Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 LastLast

Re: Palestinian |Hamas | Fatah | Gaza |West Bank |

Obama's Israel comments may come back to bite him in the butt when election fundraising time comes around.

My local conservative radio host, Mark Belling, filled in as guest host on the Rush Limbaugh show on Monday. I normally don't listen to Rush, but I did because it was my guy. During the show, Belling talked about Obama's comments about Israel and pondered how a Democratic president could spit in the face of Israel when so many American Jews are Democrats. He then pondered why American Jews continue to support the Democrats when they have been leaning further and further anti-Israel recently.

Later in the show, some guy called up from somewhere and said that he has Jewish friends and they were offended and flabbergasted when Obama blasted Israel and said they should go back to their pre-1967 borders the day before Prime Minister Netanyahu arrived in the United States.

Granted, it was a caller to the Rush Limbaugh show, so judge its accuracy. But, it sounds like some Jewish people were offended by Obama sandbagging Israel and old Barry might find his warchest thinning out when he goes around asking for donations from some big Jewish fundraisers.

Plus, think of how much of the vote in swing states like Florida is Jewish Americans.

Policy aside, Obama may have hurt his own reelection efforts by pissing on Israel like that.

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    [yt snipped]

Yeah, he's right.

The Muslims won't be happy until Israel returns to its pre-1948 borders.

I don't know if Obama wants to host the 9,000,000th peace summit between Israel and Palestine and get credit for it like the Old Peanut Farmer Jimmy Carter, or if he's just naive.

The grievance theater now has a sound track...

In related news.. the Bamma administration "accidently" put Israel on terror list. Apologizes.

Oops!… Obama Administration Apologizes For Putting Israel on Terror Watch List

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

I can only hope Netanyahu responds in the same fashion he did when The Won suggested a divided Jerusalem. Sumtin like this "Cankles.. go tell your boss to go eff himself".

Obama to Israel: Apologize to Turkey, or else

Israel's largest daily newspaper, Yediot Ahronot, reported on Wednesday that the Obama Administration is threatening Israel to either apologize to Turkey over its bloody interception of a Gaza aid flotilla last year, or risk strained ties with Washington.

Israeli diplomats in Washington told the newspaper that they had received a communique from US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton insisting that the rift between Israel and Turkey was harming American interests in the region, such as affecting regime change in neighboring Syria.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan demands that Israel publicly apologize for intercepting a May 2010 "humanitarian aid" flotilla that tried to break Israel's maritime blockade of the Gaza Strip. The flotilla had set sail from Turkey, and nine Turkish nationals were killed when they and others aboard the largest ship, the Mavi Marmara, attacked the Israeli boarding party.

Erdogan called the operation an act of piracy. And even though Washington and other Western powers agree with Israel that the Gaza blockade is legal and legitimate, the Obama Administration has decided that it is more politically expedient to simply have Israel meet Erdogan's unreasonable demands (as if that won't have any long-term negative consequences).

A year ago, Obama actually pressured Erdogan to either make up with Israel, or risk his ability to purchase American weapons. But, like other Middle East powers embroiled in conflict with Israel, Erdogan had learned that Western threats are fleeting and toothless. Obama never followed through on that ultimatum, and all Erdogan had to do was wait one year for Washington to decide to start pressuring Israel, instead.

What's worse, the Obama Administration's pressure on Israel - the party it agrees is in the right - has also reportedly come in the form of a threat.

According to the Israeli diplomats cited in the Yediot report, they were told that if Israel does not comply with Clinton's request to apologize to Turkey, the White House may suddenly find itself unable to continue building opposition to a unilateral Palestinian declaration of statehood at the UN next month.

"God forbid we apologize," declared Israeli Vice Prime Minister Moshe Ya'alon at a conference of Likud activists on Tuesday.

Demonstrating a firm understanding of Israel's regional antagonists, Ya'alon, a former IDF chief, noted that Erdogan "will never let go, even after we apologize."

Most Israeli leaders maintain that the flotilla raid was legal and that the deaths, while regrettable, cannot be blamed on Israel. The Israelis fear that meeting Erdogan's demands will negate that position, and play into the hands of those who claim Israel is conducting a cruel and inhumane siege against Gaza.

