Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Clone Hard Drive Software?

maybe you need to do a "drive to drive" copy instead of a "partition to partition copy"? I know sometimes my Ghost copies don't boot unless I do a drive copy.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

I answered your PM, jchengatmann
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Here is a watertight and bomb proof way to clone a Vista, or any PC system for that matter.

It is free and satisfaction guaranteed. I migrate hard disks from 200Gb to 300Gb, then 400Gb and then 500Gb something with 63 partitions with a bootable OS in every one. Never miss a beat. Vista is just one of the 150+ systems in my box.

I used to be a Ghost user too before I ran into Linux.

I actually got it to work using seagate's discwizard (from seagate.com). it's just a seagate re-badged acronis trueimage 10.. but it worked. the above link (saikee's) looks promising. Anyone else use Linux/Gparted/Parted Magic before? just wondering.. thanks guys.

The ability of Gparted (Parted Magic is developed by an ex-mauntainer of Gparted and using the same gparted engine) to resize ntfs partitions is quite recent.

The cloning is actually done by the dd command in Linux. dd works at a hardware level of replicating the binary pattern of either "1" or "0" of a hard disk. Therefore even before Linux can write reliably on ntfs partition dd has long been able to clone XP.

dd is a basic terminal command in Linux and is available in every distro. Gparted and Parted Magic has a terminal mode and so dd is there too.

If you do not have a need to resize the partition one line of dd command is all it takes. Literally to dump the data (dd=data dump) from an input device to an output devive like
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda of/dev/sdb bs=32768

Hey Bob, with HDCLone, did you have to first format your new raptor, or did the program do that for you? And was yours a disk-to-disk clone? I assume so. 4 hours? Wow, that's a long time. I've used Drive Image 2002 since 2003 and it rarely takes much more than an hour for disk-to-disk backups, depending on which sata controller I'm on.

Also, I find it interesting that I'm looking at getting a 150 raptor for my vista system. I've used 74g raptors on quite a few XP installs and always end up with about maybe a max of 40 gigs used, but I'm already up to 50gigs on my vista install, and that's with fewer programs installed. I even moved my pagefile to a different drive now that I have 4gigs of ram to make some room. I guess Vista is just a bigger OS and/or some of the programs I have on there are bigger. But I still love Vista.

BTW, I discovered that Vista restore takes up a helluva lot of space on the OS drive, and you have to go into disk cleanup > advanced to get rid of older restore points. You can get back up to 5 or 6 gigs of space. It's weird.

marty
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by alex666 View Post
    Hey Bob, with HDCLone, did you have to first format your new raptor, or did the program do that for you? And was yours a disk-to-disk clone? I assume so. 4 hours? Wow, that's a long time. I've used Drive Image 2002 since 2003 and it rarely takes much more than an hour for disk-to-disk backups, depending on which sata controller I'm on.

Also, I find it interesting that I'm looking at getting a 150 raptor for my vista system. I've used 74g raptors on quite a few XP installs and always end up with about maybe a max of 40 gigs used, but I'm already up to 50gigs on my vista install, and that's with fewer programs installed. I even moved my pagefile to a different drive now that I have 4gigs of ram to make some room. I guess Vista is just a bigger OS and/or some of the programs I have on there are bigger. But I still love Vista.

BTW, I discovered that Vista restore takes up a helluva lot of space on the OS drive, and you have to go into disk cleanup > advanced to get rid of older restore points. You can get back up to 5 or 6 gigs of space. It's weird.

marty
    All i did is FDISK it, nothing else.

I have always turned off restore, even in XP. Saves CPU clocks ans well as disk space.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by ArcoITGuy View Post
    Hi All,

You can easily clone a Hard drive using ***

This program works on 2000/XP/Vista, 32-bit and 64-bit.
    You can also expand and move partitions.

I have used **** and it works great. **** has only 4 options
    to copy, move partitons, expand partitions, and convert partitions to NTFS.
    i believe this program is easy and will work better than the others.
    You believe, or do you work for them (Copyright (c) ******. All rights reserved. ) I got to tell ya, your name is a giveaway. I don't mind you telling us you work for a good company and they have a good product, but don't try to pee on me and tell me it's raining....
    Last edited by CMB; 01-19-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Spoiler!