Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: D-Link DGL4300 108Mbps GamerLounge Wireless $79.99 free ship.

^^^ Eh, like any other hardware... one man's gold is another's junk. I'm glad o hear yours is working well. One of the reasons I got the D-Link was due to the plethora of configuration options, speed and lastly great price on the deal. Hopefully the Linksys WRT350N I picked up at substantially more cost will do the trick for me. I will not be able to experiment for some time though as my wife is in the middle of a project for work and I cannot afford the possibility of downtime without fear of castration.. For now the Smoothewall that has served us well for years now is going to continue to be our firewall.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

AMD, you might want to look at routers that can use that customized DD-WRT firmware such as the BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 or LINKSYS WRT54GL. Both have large numbers of high owner ratings. I have no experience with it but that DD-WRT is supposed to be very good at turning routers that can use it into solid routers with very reliable/stable wireless connections.

I seem to have good luck with routers. Even routers that people complain about alot and give low ratings seem to work just fine for me. For example, I bought this BELKIN F5D7230-4 at Wal-Mart as soon as I realized my D-Link DI-624 was dead. Bad user reviews at newegg but it worked just fine for me. I'm guessing that some routers have difficulty working in environments in which there are a lot of wireless networks around. I live in a rural area so I'm the only wireless network around.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Thx for the advise Lenny. Overall I've had pretty good luck with routers also. Owned and installed everything from Buffalo to Sonicwall and just about every flavor in between. This is the first one in years that I've had to return simply because it refused to function for any length of time with stability. Usually it's a specific function or two (like loopback or VPN)that made me return the device. I've always had pretty good luck with linksys.. hopefully this one works out.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Besides the Belkin (which I'm returning) I've owned nothing but D-Link routers. Trying to remember all the models - DI-704P, DI-614, DI-624 I think and now the DGL-4300. I've never been crazy for super fast models because it's fairly rare that I need that kind of speed between wireless PCs on my LAN. Mostly its just internet usage for which even 802.11b is just fine. I've also had good luck with Zonet switches. I have 8 and 16 port 10/100 Zonet switches in my network and they have been solid performers. Never tried their routers though.

I did have one Linksys 5 port switch. I don't remember the model number but it's a very common model. That always had problems with port negotation with my routers and switches so it spends most of its time in a box.

Now that I have the 4300 with Gigabit ports I'm thinking about my long range plans to upgrade my network to gigabit. No real reason to do it but it's fun to think about

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

^^^ I wired my home with CAT6e some time ago. Not that I really need it. And our wireless usage is about the same. 802.11b bandwidth would have been fine if it had the range.

-The Gipper

Wow this is a really nice router. There are lots of nice features in the settings. Very good logging. You can setup schedules and apply them to access control policies to log or block internet access to specific computers at specific times - like disable net access to the kids computers overnight for example. You can the logs emailed to you when the log fills or on a specific schedule - maybe other routers have that but I've never noticed. Overall I'm impressed.

Had my first problem. I enabled web site logging on one of my computers. When that computer was active I lost wireless AND wired net access to all computers behind the router for a full 5 minutes. The router seemed to get disabled for that 5 minutes before coming back online. It wasn't a fluke because it happened 3 times within the span of couple hours. So I disabled web site logging and no crashes since then. I guess that feature isn't quite stable. Otherwise its been smooth sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Had my first problem. I enabled web site logging on one of my computers. When that computer was active I lost wireless AND wired net access to all computers behind the router for a full 5 minutes. The router seemed to get disabled for that 5 minutes before coming back online. It wasn't a fluke because it happened 3 times within the span of couple hours. So I disabled web site logging and no crashes since then. I guess that feature isn't quite stable. Otherwise its been smooth sailing.
    Lenny, since you've had a couple of Dlink routers before this one I'll ask. Does the DGL-4300 run hotter than your old Dlink routers? I'm curious to know if it's just the faster processor in this router making it run so hot or if this is normal for Dlinks. I can only compare it to my old Linksys WRT54GS router, which ran quite a bit cooler. The heat doesn't seem to affect it's stability at all but I hate to see hot running electronic stuff.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Lenny, since you've had a couple of Dlink routers before this one I'll ask. Does the DGL-4300 run hotter than your old Dlink routers? I'm curious to know if it's just the faster processor in this router making it run so hot or if this is normal for Dlinks. I can only compare it to my old Linksys WRT54GS router, which ran quite a bit cooler. The heat doesn't seem to affect it's stability at all but I hate to see hot running electronic stuff.
    I'm not really sure. I never checked the heat of my prior routers because of the location of my router. I have my router close to the ceiling in my basements which effectively puts it just below the floor of main floor of the house. I found this to be the most central location in my house which gives the best wireless coverage.

I found something else that doesn't work with the latest 1.8 firmware. I created a schedule called 'overnight' defined as every day 10pm to 6:30am. I then set up an access control to block all net access to one on my computers on that schedule. Well net access got blocked beginning 10pm but this morning at 9am it's still being blocked. I checked and the router's time is correct so I don't know why it didn't enabled net access after 6:30am as defined in the schedule.

Here is a pic of my network gear in a closet in the basement. The router is in the upper left of the pic and it's the old DI-624. Since that pic I also move the cable modem onto the shelf as well. I guess I need to take an updated picture.

Bump for a great deal that is still alive (link in first post).

I checked the heat and this router does seem to run warm but no way to tell if that will affect it's lifespan or not.