However, Israel is more easily pressured than its neighbors, and those same Israeli leaders are even more afraid of upsetting the White House. As such, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's cabinet has for weeks been debating not just if, but how to apologize to Turkey in a way that does the least harm to Israel.

-The Gipper

Since I travel around the world a lot, I don't visit this forum that often, but its interesting to read the thread once in a while.

I wish everyone could meet the ordinary people that I do, they are not ultra religious or political, left alone they would co exist with the "other side" without major issues.

For instance, my own experience is those actually in Israel or disputed territories are less volatile than those outside of it - why is that?

Perhaps the next bad ban should be religion, (keep it in your house) it certainly seems it can damage your health, maybe Opiates of any form seem not good for us!
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

I'm sure our state department will get right on the ball ASAP.. condemning Israel.

Multiple terror attacks rock south; 7 killed

Four terror attacks near Eilat claim seven lives, leave 31 injured as passenger bus, military patrol and private car targeted; IDF kills seven terrorists. Security forces declare high alert in southern sector

&

Israel says gunmen who came through Egypt kill 7

The terrorists bordering Israel should be counting their lucky stars they have not turned the property at it's borders into one big f*cking parking lot.

-The Gipper

Maybe some baBY NUKES would teach the terrorists some manners, dead terrorists dont' kill.
    Dr. Seuss for 2011:I do not like this Uncle Sam, I do not like his health care scam. I do not like these dirty crooks, or how they lie and cook the books. I do not like when Congress steals, I do not like their secret deals. I do not like ex-speaker Nan, I do not like this 'YES WE CAN'..I do not like this spending spree, I'm smart, I know that nothing's free. I do not like their smug replies, when I complain about their lies. I do not like this kind of hope. I do not like it. Nope, nope, nope!

^ Why baby nukes, use the real deal and Git 'R Done......

Maybe if Israel promises to make nice with Turkey the "leading from behind" administration will have a look at stopping the flow. After of course they are done asking the rebels "pretty phlueese with sugar on top" for the Lockerbie bomber.

Israel says Gaza gets anti-plane arms from Libya

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Palestinians in Gaza have acquired anti-aircraft and anti-tank rockets from Libya during its six-month civil war, enlarging but not significantly improving their arsenal, Israeli officials said on Monday.

While the rebellion against Muammar Gaddafi has stirred concern abroad about the fate of Libya's aging chemical weapons stockpiles, Israel has no indication Hamas or other Palestinian factions have sought these, the officials said.

Instead, Israeli officials have detected an inflow of SA-7 anti-aircraft missiles and rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), said one official, describing an overland supply route that opened up between eastern Libya -- after it fell to the rebels -- and the Gaza Strip via Egypt.

"We've been seeing more SA-7s and RPGs coming across," said the official. "It's not a major qualitative enhancement for them."

The Soviet-designed SA-7 is a shoulder-fired, heat-seeking missile which Israel said Palestinians had previously smuggled into Gaza. Rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), designed to penetrate armor, are plentiful in the territory.

Another Israeli official said "thousands" of the weapons had reached Gaza in recent months, but did not provide figures on how many had originated in Libya.

Egypt's Sinai peninsula, which borders both Israel and Gaza, has long seen traffic in arms bound for Palestinians. The weapons come up through Sudan or arrive by ship over the Mediterranean.

State television reported in Cairo on Monday that Egyptian border guards had discovered "a large quantity" of weapons at the border with Libya, giving no more details.

Hamas, an Islamist group that governs Gaza, and smaller armed factions declined comment on the Israeli statements.

Egypt has stepped up efforts to impose order in Sinai, though Cairo's authority has been weakened by the citizen revolt that forced President Hosni Mubarak from power.

(Writing by Dan Williams; Editing by Roger Atwood)

-The Gipper

^^^^........and have fully dispensed the $690m Hillary promised.......

Palestinians are taking their grievance theater on the road to the UN this week. Seems they are as underwhelmed with the Obami as many here in the states. Should be interesting to see if or how cankles handles this... hope she gets the spelling on her "reset" button right this time.

