Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Ned goes all wobbly, got himself a date with Beryl

Your welcome - glad it's sorted

Yes, the Wise One, a super g e n i u s, for internet stuff, trust me I know, as I'm a fledgling web designer, and I can't tell you the number of things he's helped me with! ! So much in fact, I almost feel bad asking him now, feel like I oght to be paying him, hehe.

No xinetd in the install? Me thinks somebody goofed on that one, that's a pretty important package to make users have to install with YUM - even though YUM is easy as pie, it still should be included in the standard install IMHO.

Well, heck, I have the day, did the "honey-do" list yesterday, after another cup 'o joe or two, I might just take the plunge.

So much to do - transfer roles (especially if VMware is gonna get all goofy on me), back up me web files, VMX machine files, and email to DVD. Install 5, tweak it the way I like things, get YUM setup with protectbase, and me favorite repo's, start installing proggies, get the servers back up on the new version, copy over email and web files.....

I'm tired already.....hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Well, heck, I have the day, did the "honey-do" list yesterday, after another cup 'o joe or two, I might just take the plunge.

So much to do - transfer roles (especially if VMware is gonna get all goofy on me), back up me web files, VMX machine files, and email to DVD. Install 5, tweak it the way I like things, get YUM setup with protectbase, and me favorite repo's, start installing proggies, get the servers back up on the new version, copy over email and web files.....

I'm tired already.....hehe
    I couldn't get protectbase working correctly either! I'm currently getting around it by using --enablerepo= or --disablerepo= on the yum command line.

Also, I just noticed kbsingh has now also built Beryl RPMs and has them in the testing part of his repo here:

http://centos.karan.org/

Probably easier to try and use his as he rebuilds from FC extras for CentOS just like I did.

you mean with 5? As it's working great on 4.4.

Ned - That looks amazing. I was going to try this on my work PC. Do you know if this is possible using CentOS 5 x86_64 DVD install method? I don't know if there is an RPM for the 64 bit arch.

Thanks!
    ./

you mean with 5? As it's working great on 4.4.
    Yes, on 5

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post
    cleared out cache/cookies. then checked the 'accept cookies from sites'. Good to go. Thanks for the assist/ideas. The wobbles are thankful as well.
    glad you got it sorted out
    hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Carlwill View Post
    Ned - That looks amazing. I was going to try this on my work PC. Do you know if this is possible using CentOS 5 x86_64 DVD install method? I don't know if there is an RPM for the 64 bit arch.

Thanks!
    Here's a sort of general method:

First up, make sure you have 3D support (DRI) working for your graphics card. Then I would try grabbing the Beryl and related packages from here:

http://centos.karan.org/el5/extras/testing/x86_64/RPMS/

You'll need the following packages (these are the one's I built, but you can grab the x86_64 versions from that repo):

Code:
    [buildsys@jessie i386]$ ls
    aquamarine-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    bdock-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    beryl-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    beryl-core-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    beryl-core-devel-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    beryl-gnome-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    beryl-kde-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    beryl-manager-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    beryl-plugins-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    beryl-plugins-unsupported-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    beryl-settings-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    beryl-settings-simple-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    emerald-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    emerald-devel-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    emerald-themes-0.2.0-1.el5.noarch.rpm
    heliodor-0.2.0-1.el5.i386.rpm
    Then place them in a folder like beryl and try installing them with rpm as so:

Code:
    rpm -Uvh *.rpm
    You'll probably hit some missing dependencies, all of which I was able to manually resolve with YUM either from base or from RPMForge. Here's the link for the RPMForge repo if you don't have it set up already:

http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories/RPMForge

Finally, configure xorg.conf according to the following depending on whether you are using ATI or nvidia:

http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/I...edora_Core#KDE

That's about all I did to get Beryl running under KDE. You'll then find Beryl installed on the System menu
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 05-13-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Thanks - Looks like I have something to do at work come Monday morning!!!
    ./

ah how lovely having an issue already and haven't begun, I use TBird as my email client, and I can't get to the local store folder - even as root, to burn to cd.

It's located in /home/dbohon/.thunderbird/blah blah blah

problem is I can't see .thunderbird in me k3b window, any ideas, I have mail I cannot lose. So although I have finished all 5 FSMO transfers, and setup DHCP on my standalone Winders DC, I'm stuck right here until I can backup me mail.

Figured it out - burning CD now - will be performing install in about 10 minutes.

/me crosses fingers, LOL.

as long as I get install complete - libdvdcss, vmware and 2nd dc up, sendmail for my domain, Xine, and NTFS support going for today, I'll be tickled, like to get Apache and me https website running too, but if not, that can w8 for another day. .

CD just finished, catch y'all in a few, I hope!

Well, so far, it's installing - I don't like the install process compared to the "older" RH versions - I liked to be able to select "custom everything", and not have to worry that some package didn't get installed. Writing this from me main DC, let y'all know how it goes in a few.

Well, we're here, and you're right Ned, I haven't even got anything installed yet, no Nvidia drivers, nothing, and it's slippery quick. Will post back some more after some "tweakage".

So Far, Jackal Likey.

Ha - nice job Jackal

Well, so far, it's installing - I don't like the install process compared to the "older" RH versions - I liked to be able to select "custom everything", and not have to worry that some package didn't get installed. Writing this from me main DC, let y'all know how it goes in a few.
    I know what you mean - just installing everything is a great way to make sure you don't suffer from cryptic error messages and missing dependencies.

There is a cheating method you can use to install everything using YUM. After installing, just do:

Code:
    yum install \*
    and that will install absolutely everything from the base OS repo. You probably don't need everything, and selecting all the package sets in the installer is probably enough (why would you really want 25 different language sets installed!). Of course now we have yum it's far easier to resolve missing dependencies than in the old days. Make sure you don't do that with extra repo's enabled though!!!

Also, you could just copy all the RPM files off the DVD into a folder and install the lot manually with RPM:

Code:
    RPM -Uvh *.rpm
    That would work too
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 05-13-2007 at 04:43 PM.