PC will not show up in Workgroup Network

Im trying to add a new pc to a network I have set up. All the pcs are running xp pro and the other pcs that I already have all see each other fine. Its only the new pc that cannot see any of those pcs and they cant see it.

All of the pcs are working through wired connections via a linksys router

Ive tried the usual setup for a network, running the setup on the new pc and the ones already on the network. Ive compared the configurations on the networked pcs and this new one and I cant see anything out of the ordinary.

I can ping the new pc from any of the networked pcs though, and I can remote desktop to any of the networked pcs from the new pc. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: PC will not show up in Workgroup Network

Sometimes it can take 10 minutes or longer for a machine to show up, and be able to see, other machines in a workgroup. Also, temporarily disable any firewalls, including Windows'.

Unfortunately, it never shows up. I can connect to the new pc and from it via remote desktop, but it just wont show up in the workgroup with the other pcs, which I happen to need. I need to be able to setup network shares, etc.

Could something set in the router block this? Or is more likely somehting going wrong with the windows network software on the pc?

The first thing to check is for software firewalls blocking it from appearing. You can set up shares without it appearing because it's not strictly required with w2k and XP (and I would guess, Vista) that the machines be in the same workgroup. Since you can apparently communicate with other machines, and vice versa, you can map network drives and/or Add a Network Place without regard to whether it shows up in a particular workgroup.

Make sure you are in the same workgroup, though I assume you already did that.

Can you access shares between them? Maybe file sharing is not setup on the new machine. What if you start>run "\\compname" where compname is of course the name of the new computer.
    TForce550se|brisbane3600@2.4ghz|2x1gb|7900gs@550/800

turn off simple file sharing?
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

the computer not showing up in my network places doesn't really matter. just go to Start>Run and type in \\computername\sharename. If this doesn't work then try \\IP_address\sharename. If they are not in the same workgroup I believe you can still connect so long as you provide correct credentials when it prompts for creds i.e. computername\username and enter password for the username. to make it easier I would setup the same users on all PCs along with their corresponding passwords.