also strengthen our legal immigration system. Border security and a reliable employment verification system must be our first priority.”

Edit. Just now there is a good back and forth with Romney about this at Hugh Hewitt's site
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-17-2007 at 09:10 PM.

^^ Buenas tardes señor JimZ

"America been berry, berry good to me!"

And you Senor Tucker. Like you? I enjoy the bezball.

More links

Deal Struck on Immigration...
    BUSH HAILS...
    McCain: 'Important step in moving forward'...
    Sen. Graham: 'Last, best chance to pass immigration reform on our terms as a nation'...
    Pelosi: 'I have serious concern'...
    Romney 'strongly opposes'...

---------------------

A Story Senator McCain Might Want to Address [Kathryn Jean Lopez]

From Newsweek :
    Three of the Fort Dix suspects entered the United States illegally more than two decades ago. How tighter immigration enforcement might have prevented the possible plot before it was ever dreamt up.
    05/17 06:51 PM
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 05-17-2007 at 09:18 PM.

via Hot Air

Update: Tancredo goes right after McCain:
    “Senator McCain and his allies seem to think that they can dupe the American public into accepting a blanket amnesty if they just call it ‘comprehensive’ or ‘earned legalization’ or ‘regularization.’ Unfortunately for them, however, the American people know amnesty when they see it,” said Tancredo. “The President is so desperate for a legacy and a domestic policy win that he is willing to sell out the American people and our national security.”
    “If Senator McCain and Senator Kennedy spent as much time working on improving border security as they did poll testing creative euphemisms for amnesty, America would be a much safer place,” quipped Tancredo.
    Update: Rich Lowry thinks the “triggers” are a scam from the word go, with amnesty granted immediately upon passage of the bill and the “Z visas,” which are keed to the enforcement triggers, only relevant insofar as they allow the bearer to travel. But even if Lowry’s wrong, what happens to the illegals who are here while the feds are working towards the triggers? Let’s say they get bogged down and can’t get them done for another decade. What’s the status of the “undocumented” during that interim period?
    Update: Illegal aliens don’t like the bill either, a claim which will doubtless be trumpeted by proponents to “prove” that it’s a fair compromise. Actually, what it proves is that even the amnesty side of it is crap that won’t achieve what it means to.
    The sub-moronic “touchback” provision comes in for special abuse:
    David Guerra wants to be legal, but he says the path to citizenship offered by the Senate on Thursday would be too risky and too expensive, and could end up driving him deeper into the shadows…
    “If I go home, who is going to guarantee that I’ll be let back in?” said the 44-year-old who lays bricks, clears weeds and does landscaping…
    “Where would I find $5,000? In two years, I don’t get $5,000,” said Daniel Carrillo Maldonado, an illegal immigrant who was looking for construction work outside a Home Depot in Phoenix…
    Amy Ndour, a 23-year-old illegal immigrant from Senegal who lives in New York, said she would be willing to pay the $5,000 fine, but not return home because her family there depends on what she earns as a hair braider.
    “I’m helping myself” here, she said. “I’m helping people there too.”…
    Many illegal immigrants said they had little incentive to apply for residency because the process was long and did not offer much hope of bringing their families.
    “If I’ll never be able to bring my family, why should I apply?” said Jose Monson, a 33-year-old illegal immigrant from Guatemala who has lived in Los Angeles for four years. “I prefer to just stay here illegally.”

Whats funny to me? All the candidates...running for President....with the exception of the ones quoted...wont have a "take" until they read what their opinion is.

Whats funny to me? All the candidates...running for President....with the exception of the ones quoted...wont have a "take" until they read hear back from the pollsters regarding what their opinion is.

If candidates don't have an opinion on how this should be handled yet, they should remain Senators (just guessing that all the fence walkers are Senators).

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Okay, here's the litmus test. Any plan to deal with Illegal Immigration or whatever you wish to call it should be held up to this and see if it is fair:
    ~~~~~~~

How does the new plan compare to what is actually being done with the LEGAL immigration applicants?

~~~~~~~

If the new plan, in any way, makes it easier to come, stay, or work in the United States than the plan in effect for LEGAL immigration, it should be dead on arrival.

I would LOVE to hear anybody explain why this would be the wrong litmus test to apply 'nStuff...

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Here's a fine resource to get started... Dafydd ab Hugh over at Big Lizards. He's compiling exactly what the agreement says, and links to the sources so you can read the source material yourself.

His initial analysis is that it IS a compromise, not a rollover... and that it WILL allow legal immigrants to achieve Citizenship before those following the path from invader to Citizen.

I haven't had a chance to go through it all, but so far it doesn't look as horrible as I thought it would... but I withhold judgement until I know enough to make a decision 'nStuff.

I wrote Sen Kyl a letter via www.Congress.org. It wasn't very nice. I hope
    HS doesn't come after me. No threats save for trying to help those who
    want his sellout a$$ out of office the next time he's up for reelection.

I contacted the two moron's that are senators here in Ca, but I don't speak or
    write Martian and I'm convinced that's where these two nitwits are from.
    And from the dark side of it too..They gave the old " we'll just have to agree
    to disagree". I KNOW I'm not the only one that is upset about this. People
    all OVER are raising h*ll.

Have any here ever seen a immigration support site ?
    As I've said before, I don't have a problem with it as long
    as it's done LEGALLY. I truly feel this is a direct slap to
    the face of people including our member here THOMAS LYNN,
    who did it the right way, met the obstacles to become a citizen
    here, etc. God what he and millions like him must be thinking right
    about now regarding this sellout so these politician creeps can
    stay in power over D.C way..

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com...&nh=1&jca=6665
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 05-18-2007 at 03:44 AM.