Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Ned goes all wobbly, got himself a date with Beryl

definately gonna have to do some repo tweakage, 15mb d/l FiOS and I'm getting 5K d/l on the updates, taking forever .

It would also appear they added some fixes to the XServer, as I had a devil of a time with me monitor - "signal over range", this time all I had to do was change the refresh rate in display properties - all better.

Can't find some things though - defaulted to GNOME, I want KDE, but can't find "Desktop Switching Tool". Hmmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    It would also appear they added some fixes to the XServer, as I had a devil of a time with me monitor - "signal over range", this time all I had to do was change the refresh rate in display properties - all better.

Can't find some things though - defaulted to GNOME, I want KDE, but can't find "Desktop Switching Tool". Hmmmmm....
    As usual, the desktop switching tool isn't installed by default... but you actually don't need it.

From the graphical login screen, if you select session > KDE, it will ask you if you want KDE just for that session or permanently. Select permanently and it does the job for you

after killing that graphical update tool YUK!, and installing Yum fastest mirror, and just doing yum update, much quicker.

I gave up using the RH graphical update tools after struggling with up2date - it was always awful. YUM is just so much easier, and faster too, I wouldn't use anything else.

OMG, this has been SO much easier than before so far, added RPM forge - just d/l and told it to install itself, found all my apps so far, and installed with YUM, Xine, libdvdcss, Nvidia drivers, everything working beautifully, and as mentioned fast as hell.

Only thing left to do, is install 32bit FF, so can get Flash installed correctly, then from there server configs, which should be nothing.

This ROX!!!

How did you install the nvidia driver, Jackal?

I'm new to the proprietary drivers - I installed from nvidia's website using the legacy drivers, needed for my older GF4 440MX. Is there an easier way using yum?

Also, you should check out dkms - dynamic kernel module support (it's available from RPMForge). It allows kernel modules to be automatically dynamically rebuilt against newer kernels so no more messing about reinstalling display drivers etc every time a new kernel comes out!!!

Code:
    $ rpm -q dkms
    dkms-2.0.13-1.el5.rf
    I haven't been able to test how it works yet... waiting for the next kernel update

It should work for any modular kernel driver, so wireless ndiswrapper, display drivers etc - it may even work for the VMware Server drivers. Best part is, this stuff was developed by Dell
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 05-13-2007 at 08:26 PM.

What Firefox are you going with? I'm still having issues with my Firefox 2 (installed from mozilla's website) crashing - it just closes. Nothing Ive tried has fixed it yet.

I may try running with no flash for a while (to establish if it is Flash causing it) or try switching back to the CentOS FF1.5 to see how that does (but I'm addicted to the inline spell checker in FF2).

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    How did you install the nvidia driver, Jackal?

I'm new to the proprietary drivers - I installed from nvidia's website using the legacy drivers, needed for my older GF4 440MX. Is there an easier way using yum?

Also, you should check out dkms - dynamic kernel module support (it's available from RPMForge). It allows kernel modules to be automatically dynamically rebuilt against newer kernels so no more messing about reinstalling display drivers etc every time a new kernel comes out!!!

Code:
    $ rpm -q dkms
    dkms-2.0.13-1.el5.rf
    I haven't been able to test how it works yet... waiting for the next kernel update

It should work for any modular kernel driver, so wireless ndiswrapper, display drivers etc - it may even work for the VMware Server drivers. Best part is, this stuff was developed by Dell
    Well, I installed the RPMFORGE repo via the web, just googled DAG, found that and instead of save, I did run, 1st I did the protectbase plugin, and the fastest repo plugin, from there YUM search nvidia, found the one I wanted, and YUM install - also FYI when installed via YUM you do not have to update the drivers for each kernel update, I forget who told me that, but it works like a charm, may have been Carl, give credit where due.

What Firefox are you going with? I'm still having issues with my Firefox 2 (installed from mozilla's website) crashing - it just closes. Nothing Ive tried has fixed it yet.

I may try running with no flash for a while (to establish if it is Flash causing it) or try switching back to the CentOS FF1.5 to see how that does (but I'm addicted to the inline spell checker in FF2).
    Currently the FF that comes with the DVD distro, after yum update 1.5.0.10, also X86_64, so I will have to manually d/l and install 32 bit for Flash, and Java Support (bastards!).

They still have not fixed the graphical tool for xine, if you try and scroll through setup menu's in the GUI, it hardlocks the whole system, hence the beauty of Linux, changes I want to make I just make them in the config file, to hell with the GUI.

Damn, I can't believe the difference KDE is absolutely FLYING! TOTALLY worth the extra work for getting all the servers set back up, installing 32bit FF, etc....., not for the "Mothers Day - requisites", 4 hours worth, I'd have it ALL back to normal, so far it's a rock just like 4.4 i386.
    Last edited by Jackal; 05-13-2007 at 09:54 PM.

hmmmm, some things they left out others they added in, LOL, it appears that 32bit FF is installed by default - plugins added, working great.

Now "all" I have to do is get me servers back working - and copy me backed up data.

I installed VMware server (the new 1.0.3) yesterday but haven't gotten around to setting up a VM yet - I didn't back up my old VM, figured I'd install from scratch (WinXP Pro VM on CentOS host). Hopefully I'll find time to get that done tomorow and let you know how it goes

I installed VMware server (the new 1.0.3) yesterday but haven't gotten around to setting up a VM yet - I didn't back up my old VM, figured I'd install from scratch (WinXP Pro VM on CentOS host). Hopefully I'll find time to get that done tomorow and let you know how it goes
    The fresh VM install (Win XP Pro) went as smooth as you like. I went all defaults, bridged networking and default VMware tools