Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fedora 7.0 Released

Re: Fedora 7.0 Released

Already been downloading the DVD iso. Will install tomorrow.

Marmo:
    Ci5 760 + Asus P7P55D-E Pro + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB(RAID0)/500GB(Data) HDDs running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 4570 + Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H + 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C10 + MSI GTX660 TwinFrozr + 150GB(System)/1TB(Data) HDDs running Win8 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 500GB(32GB mSATA SSD) HDD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows server):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-15000C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 250GB(System)/2x400GB(RAID1) HDDs running Win2008 R2 Ent x64.

Flame (Linux server):
    C2Q Q9550 + Asus P5K-VM + 2x2GB G.Skill PK-8500C5 + Onboard GMA3100 + 300GB(System)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 5.8 x64.

Raiden (htpc):
    Ci3 2100T + Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H + 2x2GB Corsair XMS3-12800C8 + Intel HD1000 + 250GB HDD running Win7 Pro x64

Ah Fedora - way too fast in my opinion...
    ./

Quote Originally Posted by Carlwill View Post
    Ah Fedora - way too fast in my opinion...
    Mind clarifying that a bit?
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    Mind clarifying that a bit?
    I think he's referring to the constant release/upgrade cycle, rather than the speed of the OS

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    I think he's referring to the constant release/upgrade cycle, rather than the speed of the OS
    I thought it was something to tha effect. I am wondering if it has anything to do with being released too soon for stability/reliability sake? I have enough problems with Linux and don't need to get in over my head with a not ready for prime time release.

I thought it was something to tha effect. I am wondering if it has anything to do with being released too soon for stability/reliability sake? I have enough problems with Linux and don't need to get in over my head with a not ready for prime time release.
    There is an element of that too. Fedora is very much a development product for Red Hat and is deliberately on the cutting edge. There are bound to be bugs due to the nature of the beast.

I run CentOS, a RHEL clone, which is at the opposite end of the spectrum. It provides enterprise class stability at the expense of not having the very latest versions of everything and a 7 year support cycle

I had a quick look at Fedora 7 this afternoon. Everything worked fine out of the box and all of my regular apps(realplayer, skim, xmms mad plugin, etc.) installed correctly.

Adobe reader no longer needs modification to run(a stupid bug found in FC6) and maximize window works properly now in KDE. So far I'm quite happy with the new release.

The product life cycle of Fedora is pretty short, so it isn't suitable for a platform which requires long-term support (ie. server). I only run it as a desktop (don't mind reinstalling every 6-8 months because I can usually set it up to its normal state in less than 3 hours). My choice for the server is CentOS.

Marmo:
    Ci5 760 + Asus P7P55D-E Pro + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB(RAID0)/500GB(Data) HDDs running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 4570 + Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H + 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C10 + MSI GTX660 TwinFrozr + 150GB(System)/1TB(Data) HDDs running Win8 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 500GB(32GB mSATA SSD) HDD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows server):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-15000C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 250GB(System)/2x400GB(RAID1) HDDs running Win2008 R2 Ent x64.

Flame (Linux server):
    C2Q Q9550 + Asus P5K-VM + 2x2GB G.Skill PK-8500C5 + Onboard GMA3100 + 300GB(System)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 5.8 x64.

Raiden (htpc):
    Ci3 2100T + Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H + 2x2GB Corsair XMS3-12800C8 + Intel HD1000 + 250GB HDD running Win7 Pro x64

There is an element of that too. Fedora is very much a development product for Red Hat and is deliberately on the cutting edge. There are bound to be bugs due to the nature of the beast.

I run CentOS, a RHEL clone, which is at the opposite end of the spectrum. It provides enterprise class stability at the expense of not having the very latest versions of everything and a 7 year support cycle
    Unfortunately the hardware I use isn't supported very well by older distros. I can only use the 64bit versions and can't get Hardware Monitors to work on them and temp support is a must for 24/7 folding. The only versions that I have found so far that can do that on my Intel 965 boards is Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.04. Unless Centos has that support it isn't a viable option for me. I had used Fedora 6 on one of my NF3 boards and actually preferred it, but it didn't provide any temp support on the 965 and was hoping that the newer Fedora 7 would.

If Centos can provide the Hardware Monitoring that I require on the 965 boards I am more than willing to give it a shot.

Unfortunately the hardware I use isn't supported very well by older distros. I can only use the 64bit versions and can't get Hardware Monitors to work on them and temp support is a must for 24/7 folding. The only versions that I have found so far that can do that on my Intel 965 boards is Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.04. Unless Centos has that support it isn't a viable option for me. I had used Fedora 6 on one of my NF3 boards and actually preferred it, but it didn't provide any temp support on the 965 and was hoping that the newer Fedora 7 would.

