Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: "Dictatorship of Idiots" triumphs over experience

Maybe we should have a Mythbusters for the media..

More availability means more mediocrity. Without mediocrity there would not be a low or a high. Mediocrity is just more easily available than expertise, which is rather natural because experts do tend to be expensive where mediocrity is within anyones grasp.
    On the other hand, it would seem that because of more availability people would be less easily fooled. But nothing could be further from the truth
    Whisper Performance setup:
    Asus Maximus Formula (X38)
    Asus Geforce EN8800GT
    Intel Q6600 3720 Mhz 1.45v.
    2x 74Gb WD Raptors RAID-0
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Eheim 1048 // Apogee GT // Black Ice GT Stealth 240 XFlow
    TT Mozart Tx

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Wait. I see your edit.

So what I read at Tom's Hardware I should believe? Simply by virtue of his "credentials" [site value]?

Somehow this reminds me of the old Arnold Toynbee[great historian] discussion: But you dont have a PhD?
    To which Toynbee replied: "And who will give me a test?"
    Jim, being skeptical is nice, and getting a second or third opinion on things is encouraged, but you can't be skeptical to the point where you trust nobody. I have never personally verified the laws of thermodynamics, but a consensus of thousands of scientists over the years have, therefore, I trust their expertise. If a few bloggers came out tomorrow and said it was false, I would dismiss that as hogwash.

Say you're shopping for a new video card; it's not feasible to buy every single video card on the market and see for yourself which one you like best. That's what review sites are for (just as it's what Britannica or Encarta are for), consulting the opinion of a professional on a certain topic.

I am not advocating blindly following one site, such as buying everything Tom's recommends-- I am advocating people drawing a consensus from multiple sources (as in, Tom's Hardware as well as PCPer, etc, and many smaller sites, and even user-contributed reviews and forum topics), and-- ready for this, weighting the opinions of professionals much more heavily than that of amateurs. Why should the opinions of amateurs hold more weight than that of professionals? Amateurs don't know as much about a subject and may not uncover more buried details, may not realize things that a knowledgeable professional would. This applies to anything, not just hardware, I am just speaking from the perspective of hardware reviews because I am familiar with the field.

And by the way I dont particularly care for benchmarks.. hardware reviews bore me but i read them enough to keep up to date .... articles didnt bring me to this site my DFI lanparty b did. TLR keeps me coming back.
    Unless you bought your Lanparty B by complete random chance, someone's opinion probably helped to convince you to buy that board (which is immensely popular...I have one still going, great board ). Every time I make a purchase that's more important than grabbing something off the shelf at Wal-Mart, I'll be looking for some sort of fact or conclusion drawn on that product.

If you're not reading anything at all before making major hardware purchases (even if it's, God forbid, only Newegg reviews), then I wonder exactly how you're picking your parts...

On a side note, I was brought to this site by a hardware review. It was so long ago, I don't even remember what it was for, but I believe it was for a motherboard.
    Last edited by JungleMan; 06-03-2007 at 04:03 PM.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf2000me View Post
    More availability means more mediocrity. Without mediocrity there would not be a low or a high. Mediocrity is just more easily available than expertise, which is rather natural because experts do tend to be expensive where mediocrity is within anyones grasp.
    On the other hand, it would seem that because of more availability people would be less easily fooled. But nothing could be further from the truth
    I think experts are just as prone to mediocrity as anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    Of course, with only exception the field of which they are considered experts. If no one would be an expert in any given field we'd all be experts in all given fields. Talk about a contradiction eh ^^
    Whisper Performance setup:
    Asus Maximus Formula (X38)
    Asus Geforce EN8800GT
    Intel Q6600 3720 Mhz 1.45v.
    2x 74Gb WD Raptors RAID-0
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Eheim 1048 // Apogee GT // Black Ice GT Stealth 240 XFlow
    TT Mozart Tx

The reason I bought the lanparty b is I had an unlocked 2400 thoroughbred and an ecs mobo without SATA. I liked the colors and the features... "4 sata ports omfg " and bought it the day it was released on the egg without reading a single review on it. I had seen the review of the kt400 lanparty and one of the lanparty nforce .... I was happily surprised to have the sweetest nforce 2 board ever. I really didnt have a clue what was doing. I lucked out.. But yeah I do read reviews when im about to purchase but I disregard most of the info.

