Firefox still more secure than IE?

Been using FF for some time now.. fell in love with tabbed browsing and rarely use IE unless there is a website that FF cannot deal with. But with popularity comes the associated issues... security. I just updated to the latest v2.0.0.4 and hopped over to look at the list of security fixes to date.

Known Vulnerabilities in Mozilla Products

Does everyone still feel FF is more secure than IE?
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Re: Firefox still more secure than IE?

Unfortunately, no browser is ever going to be 100% secure due to the nature of the beast. However, you can go a long way to making any browser more secure by disabling Java/Javascript or using plugins such as no-script. Of course it's absolutely essential to make sure your browser is fully patched to the latest version.

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

It's been a long time since I've considered FF more secure than IE. I use FF mainly too, but the way I see it, it's generally what you do with the browser that defines the risk you're at. I used an un updated version of IE for a very long time and the browser itself was never the cause of compromised security. But that's just my experience.

Heh, reasons I don't use IE:

1)How tied into Windows Explorer it is
    2)Active-X

Also, the layout of IE7 kills me... as does it's "your settings are at risk. click here to fix" that happens after every update. To me, I don't find it worth the hassle to use. Especially since with Firefox I have Adblock plus as well as the developer toolbar (the one for IE is not so great in comparison).

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post
    Heh, reasons I don't use IE:
    3) Microsoft are yet to release a version for Linux

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    It's been a long time since I've considered FF more secure than IE. I use FF mainly too, but the way I see it, it's generally what you do with the browser that defines the risk you're at. I used an un updated version of IE for a very long time and the browser itself was never the cause of compromised security. But that's just my experience.
    Agree....
    Ive got the IE 7 deal but Im just so used to FF that most of the time I use it.
    Agree its more about where you browse and how careful you are as much as the flaws.

I used an un updated version of IE for a very long time and the browser itself was never the cause of compromised security. But that's just my experience.
    IE has more potential for compromise as its part of the OS, which gives it abilities that other browsers don't have. ( So, far it has never fully been exploited.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post
    1)How tied into Windows Explorer it is
    So what? The reason I use IE is because I don't want two or more browsers on my Program Files (let alone in (x86) directory)!!

I am using IE7, I am starting to think about going back to IE6. I still click for another browser window instead of using those "tabs" (and top of that, even clicking on the links still brings up another browser window instead using those tabs, duh duh duh!). I haven't installed the Vista yet, so I don't know which IE is in there (if IE7, would it even be possible to install IE6 over IE7, since many won't allow older version software over newer ones).

If the security is an issue, seriously get the KIS (it's real good, really, I had it for some time before, but now am KAV).

I did stop using the Adobe Reader and now using the Foxit Reader. Also, I still enable the Java junk!

Chuck

Well, since I don't really hang out in 'Program Files', having an extra folder for Firefox doesn't bother me.

Vista comes with IE7. CNT, I don't know how you surf to get the issues you do with tabs/not tabs, but I have never had those issues also.

Anyhow, with me, the bottom line is that IE7 has not done anything to get me to use it over Firefox or Opera.

Quote Originally Posted by CNT View Post
    So what? The reason I use IE is because I don't want two or more browsers on my Program Files (let alone in (x86) directory)!!
    I am using IE7, I am starting to think about going back to IE6. I still click for another browser window instead of using those "tabs" (and top of that, even clicking on the links still brings up another browser window instead using those tabs, duh duh duh!).

it usual fix any patch if there any leak, etc.. just update when it release, I used Firefox for long time and remember Cookie still struck in IE7 as it dont delete by automatic - you have to delete by yourself, FF has delete cookie when you exit it. Mozilla still working for next Fx 3.0 due this year, I used AdBlock Plus, NoScript and others in my FF add-on also I keep clean cookie, etc.. by press CTRL+Shift and Del... only I used Fx2 and IE7-64bits (Vista 64bits) that still ok to use but just keep watch the address bar for fake site.