If Centos can provide the Hardware Monitoring that I require on the 965 boards I am more than willing to give it a shot.
    I understand - I'm running SETI 24/7, so getting sensors running is important. At the moment I'm running all older hardware (NF2/Athlon XP), but am going to build a P35/Q6600 rig in the summer. I guess one could always just upgrade to the latest version of lm_sensors if that's what's required for support.

I run CentOS on my servers for obvious reasons. I run it on my desktop now too because I'm too darn lazy to upgrade every 6 months. Heck, I was still running Fedora Core 2 until a couple months ago when I finally got around to upgrading it.

I understand - I'm running SETI 24/7, so getting sensors running is important. At the moment I'm running all older hardware (NF2/Athlon XP), but am going to build a P35/Q6600 rig in the summer. I guess one could always just upgrade to the latest version of lm_sensors if that's what's required for support.
    I tried the latest lm-sensors on Kubuntu 6.06 and Fedora 6 and wasn't able to get Temp support on my Gigabyte P965-S3 board to work nor have any of the other folders that I know of. Unless there's some trick to enabling it that we don't know about.

Re-installing isn't that big of a deal as the only thing I do with Linux is fold. All I need is the basic install, lm_sensors, Firefox, and my folding client and I'm ready to go. Everything else that I do requires Windows and can't be done on Linux or is way too difficult for an average person to accomplish. I simply do not have the time necessary to learn Linux well enough to do more with it. Heck, I can't even get Samba to work right (only works one way, Linux can see out but Windows can't see in).

Well I am downloading this, but I hope I don't install it. It takes about a month for me to get everything setup perfect, ftp, samba, mythtv, etc, and then something will break through-out the product cycle, and then its time to reinstall to get the next release of fedora, because support stops for the previous versions, at least for mythtv it does. Once FC6 support stops I am hoping to switch to debian. I have started, just haven't found time to finish configuring everything.
    Gaming Machine Specs:
    DFI NF4-ultra Modded to SLI, bios: 623-3; Venice 3000+ 8x300=2400Mhz, 1.5v; OCZ PC3200EL Platinum rev. 2, 2.5-4-3-8, 1T, 1:1, 2.7v; LeadTek 6600GT; Seagate SATA 160GB

Server Specs:
    Fedora Core 3: MythTV, DOD, and File Server
    DFI ultra Infinity NFII bios:6-19; 9.5x200 (1900MHz) Mobile XP 2500+; SI-97 w/ 80mm fan; Rosewell 512MB, 2.5-3-3-2-11 1T @ 200MHz , 2.6v; VisionTek Xtasy Ti4600; Hauppauge PVR-250; Hauppaugge PVR-150; Seagate SATA 160GB; Seagate PATA 200GB; Seagate PATA 160GB

Stupid Linux Commands:
    To use chroot in FC3 you must use "su -" from the / directory and not "su" = time spent trying to figure that out 5 hours

Well, I wasted about five hours trying it and all I can say is don't waste your time. Installed it on three different systems with Gnome and KDE and it's completely unusable. Some moron decided to default to a hidden mouse curser so you can't do anything. After about a half hour I figured out how to enable the Control Key Curser option that helps you find where the curser is, but I can't find any way to get the curser to actually display. Without that it's useless. I can't believe that anyone would think that this would be considered correct.

Okay, maybe I'm just too stupid to use Linux. I thought maybe there was a problem with the DVD Iso I previously downloaded so I downloaded the Live CD versions. Noiw I have a new problem in that the Live CD Isos are 800MB and Nero won't burn them to a CD since they are too large or a DVD, wrong format. How the heck do you burn these things to CD's to use? There must be a way as I can't see why they would release them otherwise.

I tried the latest lm-sensors on Kubuntu 6.06 and Fedora 6 and wasn't able to get Temp support on my Gigabyte P965-S3 board to work nor have any of the other folders that I know of. Unless there's some trick to enabling it that we don't know about.

Re-installing isn't that big of a deal as the only thing I do with Linux is fold. All I need is the basic install, lm_sensors, Firefox, and my folding client and I'm ready to go. Everything else that I do requires Windows and can't be done on Linux or is way too difficult for an average person to accomplish. I simply do not have the time necessary to learn Linux well enough to do more with it. Heck, I can't even get Samba to work right (only works one way, Linux can see out but Windows can't see in).

Did you try KsysGuard? Found out it comes with Kubuntu

K menu > System > Performance Monitor