Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Help with Wired Laptop connection

3. Ping 192.168.0.1 (or whatever the router ip is *also known as the default

gateway.) if it replies, the nic and cable might be good.
    i get no replies for this

I meant to say that the NIC might be good, but this doesn't mean that the cable is. Do you have another network cable you could try in its place? If you don't, go back and set it back to automatically obtain IP address, then bypass the router, connecting the laptop directly to your modem. First try it with the cable that is currently from the modem to the router. If it works, try it with the other cable (the one from the router to the PC currently.) If it works both ways, we're looking at a bad router. If it doesn't work either way, a bad nic. If it works with one cable but not the other, a bad cable. (this is after doing the winsock fix, which I assume you already did.)

EDIT: Remember, check your ip using IPCONFIG between each step. If you get a 169, it might just be windows being windows... you might have to restart the PC in between steps (both times you plug in the cable) if doing a "ipconfig /release" and a "ipconfig /renew" doesn't fix the problem. If after a restart, it still doesn't work, then you try the next cable and repeat the steps. Finally, then you can rule out the nic, cable or router.
    Last edited by ivanmmj; 05-13-2007 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanmmj
    You have a router. Any limited to no connectivity errors are strictly between your

Laptop, the network cable and your router.
    Actually, he said he gets this error while connected directly to the modem.
    ...i have tried connecting it directly to my modem and it says "Limited or no connectivity" under XP and "unidentified network" under Vista...
    Hence the advice to reset the modem after connecting the laptop directly to it. It's highly unlikely that he would be able to see other machines on his network if the machine in question was afflicted with "limited" connectivity while connected to the router. Also, his router must be working (although it could have a bad port) or his other machines wouldn't be able to reach the Internet. He's also able to use the wireless successively, so the WAN port must be functional. I've mentioned several times that syedrehankn should try a new cable.

Quote Originally Posted by syedrehankn
    i get no replies for this
    If you get no reply from 192.168.0.1, it's very possible that your router is at a different address. Use ipconfig as ivanmmj describes, or alternatively, double click the wired network connection under Network Connections in the Control Panel, pick the Support tab and ping the IP address listed under Default Gateway. If there is no IP listed there, you'll never reach the Internet. If there's no IP listed under Default Gateway, post the IP listed under IP Address here. If there is one, what does it say for DNS server (if using the alternative method, click Details to see this information).

I've asked at least once, and would like it clarified at this point: Is one (or both) of this Windows installations fresh (or not)?

Okay can we see something ?

1. Boot up Windows XP
    2. Hold down the Windows Key
    3. Press the "R" key
    4. In the blank type "cmd"
    5. Hit enter
    6. Once in Command Prompt type: ipconfig

Can you take a screenshot of it and post it here?
    or at least copy what it says?

should look like this
    Last edited by AMDAthlonguy; 05-13-2007 at 10:49 AM.

I have connected it directly to a modem and still couldn't connect to the internet.
    I have tried using 3 different brand new wires.
    SW, both windows installations are fresh.
    AMD Athlonguy, give me about an hour when i get back home and I will clarify if my screen looks like that or not.
    Apparently, if you type in "nVidia nforce networking controller problem" in google search, you will see a lot of people complaining about it and having similar problems. Some people solved their problem by reverting to OLD drivers, some installed AMD processor's drivers some people's problem was fixed by simply installing latest drivers. It seems like its a hardware problem, i am sending it back to HP and should be getting it within 4-5 days will keep you guys posted. In the meantime if you guys do come up with something please let me know.
    I greatly appreciate you guys taking out time to help me out .. Thanks a lot!!

Since you're using an nvidia based networking adapter make sure that you do not have the nvidia firewall (NAM) software installed. You can check for this in add/remove programs. Who is your ISP, specifically, cable or DSL?

Why don't you wait a day or two to send it back so we can troubleshoot it since once you ship it, any suggestions we could have would be purely hypothetical?

ok we'll try to troubleshoot it...i was also going to take my laptop to college to see if it works there. I have a cable internet provider.

http://www.optimumonline.com

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

That nVidia firewall was SUCH a memory hog on my PC... it leaked memory like there was no tomorrow.

Anyhow, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that he had plugged it in to the modem directly already. I wrote that in a rush. But you're right, it's down to the hardware now.

Could his host need a username and password?

Main Box: BioStar TpowerX58 LGA 1366, Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Quad-Core, 3GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 2X250GB WD SATA, VisionTek Radeon 4870, Corsair 620w PS, Asus DRW-1608P3S & DRW-1814BL, Win7 SP1 & LinuxMint 10

Red Hour Video

RedHour Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by ivanmmj View Post
    That nVidia firewall was SUCH a memory hog on my PC... it leaked memory like there was no tomorrow.

Anyhow, I'm sorry, I didn't realize that he had plugged it in to the modem directly already. I wrote that in a rush. But you're right, it's down to the hardware now.
    On many machines, it was much worse than being a memory hog. And, I believe that if he has it installed, it's probably the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by Palandri
    Could his host need a username and password?
    Most cable operators validate by MAC address. Some require that you call to change, but most are handled at the modem where a modem resets suffices. Even the ones that require a call to change can be spoofed by MAC address cloning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie View Post
    ...Most cable operators validate by MAC address. Some require that you call to change, but most are handled at the modem where a modem resets suffices. Even the ones that require a call to change can be spoofed by MAC address cloning....
    Gotcha, I am on DSL. So most cable host reads a MAC address off the modem.

Main Box: BioStar TpowerX58 LGA 1366, Intel i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz Quad-Core, 3GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 2X250GB WD SATA, VisionTek Radeon 4870, Corsair 620w PS, Asus DRW-1608P3S & DRW-1814BL, Win7 SP1 & LinuxMint 10

Red Hour Video

RedHour Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Palandri View Post
    Gotcha, I am on DSL. So most cable host reads a MAC address off the modem.
    The (cable) modem (nearly always) requires a call to support to change. I was referring specifically to the device connected to the modem such as a router, etc.

I, too, use DSL (after using cable for 5+ years as well as still supporting various clients) and from a troubleshooting standpoint (among others) prefer it since substituting a test modem is usually a trivial task requiring no support intervention. The speeds aren't as good as some cable providers, however.

Have you disabled the wireless connection before trying to connect with the wired connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Have you disabled the wireless connection before trying to connect with the wired connection?
    lol ofcourse...when I said i dont know much about computer i meant i know a little bit. LOL!

BTW still waiting on my friend to come back home and try it out on his modem. Will keep you guys posted.

I tried my laptop at my friends house who has same internet company but a different modem and it worked right away!!!

My internet company representative was still too stubborn to admit that their modem is bad and incompatible with some products. He said if it works w/ your other computer it should work with your laptop as well.