Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: This angers me about activating Vista Ultimate with hardware changes...

The vast majority of users never see Activation. Almost all prebuilt comps like Dell or HP come preactivated. Even better, they don't need to be reactivated with hardware changes. The only time they'll see it is if they stick their HD on another machine. So even though Activation exists, the vast majority of users are hardly even aware it exists.

The reason things like WGA and Activation exist is not to stop the hardcore pirates, it's to stop the casual pirate. It's there to stop the guy from buying 1 copy and loading it onto all his comps and then handing it out to friends so they can have it too. It's there to stop the small biz guy from buying 1 and loading on all 30 of his machines. MS will never be able to stop the hardcore pirates, and I have doubts that they're really even trying very hard. Way back when the VL version of WinXP first became widespread, it took them like 2 years to lock out the CD key for it. Then another couple of years to come up with WGA. I mean come on.... they created Vista from scratch in a year, and it took them 2 years to create WGA? They're not tryin'.
    Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    .... they created Vista from scratch in a year,
    It took much longer than a year to create Vista, if I am not mistaken it has been a work in progress from 2001-2002 it had about 18 months of Beta and I wouldn't consider the early beta stages a ready to go OS. In fact you could argue it's not ready now. But, I think that is more of other vendors not having patches and drivers. The OS seems quite stable both 32 and 64

Well, well. It's about time. They're asking me to re-activate again. Time to call India again...

Wink Re: This angers me about activating Vista Ultimate with hardware changes...

Hey there,

The day MS makes a stable OS that does give Error messages like "Free
    Handouts", is the day I starting stomaching the reactivation. I mean,
    how many of us have to do a re-install just because the OS is flaky cr@p.

-V/R

Slade

Take time to do the important things
    today since you may not get a
    tomorrow.

Anytime you give your $0.02 you better have a qtr
    to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by castron72 View Post
    It took much longer than a year to create Vista, if I am not mistaken it has been a work in progress from 2001-2002 it had about 18 months of Beta and I wouldn't consider the early beta stages a ready to go OS. In fact you could argue it's not ready now. But, I think that is more of other vendors not having patches and drivers. The OS seems quite stable both 32 and 64
    No, it took a year. They dumped everything they developed for Longhorn up to mid-late 2004 and started all over again.
    Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Interesting... I just noticed on the activation window that there's an option for SMS. Unfortunately it's not available for U.S. activations. I'd rather send a text message than wait on the phone for the next outsourced rep to be available.

I mean,
    how many of us have to do a re-install just because the OS is flaky cr@p.
    I would say a very very small percentage. My guess is its your computer not the OS. I have Vista on 6 different computers and have never had a problem.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Just wait untill they release corporate version without a need of activation, download it, install and enjoy

Never gonna give a penny to M$. They allways sell an undeveloped product, releasing updates based on end-users error reporting, thus making us work for them. I think they should pay us, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by PSAHX View Post
    Just wait untill they release corporate version without a need of activation, download it, install and enjoy
    or get an academic version from a university bookstore if you have a relative or friend in college....or, offer to buy some booze for some undergrad. I got two disks of XP Pro for $20 each (and the Office suite for the same price ). And the best part was the activation code for both disks was the same. I've never needed to reactivate when upgrading.

Now, if the local college would just get copies of Vista in. Sales peeps say they're waiting for a service pack or two and some of the glitches to work themselves out before they'll start carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    I wonder when I go quad core in July if it will ask me to activate again. More than likely... I think upgrading your memory or simple things like that shouldn't be included in a new activation, but like mentioned it seems like a rent not own thing anymore.
    I have Retail Ultimate and it never hiccupped when I went to a Quad from coreduo.

Quote Originally Posted by No Limit View Post
    Interesting... I just noticed on the activation window that there's an option for SMS. Unfortunately it's not available for U.S. activations. I'd rather send a text message than wait on the phone for the next outsourced rep to be available.
    Ever tried using a speakerphone? I haven't ever reactivated Vista, but a gazillion times I've dome XP and using a decent speakerphone works great to input the codes and for hands free waiting. Also easier for typing in new codes!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    I have Retail Ultimate and it never hiccupped when I went to a Quad from coreduo.

Ever tried using a speakerphone? I haven't ever reactivated Vista, but a gazillion times I've dome XP and using a decent speakerphone works great to input the codes and for hands free waiting. Also easier for typing in new codes!
    Kinda forgot about the speakerphone on my cellphone (I call during offpeak hours so no minutes are used). Anyway I usually only use that when I'm driving since I don't want others to hear my conversations.

Anyway, about the academic versions. I do have an academic version of Vista Business installed on my laptop, but it never complained about activating when I was adding additional ram. I don't think they have the Ultimate version available for download.

I agree. I think vista is overpriced solely due to these anti-features. I wouldn't mind paying for a copy that had the features I want and none of the flaws. of course my solution has been to simply not buy vista nor use it.
    I know exactly how the PC works. I understand the OOO, superscalar and superpiplined designs. I just don't understand how the PC doesn't work as shown in so many cases.