View Poll Results: Which brand Pre-N router do you recommend?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linksys

3 27.27%
  • Netgear

1 9.09%
  • D-Link

7 63.64%
  • Buffalo

0 0%
  • Other (please explain)

0 0%

What Pre-N Wireless router would you recommend?

I'm looking for a Pre-N wireless router, but I've had horrible luck with routers over the past few years. Most of the routers I've used have had very bad lockup issues and some required daily power resets to recover.

Due to my current needs with Media Center and an XBox 360 extender, I currently have 2 routers and a wireless bridge. It's a mess, and I'd like to get rid of one of the routers. The second router is 802.11a and is dedicated to the MCE - XBox360 extender. It's not really all that great and I'm upgrading to a Cablecard Media Center soon and I'll need more bandwidth to handle the HD to the extender. Anyone have good experience with any of the Pre-N routers?
    Folding systems: Can't even keep track any more....

My Heatware
    Folding in memory of Sharon Sharp 9/21/47-5/16/05

Re: What Pre-N Wireless router would you recommend?

Been using a Linksys WRT54G with my folding rigs for months now, no problems at all. Excellent range.

That's the router I'm using now for the main internet connection. Unfortunately, 802.11g isn't recommended for use with XBOX360 MCE extenders. I'm leaning towards another Linksys, but I wanted to see what everyone thought first.

My Heatware

I did some research and I'm leaning towards the D-Link DIR-655 currently. Anyone have any experience with that one?

My Heatware

I voted Netgear. When not using WiFi they are amazing, and I love the look
    E6600 Stock (AMD)
    Gigabyte GA965P S3
    2GB 800Mhz Geil DDR2
    640Mb 8800GTS
    250GB SATA II (Maxtor)
    18x Sony DVDRW+-
    WinXP Pro SP2 Fully updated
    Make it your own!

Quote Originally Posted by WScottCross View Post
    That's the router I'm using now for the main internet connection. Unfortunately, 802.11g isn't recommended for use with XBOX360 MCE extenders. I'm leaning towards another Linksys, but I wanted to see what everyone thought first.
    Wow. That's just madness! 802.11n is currently draft technology and still MS push this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Wow. That's just madness! 802.11n is currently draft technology and still MS push this?
    That's not what I said. Actually, MS recommends using 802.11a (that's what I was using) because it is less susceptible to interference. That still wasn't giving me enough throughput for HD streaming.

I bit the bullet and bought a D-Link DIR-655 and ended up with a DWA-556 desktop adapter for the VMC box. The XBOX360 is wired to the router now and the VMC is wireless. It took a little fiddling to get good throughput, but now the "Tune Network" display shows a maxed out connection so I shouldn't have any problems with streaming HD once I get the CableCards installed on Friday.

I learned the hard way that USB Wireless adapters are not supported in Media Center. There are no error messages other than a cryptic message stating the an extender was found and set up but is currently unavailable. If it's not supported, why can't they just give you an error message stating that? It obviously was able to detect it and therefore made the extender "unavailable". I understand why it's not supported (it really messed up the audio on the VMC), but how hard would it be to give us a meaningful error message?

OK, I'm done ranting now. Thanks to everyone for voting.

My Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    Been using a Linksys WRT54G with my folding rigs for months now, no problems at all. Excellent range.
    Are you using the DD-WRT firmware?