I decided to clean up my network "shelf" - I don't have a full network closet lol. So I thought I would share with you guys.

I tried putting the 4300 on the shelf with the cable modem but that dropped the signal strength to a computer in an upstairs bedroom by 10-15%. I wouldn't care but the signal strength is already low to that computer.

So I decided to move it back up onto the 2x4 near the ceiling. This location seems best for me. Since it's just about at ground level the signal strength outside is also very good (not blocked by the cement basement walls). I also cleaned up the wires a bit. Let me know what you think

Eventually when prices come down more I'm going to replace that Zonet 16 port 10/100 switch with a gigabit switch.

Bump for a great deal on a nice router. Fry's runs some long sales !!

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    I had ordered that deal from Outpost.com a few weeks back. There was also a $25 rebate for the PCI and notebook adapters. I have to say I was nonplussed with the router. I flashed the latest firmware and went to work setting up MAC only access and such. It connected to the interwebby fine but I had a few intolerable issues.

It started to continually reboot. And I mean so fast that I could not even log onto the UI for over an hour. Turning the router off and/or hitting the hard reset button had no effect. Their support site claimed it might be due to having UpnP enabled with Windows XP. Well great... so what use is the UPnP function of the router then? At one point it stopped rebooting long enough for me to disabled UPnP. It then worked for a few hours.

While it was up the wireless range/speed was less than stellar, even in the same room with the router less than 10 ft from the notebook equipped with the matching d-link adapter configured for "optimum" performance per their instructions. I tried several less secure configurations with 0 improvement.

I figured our house is not that big and I was going to let it's wireless performance pass for the moment. I hooked up our Netgear print server.. boom... the d-link continued it's previous rebooting habit. This time I could not get the router to recover at all.

I figured I might have a bogus unit. Made a quick run to Frys and got another. It lasted about 45 minutes and started to reboot continually much like the first. I gave up and returned both and bought a Linksys which is currently sitting in it's box waiting to be configured.

It would have been a slamming deal had I been able to get it to work reliably.
    Wait, so you flashed the firmware and blame the router for the problem? That's like someone flashing a BIOS on a motherboard, have it crap out and then blame the motherboard for the problem.

Age old rule with computers: If it's not broke, don't fix it. You broke it so you have to accept that and DO NOT blame the router for that at all.

I have had a DGL-4300 since December of last year. I have never had any problems with it at all. I'm using the 1.7 firmware and see no need to upgrade to the 1.8 firmware at all. I have a Dell D600 with a 2200BG wireless card inside and have never had any issues using wireless on it.

I highly recommend the DGL-4300 and if you get one and it works...DO NOT flash the firmware.

The router is DESIGNED to have the firmware flashed. When D-Link (or any router manufacturer) releases a new firmware the assumption is that it fixes some existing issues and doesn't create new problems but unfortunately that isn't always the case. I flashed to 1.8 and didn't have any problems. When it comes to routers (if you read a lot of the user reviews) you will see that there are always a certain number of people who have strange problems even when running the same firmware as others.

Take for example a cheap Belkin 54g router I owned for a few weeks. Terrible reviews on newegg but it worked perfectly for me. Go figure.

But anyway I would never blame someone for flashing firmware. That's why the new firmware are released - so it can be used.

The router is DESIGNED to have the firmware flashed. When D-Link (or any router manufacturer) releases a new firmware the assumption is that it fixes some existing issues and doesn't create new problems but unfortunately that isn't always the case. I flashed to 1.8 and didn't have any problems. When it comes to routers (if you read a lot of the user reviews) you will see that there are always a certain number of people who have strange problems even when running the same firmware as others.
    Firmware and BIOS updates both list fixes with those updates. The 1.8 offered nothing for me so why would I use it?

http://support.dlink.com/products/vi...tid=DGL%2D4300

Supposedly fixes Intel Centrino issues, but my Dell D600 Centrino works fine. Nintendo Wii? I don't own any console. Fixed SBC rate estimation? No idea what it's talking about, SBC DSL? I have Embarq anyway. UPnP and password fixes? Neither are a concern to me.

So because I have no reason to "fix" any of those then there's no reason to update my firmware. I never just update because it's out there. The same goes for motherboard BIOS updates. I made the mistake on my old A8R-MVP and killed it. It was working fine before the flash.

Don't fix it if it's not broken.

Take for example a cheap Belkin 54g router I owned for a few weeks. Terrible reviews on newegg but it worked perfectly for me. Go figure.

But anyway I would never blame someone for flashing firmware. That's why the new firmware are released - so it can be used.
    The firmware failure could have been many factors. It could have been his web browser. He could have reset in the middle of the upgrade. You name it. I don't blame the router because it probably worked fine before he flashed it.

If you take a perfectly working car and start swapping parts out of it and it no longer works afterwards who is at fault? The car? The manufacturer?

The terms "user error" and "PEBKAC" didn't come out of nowhere.

I've flashed motherboards and routers dozens of times without incident. I've flashed the DGL-4300 twice since I've had it. I did kill an ECS board once, but let's face it, it was an ECS mobo, no loss at all there as it was already giving me tons of problems. I've even flashed new firmware to my home DVD player, as well as my DVD burner, many times without ever having a problem, and a lot of times those were "hacked" versions that added extra features they never had before.

To say someone is to blame for flashing their firmware is crazy. Believe me, if manufacturers knew their firmware updates would kill their hardware, they wouldn't even allow anyone to download them, they'd make people ship back their hardware to them so they themselves could update it.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19