Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Help with Wired Laptop connection

Here's the problem...I have an HP dv6000 laptop. I Vista and XP on it and under both...Vista AND XP....wired connection does not work. I am able to see my home network but I cant connect to the internet.....Wireless works just fine....i have tried connecting it directly to my modem and it says "Limited or no connectivity" under XP and "unidentified network" under Vista...Any ideas? any help will be greatly appreciated.

PS: my desktop connected to same router works fine.

Re: Help with Wired Laptop connection

Have you tried setting a static IP (and associated DNS) entry instead of using DHCP?

Hey SW...I dnt know that much about computers so i dnt even know how to do that. But as far as I know, my ISP offers Dynamic IP.

If you're connected to a router, which it seems from your 1st post you must be, it doesn't really matter that your ISP is using DHCP. You need to know the IP address of your router as well as the DHCP range (so that you can use an IP outside of this range). If you don't know this information, post the brand and model of your router here and I can tell you what it is. After you have this information, go to Network Connections in the Control Panel, find your wired adapter, right click and pick Properties. Highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button. Enter the previously ascertained information in the boxes provided.

Example:

<click me>

My router is Dlink DI-524

and suppose that im not at home and im using wired connection on campus...will i have to change everything ?

Quote Originally Posted by syedrehankn View Post
    My router is Dlink DI-524

and suppose that im not at home and im using wired connection on campus...will i have to change everything ?
    If it doesn't work in two different locations, connected to two different networks, this experiment will probably fail anyway, but let's take it one step at a time. I believe the 524 follows the same convention as most Dlink routers, so it's IP should be 192.168.0.1 and its DHCP range starts at .100. So, using the example screen shot, use 192.168.0.5 for your IP and 192.168.0.1 for both the gateway and DNS IP. Use the same net mask as in the example.

ok tried that but didn't work. still not connecting.

Do you still see your local network?

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie View Post
    Do you still see your local network?
    Yes I can

Quote Originally Posted by syedrehankn View Post
    Yes I can
    So apparently the network address (192.168.0.0) was correct. The only other thing I can suggest, assuming that this behavior is present on a clean install of Windows (since you say it happens w/ both XP and Vista - and at least one of those should have been a clean install, right?) is making sure that you have the latest drivers for the wired NIC. If, after making sure of this, it still doesn't connect, it sounds as though the adapter could be bad.

Another thought. If your ISP uses MAC addresses to assign IPs, it's likely that simply connecting the laptop to the modem would result in the behavior you describe. Have you tried resetting the modem after connecting it to the laptop? (Before you do this, be sure to set you wired connection back to DHCP in Internet Properties). Also, try another Cat 5e cable.

is it possible for the hardware to be defective even if it shows up under devie manager?

Certainly, but try the simple things first.

Another friend of mine told me that if there was something wrong with controller...it wont even connect to home network but mine does.....i tried connecting it directly to the modem and it said "limited or no connectivity" do i have to restart my modem when i do?> how do i reset it?

Read post # 10 above. Yes, it's likely that you'll have to reset the modem. Do you have cable or DSL (or ?)? If you have cable and do not have cable telephone, you can usually get reset the modem by unplugging it from the power for approximately 30 seconds and then replugging it. If you have a cable telephony modem, it likely has a reset button somewhere around where the network cable connects. Hold it in until all the lights (other than power) go out. Also, as per post #10, try a different cable.

Here's a quick guide that should cover most of your basic issues...
    WARNING: I threw grammar out the window after a few sentences... lol
    I will not be held responsible for any damage that your PC incurs.
    A bonus if anyone can guess what I do at work all day long... lol

Let's start from the beginning.
    You have a router. Any limited to no connectivity errors are strictly between your

Laptop, the network cable and your router.

1. In the back of the router, there should be a small reset PIN HOLE, stick something

thin inside and hold it in for 10 seconds. *WARNING: THIS WILL ERASE ALL YOUR

SETTINGS ON THE ROUTER THAT YOU HAVE PROGRAMMED IN AND WILL SET THE ROUTER TO THE

FACTORY DEFAULTS*

2. Unplug the power off the router for 10 seconds and plug it in again. Now we have a

clean router.

3. Turn on the laptop. If you still get the same error go to step number 4.

4. Verify that the network cable isn't damaged. If you have another cable, try it. If

you don't, try someone else's cable.

5. If you tried a different cable and it still won't work, go to windows XP and do

the following:

Go to Start/Run, then type in CMD. Press enter. At the command prompt, type in

ipconfig and press enter. If you get a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx for an IP address for your

Local Area Connection, go to step 7. If you don't see Local Area Connection (or

whatever your lan connection is called) go to step 6.

6. Go to the control panel, then (if in Category view click on Network and Internet

Connections first) click on Network Connections. Right click on your local area

connection and then press enable. If it's already enabled, skip to step 7.

7. In the command prompt (If you have XP SP2 or Vista), type in "netsh winsock reset"

Press enter and when it prompts you to, restart the PC.
    If you have XP SP1, go to START/RUN, type in regedit, go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2 and delete both entries

(by right clicking the folders and pressing delete. Then restart the PC. When it

comes up, go to the control panel, network connections, right click the local area

connection, press properties. Click on install, protocol,add,press on HAVE DISK, type

in "c:\windows\inf" then press ok, then choose microsoft from the left side and

internet protocol (TCP/IP) on the right side. Restart the PC.

8. If you STILL get a 169, go to the control panel, network connections, right click

the lan, go to properties, double click on internet protocol(tcp/ip), and change it

to use the following IP address. For your address info, you'll have to find it

online. If you have a Dlink, it's usually 192.168.0.100 for your IP, 255.255.255.0

for your subnet mask, 192.168.0.1 for your default gateway and your DNS servers

you'll have to get from your internet company. (Or get some from

http://www.tech-faq.com/public-dns-servers.shtml )

If after all this, you STILL get a 169, then the nic is DEAD. (Or the drivers are

bad...)
    If you get the proper IP address then:

New steps:
    1. ping 192.168.0.100 (or whatever the IP is....) if you get 4 replies, good. If you

get no replies, bad....
    2. ping 127.0.0.1 if you get no replies, we just fixed the winsock, so it shouldn't

happen.
    3. Ping 192.168.0.1 (or whatever the router ip is *also known as the default

gateway.) if it replies, the nic and cable might be good.
    4. ping 65.173.211.241 if you get replies, good. if not, it might be the router....
    5. ping sprint.com (which is what the ip that we typed in last is) if replies, go

surf to your hearts content. If it doesn't, then something is preventing your PC from

resolving Domain names...