At the same time i dont look at most of the review sites the way i look at msm ... I can pm Ryan.

Not to mention theres a huge difference in a product review and "whats happening around the world"
    Last edited by PaternityTest; 06-03-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Amateurs are far more prone to mediocrity because they do not have a vested interest in the topics in which they cover.

I hate to keep using Ryan and PCPer as an example, but this site is his full-time job. If Ryan consistently writes with mediocrity (which he doesn't ), it could result in the demise of his website. If Joe Average writes with mediocrity on some online store's review page, it means essentially nothing, as he is going to take about 5 minutes writing a paragraph about how he plugged in Video Card X into Computer Y, and his computer booted up and played games better than his TNT2, therefore it's a 5-star product. After that he will forget it and go on with his life. If people don't like it or don't find it thorough enough, it means essentially nothing to him.

This is the same as some topics on Wikipedia mean to me. I'm a semi-active user and I'll occasionally throw in an edit or a paragraph if I see some wrong or missing info (usually music and movies stuff), but after that, I forget about it and go on with my life. I try to get the right information and everything, but if I screw up or don't write thoroughly on Wikipedia, it means nothing to me.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

Ok let me make a note of that: Experts can never be mediocre.

In the business world mediocrity often leads to failure and bankruptcy.

In the intellectual world mediocrity leads to peer praise.

It seems the author uses Wikipedia as the prime example... a site us arguing idiots in TLR have already tagged as a half-assed source. It isn't rocket science.

Before the web, we could go into a library and choose our books. The success came from the choices we made, not from the collection we chose from. The same goes with the web.

I'm with ya tucker, sensing a bit of ivory tower mentality in the piece... only the intelligencia should be profering up information to the stupid masses...

In the intellectual world mediocrity leads to peer praise.
    How so? Upon what do you base that assertion? What is the "intellectual world" anyway?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    It seems the author uses Wikipedia as the prime example... a site us arguing idiots in TLR have already tagged as a half-assed source. It isn't rocket science.

Before the web, we could go into a library and choose our books. The success came from the choices we made, not from the collection we chose from. The same goes with the web.

I'm with ya tucker, sensing a bit of ivory tower mentality in the piece... only the intelligencia should be profering up information to the stupid masses...
    That is the point I was trying to make. I by no means trust Wiki but on the other hand I have equal distrust for web sites like Citizendium.

I trust all of the political experts like I trust pedophiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    How so? Upon what do you base that assertion? What is the "intellectual world" anyway?
    I am simply saying I don’t trust all intellectuals. Do you?

In my opinion the intellectual world is the place where you and your peers live. Perhaps you could explain that world better than I can.

Vested interest... Isn't that called an agenda.

I am simply saying I don’t trust all intellectuals. Do you?
    No, but what does that mean? Do you trust all anybody? Any group? I trust that people trained in a field know that field but that doesn't mean I trust them to know another field. Just as I expect a car mechanic to be able to work on my car I expect an astronomer to be able to work on astronomy, but not geology.

In my opinion the intellectual world is the place where you and your peers live. Perhaps you could explain that world better than I can.
    "My world" is very much alike to that of the general populace, especially my agemates. It differs in some ways but in others it's very much similar to "regular Joe". To use a metaphor like earlier, car mechanics will argue about the best fluids and best tools just as astronomers will argue about the best formulas and best telescopes. The world of the Academy, which is a portion but not the entirety of what I assume is the "intellectual world", includes numerous mechanisms to guarantee the best and most accurate results possible. Peer review is one of these mechanisms, in which fellow members of the field tear apart any work sent out to publication. The referees of the good journals prevent bad work from being published as "factual" or "true". They're sort of like forum moderators, but they look over each post before they allow it to be seen.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

^^^ The world outside of academia only see what's thrown at us and that rarely gives confidence. A case in point is Ward Churchill... we don't see his peers giving him a fair review, but instead see a Sandy Burglaresque pass.

Additionally, many of us await this "tearing apart" of the phony bulldung put out regarding man-made global warming, but it all seems to get a pass. In the meantime, Mars and Venus show signs of warming, but no signs of SUV's.