DX10 Benchmark Fiasco editorial

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=408

Hey guys, I think you'll be interested in seeing this new editorial I posted this afternoon.

Leave me your comments/thoughts/questions in here!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: DX10 Benchmark Fiasco editorial

dont really care much about these 'exclusive tech demos'. everyone does it. and everyone cheats... err, i mean optimizes their drivers to boost performance. half life 2 was 'optimized' for ati cards. 3dmark 2006 was 'optimized' for ati. but they were not considered a fiasco.

i praise u for going against the flow, once again

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

LOL doesnt this kinda stuff happen every time a new DX version is realeased?
    I think I remember this happening with DX 8 and DX 9

It would seem AMD Graphics group made a small mistake("Juarez") unintentionally and nvidia took offense and intentionally made a mistake with "The Lost Planet".

Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

I don't care if one manufacturer gets a demo 'optimized' for them over the competition... as long as there is transparency. It is the job of the reviewer to find out as much as possible about a piece of hardware or software when presenting their review. A review that just follows the instructions given by the marketing department is not a review, it is a puff-piece... at best. At worst the reviewer KNOWS about the inequity, but does not pass it along in the review. There are many names for sites who do that kind of review, in most cases the common name is 'forgotten'.

I admire Ryan for pointing all of this out, but it would be nice to have this discussion (or at least a link to it) as a caveat early in a review. Not everybody who finds a review on Google or Yahoo will be 'up to speed' on these issues, and if reviews are going to be useful they should include a bit of background with their benchmarks.

If the benchmarks are too messed up to give a good result, then they are not benchmarks.

Makes me wish that Van Smith's Comprehensive Open Source Benchmark Initiative had gotten more traction... best I can tell COSBI withered on the vine back in 2005 'nStuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDAthlonguy View Post
    It would seem AMD Graphics group made a small mistake("Juarez") unintentionally and nvidia took offense and intentionally made a mistake with "The Lost Planet".
    Let me first say that I don't think anyone made a mistake. AMD definitely knew about the issues in "Juarez" as they would not have recommended it to press without seeing results for the competing cards first.

As for NVIDIA, Lost Planet was in development for some time and I think they just rushed the demo release a bit with DX10 to make a show of it, yeah.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    I don't care if one manufacturer gets a demo 'optimized' for them over the competition... as long as there is transparency. It is the job of the reviewer to find out as much as possible about a piece of hardware or software when presenting their review. A review that just follows the instructions given by the marketing department is not a review, it is a puff-piece... at best. At worst the reviewer KNOWS about the inequity, but does not pass it along in the review. There are many names for sites who do that kind of review, in most cases the common name is 'forgotten'.

I admire Ryan for pointing all of this out, but it would be nice to have this discussion (or at least a link to it) as a caveat early in a review. Not everybody who finds a review on Google or Yahoo will be 'up to speed' on these issues, and if reviews are going to be useful they should include a bit of background with their benchmarks.

If the benchmarks are too messed up to give a good result, then they are not benchmarks.

Makes me wish that Van Smith's Comprehensive Open Source Benchmark Initiative had gotten more traction... best I can tell COSBI withered on the vine back in 2005 'nStuff.
    Excellent points! This problem exists in a smaller degree on a per-game basis for all titles currently for sale -- some times driver fixes and patches can make one side perform better than the other. But in THAT case, we are reporting on what the actual use experience is at that time; we can't do any more than that really.

For reviewers like myself, knowing the intricate details of each software application is a DAUNTNG task, but one I try to get as much information on before including it in our testing suite. With GPUs, the "real world" aspect though says "hey, I buy the game off the shelf, plug it in and what do I get?"
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

Excellent article. But this stuff is expected really.

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring Banaaaaana phone

Last edited by a cat : yesterday at 05-11-2004 at 11:09 AM

Ryan that's why i love it when you just buy the game on store and test it out and give us results.Keeps it honest and lets us know why we should or not get it.DX10 in my view will be in a baby stage for a while and any game with dx10 i think will have lots of patches and drivers to get it working right that's a sure thing.
    . GA-EP45 DS3L 2GIG CORSAIR HITACHI 320 EVGA 260 216 896.

Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.

Feeling a load on the server this morning?

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article...7/05/23/201243