Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Talking Ned goes all wobbly, got himself a date with Beryl

OK, so I'm months behind everyone else on this, but I had the day off work and thought it best to do something productive... so I completely reinstalled my main desktop system.

First up, a nice fresh CentOS 5 DVD goes onto the system. Now, I've never really done 3D before (I'm not a big gamer), and my hardware is modest - here we have an aging Athlon XP, 512MB RAM and a meager GF4 MX440 graphics card.

So next I installed the nvidia proprietary (I know) drivers (wow, that was easy!) and straight off we have glxgears whizzing around. Now for the hard core stuff...

You guys have been doing this AIGLX, compiz, beryl stuff for ages, but I thought it about time I gave it a try. Using CentOS, based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, probably isn't the best choice of distro for this as there's not a great call for spinning cuboid desktops in the Enterprise, but what the hey. So I got AIGLX and compiz installed (that does come with CentOS), but was rather underwhelmed by the bland effects available under gnome. Being a KDE guy, I then built myself some some shiny new Beryl RPM packages for CentOS 5 (if anyone running CentOS wants the RPMs, I can host them somewhere for you)... and now I have spinning cuboid desktops too

What truly amazed me is how blisteringly fast the effects are on an old run of the mill system. I feel sorry for all those folks that paid out for Vista/Aero
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 05-10-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Re: Ned goes all wobbly, got himself a date with Beryl

Heh , Ned you were the smart one waiting for a bit to mess with this stuff. Heck just a few months ago I was pulling my hair out getting it to work and now, on some distros, it's working out of the box!!!

At first I thought is was just another gimmick, but after using this on my desktop for a while I have come to appreciate that there is actually some functionality.
    Biostar TA 770/ X2 7850 BE
    AC Freezer 64 Pro
    OCZ Gold 4x1024
    EVGA 9800GTX
    Coolermaster CM-690
    Coolermaster RPP RS-650
    Win7Pro

Yeah - it must be a doddle on the likes of Fedora that have the packages already built. I had to build my own packages for Beryl, and configure xorg.conf, but apart from that it worked without too much difficulty - I was actually quite surprised as I didn't even have to restart X or KDE

The other thing that really impresses me is how little overhead it all uses even on old hardware!

I quite like the spinning cube for virtual desktops. What other features do you like?

Not sure what it's called but when you put your mouse cursor in the top right corner and it lays out all of your windows. I'm using it more and more, rather than selecting windows from my panel. And I use the transparency quite a bit, alt+mouse wheel is my close friend.
    Biostar TA 770/ X2 7850 BE
    AC Freezer 64 Pro
    OCZ Gold 4x1024
    EVGA 9800GTX
    Coolermaster CM-690
    Coolermaster RPP RS-650
    Win7Pro

Quote Originally Posted by culinist View Post
    And I use the transparency quite a bit, alt+mouse wheel is my close friend.
    Wow - thanks, hadn't spotted that one, I can see how that will be extremely useful

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    OK, so I'm months behind everyone else on this, but I had the day off work and thought it best to do something productive... so I completely reinstalled my main desktop system.

First up, a nice fresh CentOS 5 DVD goes onto the system. Now, I've never really done 3D before (I'm not a big gamer), and my hardware is modest - here we have an aging Athlon XP, 512MB RAM and a meager GF4 MX440 graphics card.

So next I installed the nvidia proprietary (I know) drivers (wow, that was easy!) and straight off we have glxgears whizzing around. Now for the hard core stuff...

You guys have been doing this AIGLX, compiz, beryl stuff for ages, but I thought it about time I gave it a try. Using CentOS, based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, probably isn't the best choice of distro for this as there's not a great call for spinning cuboid desktops in the Enterprise, but what the hey. So I got AIGLX and compiz installed (that does come with CentOS), but was rather underwhelmed by the bland effects available under gnome. Being a KDE guy, I then built myself some some shiny new Beryl RPM packages for CentOS 5 (if anyone running CentOS wants the RPMs, I can host them somewhere for you)... and now I have spinning cuboid desktops too

What truly amazed me is how blisteringly fast the effects are on an old run of the mill system. I feel sorry for all those folks that paid out for Vista/Aero
    That looks amazing, so now do you think it's worth me redoing my main rig up to 5? Bare in mind, I'd have to reset up AMP, Send/Squirrelmail, I'd go X86_64 so I'd have to d/l install FF 32bit, like you say, I have the day off, and all weekend, but it would definately take some work - I'd also have to backup all my webpages.
    Last edited by Jackal; 05-11-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Hi Jackal,

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    That looks amazing, so now do you think it's worth me redoing my main rig up to 5?
    Now don't go trying to get me into trouble

To quote Senor P, the 3D effects are fun to play with but they wear a bit thin after a while. I'm still enjoying playing with them, yes Linux IS FUN, but I'm sure he's right. Oh, and SuperKaramba is now built in to KDE so you can have weather and system panels on the desktop

Firefox has been crashing all morning too (arhhh) - I think it may be related to the en-gb dictionary extension I installed (seem to remember Spanky having similar problems??) so I uninstalled it. Also, it took me 3 hours to find the tweak that takes you back to using the native KDE dialogs in Firefox instead of those hideous default dialogs (save as, etc).

If you do go to 5, and want help getting Beryl working, I can talk you through building your own RPMs from the FC6 Extra's repo source files. Maybe we could document it properly and write a little howto as I don't remember everything I did. I know you'll need a fair amount of devel packages installed - I was missing some of the X devel packages and had to install more missing dependencies with yum, but everything was either available in base or from RPMForge apart from the Beryl and related RPMs I built myself from FC6 extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Firefox has been crashing all morning too (arhhh) - I think it may be related to the en-gb dictionary extension I installed (seem to remember Spanky having similar problems??) so I uninstalled it. Also, it took me 3 hours to find the tweak that takes you back to using the native KDE dialogs in Firefox instead of those hideous default dialogs (save as, etc).
    Should have said - that's FF 2.0.0.3 installed straight from Mozilla's site, not the version 1.5.x that ships with CentOS

, can't make up me mind, 4.4 is running SO well, I almost hate to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    , can't make up me mind, 4.4 is running SO well, I almost hate to risk it.
    That's the dilemma

3D effects are getting easier to setup on many Linux distro's now. On Ubuntu all you have to do is click on "enable desktop effects" and it will work as long as you have the graphics driver installed. Yet another step forward for the smart OS.

Quote Originally Posted by urbeg View Post
    3D effects are getting easier to setup on many Linux distro's now. On Ubuntu all you have to do is click on "enable desktop effects" and it will work as long as you have the graphics driver installed. Yet another step forward for the smart OS.
    Yep - CentOS had the same deal under gnome, but the standard effects were pretty boring I thought. No doubting though that Ubuntu has done a lot to advance usability out of the box.

I had XGL(?) set up on my rig back in late 2005 or early 2006. Looked pretty cool but it's nice to hear that it's built into some of the newer distros. My brother was telling me about the VGA driver support in Feisty Fawn so I'll download that next week and set my rig up again. Looking forward to it

When I was home for a job interview the other day I threw ubuntu 7.04 on a spare machine (so I could get on some forums to occupy some time) and I ended up throwing beryl on it, was pretty nice. Gonna play with it more when I get home from school for the summer.
    TForce550se|brisbane3600@2.4ghz|2x1gb|7900gs@550/800

ubuntu uke: ? too much work