Post Kola "a nuclear bomb"

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...cle1814646.ece

Research now indicates that the enormous tanks holding discarded submarine fuel rods in the Andreeva Bay may explode at any time, creating a nuclear nightmare for Northern Europe.
    Spoiler!

Any thoughts?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Re: Kola "a nuclear bomb"

Wow! I really don't know what they're going to be able to do about this mess. Maybe encase them all with a tremendous amount of concrete? I have no idea. It seems to me that they can't even move these as it would definitely set them off.

so why dont they just fricking separate them. and if the use cement again use some sort of sealant. we live in a world of plastic ...use it.

As I understand? This goes back years from a friend who used to transport this stuff...cement is the way they get rid of "hot water".
    Somehow they got the water into the right size tanks and simply added cement mix to make it transportable.
    Id rather not get into what they did with the concrete after it hardened.
    But I think about it everytime that stupid Frankenfish movie is on Scifi.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 06-01-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Give it to France, they can recycle it. Problem solved.
    Nuke em'.

Actually, that's not a bad idea, if Russia will contract out to them. I thought France was the leading nation in terms of nuclear reactor use.

Salt water
    Nikitin and Igor Kudrik translate from the reports and explain. The large tanks, each containing 21,000 rods, are near the sea. Salt water has entered the tanks and lead to the rapid disintegration of the metal pipes. The salt water has then entered the pipes, breaking down the rods, releasing small uranium particles that fall to the bottom of the metal pipes.
    Oh, oh. Salt water will eat that away in no time and then....Oh boy.

This is a serious mess but at least it isn't as bad as what the Soviets did in the past with the spent fuel rods. They set them on ice floes and let them drift out to sea.

It will never explode. Not enough pressure or temperature. just hype. Now contamination of water in the area that is a possibility.
    "The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church"[Ferdinand Magellan]
    "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." [Albert Einstein]
    "With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[Physicist and Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg]

You know that stuff has been excavated already a few times by corrupt officials.