Palestinian U.N. Statehood Bid -- More Broadway Theater Than a Serious Effort to Achieve Middle East Peace

The Palestinian Authority (“P.A.”) is proceeding full steam ahead to create “facts on the ground” in the Middle East by working the Manhattan corridors of the United Nations. This is neither the first time, nor undoubtedly the last, that Palestinian leaders have succumbed to the delusion that Middle Eastern reality can be changed by irrelevant U.N. activity.

The tactical ploys and counter-ploys are now flying around the U.N. compound. In the midst of all of the conflicting news reports we will see and hear, keep in mind one thing: this is more Broadway theater than a serious effort to achieve Middle East peace.

The odds of “Palestine” becoming a U.N. member are essentially zero. Although President Obama may once have toyed with not vetoing a PA move for membership (thus, ironically, encouraging the chaos now unfolding at Turtle Bay), he has rejected this counterproductive idea. Washington will veto, period.

Possibly, the P.A. bid may not even obtain the majority of nine (out of fifteen) Security Council votes it needs under the U.N. Charter, thus meaning that, technically, Washington’s “no” vote would not actually be a “veto.”

Accordingly, I think it unlikely that the P.A. will go to the Council. Although in the U.N. Twilight Zone, defeat is often spun as a moral victory, any more such “victories” for the P.A. could mean its complete collapse.

Most likely, therefore, the P.A. will seek a U.N. General Assembly vote, perhaps recognizing the P.A.’s “statehood,” or perhaps changing its U.N. status from “observer organization” to “observer state.” Given the General Assembly’s political layout, any such resolution, no matter how worded, will pass overwhelmingly.

But what exactly will that mean? Many in Israel and America are panicked at the prospect of “Palestine” being declared a “state,” even if merely an “observer.” Israel officials will be hauled before the International Criminal Court (“ICC”) for prosecution, they say, “Palestine” will suddenly assume control over its air space and waters adjacent to Gaza, they say, impairing Israel’s self-defense. And on and on and on, they say.

This is all nonsense. The only practical result of the General Assemble declaring “Palestine” a state will be to move its chair on the side of the Assembly hall a few feet from its present location to be next to the Vatican, the only other “observer state.” This is nothing to get excited about.

But what of the hysterical concerns so many express, typically to insist that Israel should offer concessions to the P.A. to forestall any U.N. vote? In fact, General Assembly resolutions are not binding on anyone other than itself. It could declare Disneyland an observer state, and treat it accordingly, but no one else need do so.

If the ICC were to interpret a General Assembly resolution as permitting “Palestine” to become a party to the ICC’s founding treaty, the Rome Statute, it would be making a political decision not a legal decision, and one clearly beyond its authority.

Such an irresponsible ICC action would transform the currently dim chances of America ever joining into an absolute certainty. U.S. opposition to the ICC is already strong, and targeting Israel would lock in our opposition as far into the future as predictive powers allow. Any other U.N. agency making the same decision would risk grave damage, including possibly losing U.S. funding. Bring it on.

The PA’s ill-advised U.N. stratagem will not improve the chances for Middle East peace, it will not truly enhance the PA’s status, and it will not improve living conditions for average Palestinians. This entire episode is fantasy, and should be so regarded, whatever happens on First Avenue.

Former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton, is a Fox News contributor and a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, is the author of "Surrender Is Not an Option: Defending America at the United Nations" (Simon & Schuster, 2007).
    Video: A brief history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict

-The Gipper

Is Obama's rep to the UN going to veto the independent Palestinian vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Is Obama's rep to the UN going to veto the independent Palestinian vote?
    IIRC he is claiming he would. From what I've read he is trying to stop the vote from happening to avoid embarrassment.

-The Gipper

According to the SCOAMF statements and resolutions = just words.

Obama Says Palestinians Are Using Wrong Forum

. . .
    “Peace will not come through statements and resolutions at the U.N.,” Mr. Obama said, in an address before world leaders at the General Assembly. “If it were that easy, it would have been accomplished by now.”
    . . .
    Read the whole thing if you can stomach the NYSlimes.... bottom line = fail.

-The Gipper