Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Re: Ned goes all wobbly, got himself a date with Beryl

uninstalled/reinstalled Apache - it auto added all the needed modules , Ned if you still want me help, just PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    uninstalled/reinstalled Apache - it auto added all the needed modules , Ned if you still want me help, just PM me.
    Thanks Jackal

Probably going to have to put that little project on hold for some time... got other things I really need to get done first. It's one of those things I'd like to look at, but it's finding the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Firefox has been crashing all morning too (arhhh) - I think it may be related to the en-gb dictionary extension I installed (seem to remember Spanky having similar problems??) so I uninstalled it.
    Well, nothing ever did fix that issue, although I'm pleased to report that since updating to version 2.0.0.4 it's been solid as a rock. It was obviously a bug in Firefox 2.0.0.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozilla
    As part of the Firefox 2.0.0.4 and 1.5.0.12 update releases Mozilla developers fixed many bugs to improve the stability of the product. Some of these crashes that showed evidence of memory corruption under certain circumstances and we presume that with enough effort at least some of these could be exploited to run arbitrary code.
    After living with this day in, day out, for just over a month, this is simply the best desktop OS setup I've ever run, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    After living with this day in, day out, for just over a month, this is simply the best desktop OS setup I've ever run, period.
    It kinda grows on ya huh?

What options have you found to be to your liking after the past month?

One of the things that has impressed me the most is that, the upgrades to Beryl actually have made it better over time. No breakage on this end at all. Wish I could say that about every package upgrade.
    Biostar TA 770/ X2 7850 BE
    AC Freezer 64 Pro
    OCZ Gold 4x1024
    EVGA 9800GTX
    Coolermaster CM-690
    Coolermaster RPP RS-650
    Win7Pro

Quote Originally Posted by culinist View Post
    It kinda grows on ya huh?

What options have you found to be to your liking after the past month?
    Actually, my comments above were more related to CentOS in general, as this kinda morphed into a general CentOS thread, but...

I do still like the spinning desktop cube as an alternative representation of virtual desktops. Simply more intuitive than the conventional 2D virtual desktop model. I think the most useful feature by far is the Alt-Scroll wheel transparency feature that you mentioned above. Genuinely useful and nothing else really like it I've seen before - thanks for the great tip

I must admit, I haven't been running Beryl 24/7 - maybe about half of the time. I've found it to be fast and stable, other than sometimes when switching window managers to turn it on or off - some slight screen anomalies, but that's a really minor thing. I'm still hugely impressed that most of the features run extremely fast on such lowly old hardware (GF4 MX440 in my case), albeit with a proprietary display driver to get decent 3D acceleration.
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 06-15-2007 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    also reinstalled protectbase, NOW when I run yum update instead of 0 packages excluded, after I went into CentOS Base repo and added protect=1 to all repos listed, it says 386 packages exluded, yippie, oops, still on old kernel have to install nvidia driver on new kernel manually to get on it. BRB. hehe .
    Hey Jackal,

I found a really nice alternative to protectbase called priorities:

http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

Very easy to set up and allows you to assign a priority=N number to each repo - then no repo will update a file from another repo with a "lower" priority.

It basically achieves the same thing as protectbase but is more flexible in that you can also protect or prioritize 3rd party repos against each other.